I am the Dean of the School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering at Loughborough University, Professor of Construction Sociology and a member of the Construction Management Research Group.
Research and expertise
My research expertise is in the sociologies of construction practice.
My research expertise is in the sociologies of construction practice. For the past 25 years my research has focused on the social rules and processes that affect people working as members of project teams. A concurrent stream of work has developed new approaches to managing people within the construction sector, and for integrating human resource management practices with business objectives. I have an interdisciplinary approach to much of my work and enjoy collaborating with academics from across the engineering, social sciences, business and economics fields. I also collaborate with many leading construction organisations and client bodies and have advised many large organisations as well as government committees and non-governmental organisations.
Over my research career I have led a research portfolio totalling almost £10m. I currently hold grants from the EPSRC and Innovate UK. I have published over 400 peer reviewed papers, am author/editor of 10 books and research monographs and have written numerous book chapters and professional reports. My international profile includes speaking engagements and visiting professorships including previous appointments at Queensland University of Technology (Australia), Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden) and the University of Zagreb (Croatia). I am currently visiting professor at University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia. I am a past chair of the Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM), a member of the CIB Programme Board (2010 - 2013) and was founder and joint coordinator of CIB TG 76 on ‘Recognizing Innovation in Construction’. I am currently the co-editor-in-chief of the leading peer-reviewed research journal Construction Management and Economics having been Associate Editor since 2007.
Recent publications: 2014-2019
- Sang, K.J.C., Dainty, A.R.J. and Ison, S.G. (2014) Gender in the UK Architectural Profession: (re)producing and challenging hegemonic masculinity. Work, Employment and Society, 28(2), pp. 247–264.
- Sage, D., Dainty, A.R.J. and Brookes, N. J. (2014) A critical argument in favour of theoretical pluralism: project failure and the many and varied limitations of project management. International Journal of Project Management, 34(4), pp. 544-555.
- Johnstone, S., Wilkinson, A. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2014) Reconceptualizing the Service Paradox in Manufacturing Companies: Is HR a Missing Link? IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 61(2), pp. 275,284.
- Sage, D., Dainty, A.R.J., Fussey, P. Sircar, I. and Goodier, C.I. (2014) Understanding and Enhancing Future Infrastructure Resiliency: A Socio-Ecological Approach. Disasters, 32(7-8), pp. 773-786.
- Smiley, J-P., Fernie, S. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2014) Understanding Construction Reform Discourses. Construction Management and Economics, 32(7-8), pp. 804-815.
- Pink, S, Morgan, J and Dainty, A.R.J. (2014) Safety in Movement: Mobile Workers, Mobile Media. Mobile Media & Communication, 2(3), pp. 335-351.
- Sage, D.J., Dainty, A.R.J., Tryggestad K, Justesen L and Mouritsen J (2014) Building with wildlife: project geographies and cosmopolitics in infrastructure construction. Construction Management and Economics, 32(7-8), pp. 773-786.
- Sackey, E., Tuuli, M.M. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2014) A Sociotechnical Systems (STS) Approach to BIM Implementation in a Multidisciplinary Construction Context. ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering, 31(1).
- Story, V.M., Daniels, K., Zolkiewski, J. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2014) The barriers and consequences of radical innovations. Industrial Marketing Management, 43(8), pp. 1271-1277.
- Pink, S., Morgan, J. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2014) ‘Managing the Safe Hand’: Gels, water, gloves and the materiality of tactile knowing. Journal of Material Culture, 19(4), pp. 425–442.
- Christina, S., Waterson, P. Dainty, A.R.J. and Daniels, K. (2014) A Socio-technical Approach to Improving Retail Energy Efficiency Behaviours. Applied Ergonomics, 47, pp. 324–335. Highly Commended (Best Paper category) at the Loughborough Energy Medals 2015).
- Pink S, Morgan J, Dainty A.R.J. (2015) Other people’s homes as sites of uncertainty: ways of knowing and being safe. Environment and Planning A, 47(2), pp. 450 – 464.
- Gosling, J., Naim, M., Towill, D. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2015) Principles for the design and operation of engineer-to-order supply chains in the construction sector. Production Planning and Control, 23(6), pp. 203-218.
- Upstill-Goddard, J., Glass, J., Dainty, A.R.J. and Nicholson, I. (2015) Analysis of responsible sourcing performance in BES 6001 certificates. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering Sustainability, 168(2), pp. 71-81.
- Sage, D, Fussey, P and Dainty, A.R.J. (2015) Securing and Scaling Resilient Futures: Neoliberalization, Infrastructure and Topologies of Power. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 33, pp. 494 -511.
- O’Keefe, D., Thomson, D. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2015) Evaluating the design of hospitals within a practice order network. Construction Management and Economics, 33(5-6), pp. 415-427.
- Koch, C., Sage, D., Dainty, A.R.J. and Simonsen, R. (2015) Understanding operations strategizing in project-based organisations: middle managers’ interaction and strategy praxis. Engineering Project Organization Journal, 5(2–3), pp. 106–117. Awarded Best Paper of 2015 by the Journal.
- Lizerralde, G., Chmutina, K, Bosher, L. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2015) Sustainability and resilience in the built environment: The challenges of establishing a turquoise agenda in the UK. Sustainable Cities and Society, 15, pp. 96-104.
- Schmidt, R.S. III and Dainty, A.R.J. (2015) The influence of practice culture on designed artefacts. Architectural Review Quarterly, 19(4), pp. 397-409.
- Chmutina, K, Lizeralde, G., Dainty, A.R.J. and Bosher, L (2016) Unpacking resilience policy discourse. Cities, 58, pp. 70-79.
- Upstill-Goddard, J., Glass, J., Dainty, A. R. J. and Nicholson, I. (2016) Implementing sustainability in small and medium-sized construction firms: the role of absorptive capacity. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 23(4), pp. 407-427.
- Sage, D. Justesen, L, Dainty, A.R.J., Tryggestad, K. and Mouritsen, J. (2016) Organizing space and time through relational human-animal boundary work: Exclusion, Invitation and Disturbance. Organization, 23(3), pp. 434-450.
- Pink, S., Waterson, P., Dainty, A., Cheyne, A., Haslam, R., Gibb, A., Morgan, J., Hartley, R., Finneran, A. and Bust, P. (2016) Interdisciplinary Research for Occupational Safety and Health Knowledge. Policy and Practice in Health and Safety, 14(1), pp. 22–33.
- Pinder, J., Gibb, A., Dainty, A., Jones, W., Fray, M., Hartley, R, Cheyne, A., Finner, A. Glover, J. Haslam, R. , Morgan, J., Waterson, P., Gosling, E., Bust, P. and Pink, S. (2016) Occupational safety and health and smaller organisations: Research challenges and opportunities. Policy and Practice in Health and Safety, 14(1), pp. 34-49.
- Dainty, A.R.J., Leiringer, R., Fernie, S., and Harty, C.F. (2017) BIM and the Small Construction Firm: A Critical Perspective. Building Research and Information, 45(6), pp. 696-709.
- Christina, S., Dainty, A.R.J., Daniels, K., Tregaskis, O. and Waterson, P. (2017) Shut the Fridge Door! HRM Alignment, Job Redesign and Energy Performance. Human Resource Management Journal, 27(3), pp. 382–402.
- Sherratt, F. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2017) UK Construction Safety: A Zero Paradox? Policy and Practice in Health and Safety. Policy and Practice in Health and Safety, 15(2), pp. 108-116. Responses to the Vision Zero Articles.
- Grove, E., Dainty, A.R.J.,Thomson, D. and Thorpe, A. (2017) ''Becoming collaborative”: A study of intra-organisational relational dynamics. Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, 23(1), pp. 6-23.
- Brookes, N., Sage, D., Dainty, A.R.J., Locatelli, G and Whyte, J., (2018) An island of constancy in a sea of change: rethinking project temporalities with long-term megaprojects. International Journal of Project Management, 35(7), pp. 1213-1224.
- Barnard, S. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2018) Coming out and staying in industry: How sexual orientation and gender identity matters in construction employment. Municipal Engineer, 171(3), pp. 141-148.
- Harvey, E.J., Waterson, P. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2018) Beyond ConCA: Rethinking Causality and Construction Accidents. Applied Ergonomics, 73, pp. 108-121. DOI: 10.1016/j.apergo.2018.06.001
- Chumutina, K., Fussey, P., Dainty, A.R.J. and Bosher, L. (2018) Implications of transforming climate change risks into security risks. Disaster Prevention and Management, Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 27(5), pp. 460-477.
- Oswald, D., Sherratt, F., Smith, S. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2018) An exploration into the implications of the ‘compensation culture’ on construction safety. Safety Science, 109, pp. 294-302.
- Vitry, C, Sage, D, Dainty, A. (Accepted for publication) Affective atmospheres of sensemaking and learning: workplace meetings as aesthetic and anaesthetic, Management Learning, ISSN: 1350-5076.
- Brett, R, Thomson, D, Dainty, A. (2019) Coping with stone: a short-term ethnography of skilled work in UK housebuilding. In ARCOM 2019, Leeds, UK, pp. 12-21.
- Harvey, E., Pinder, J., Haslam, R., Dainty, A., Gibb, A. (2019) The use of actor-based immersive health and safety inductions: Lessons from the Thames Tideway Tunnel megaproject, Applied Ergonomics: Human factors in technology and society, 82, 102955, ISSN: 0003-6870. DOI: 10.1016/j.apergo.2019.102955.
- Jones, W., Gibb, A., Haslam, R., Dainty, A. (2019) Work-related ill-health in construction: the importance of scope, ownership and understanding, Safety Science, 120, pp. 538-550, ISSN: 0925-7535. DOI: 10.1016/j.ssci.2019.07.038.
- Sackey, E., Tuuli, M.M., Dainty, A. (2019) Expansive learning in contemporary construction organisations, in Built Environment Project and Asset Management, 9(3), pp. 383-398, ISSN: 2044-124X. DOI: 10.1108/BEPAM-06-2018-0092.
- McCarthy, C., Thomson, D., Barnard, S., Dainty, A. (2019) Pushing the limits: The need for a behavioural approach to equality in Civil Engineering. International Journal of Gender, Science and Technology, 11(1), pp. 146-174, ISSN: 2040-0748.
- Fuller, P., Randall, R., Dainty, A., Haslam, R., Gibb, A. (2019) Applying a longitudinal tracer methodology to evaluate complex interventions in complex settings. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 28(4), pp.443-452, ISSN: 1464-0643. DOI: 10.1080/1359432X.2019.1598973.
- Sage, D., Vitry, C., Dainty, A. (2019) Exploring the organizational proliferation of new technologies: an affective actor-network theory. Organization Studies, ISSN: 0170-8406. DOI: 10.1177/0170840618815524.
- Harvey, E., Waterson, P., Dainty, A. (2019) Impact of the ‘Contributing Factors in Construction Accidents’ (ConCA) model. In, Florence, Italy, pp. 310-319, ISBN: 9783319960708. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-96071-5_33.
- Nikolaidou, E., Yu, Y., Schmidt-III, R., Dainty, A., Cook, M., Chmutina, K., Marini, D. (2019) 'Inside the box': a cooperative game for co-creating energy efficient retail spaces. Presented at the 16th IBPSA International Conference and Exhibition (BS2019), Rome, Italy, 2-4 September 2019.
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the School’s programmes including:
- Research Methods
- Human Resource Management
- Project Management
- Supervision of dissertations on topics aligned to my research interests
- Research Methods
I am an expert on the sociologies of construction practice. For the past 25 years my research has focused on the social rules and processes that affect people working as members of project teams.
Over my career, I have led a research portfolio totalling well over £9m, have published over 400 peer-reviewed papers (including over 175 peer-reviewed journal papers), have written and edited 10 books and research monographs as well as numerous book chapters and professional reports. Having amassed well over 13,000 citations and with an H-index of 65, my work has been referenced across many research fields and practice communities.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building
- Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- Winner, Most Theoretically Informed Paper Award, ARCOM Annual Conference 2013, Portsmouth, UK.
- Smiley, J., Dainty, A. and Fernie, S. (2014) Construction policy research: Beware reason masquerading as truth In: Raiden, A B and Aboagye-Nimo, E (Eds) Procs 30th Annual ARCOM Conference, 1-3 September 2014, Portsmouth, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 1083-1092.
- Winner, Emerald award for best methodology-based paper Award, ARCOM Annual Conference 2014, Portsmouth, UK.
- O’Keeffe, D.J., Thomson, D.S. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2014) An illustration of the development of a strategy for evaluating the design of hospitals within a practice order network In: Raiden, A B and Aboagye-Nimo, E (Eds) Procs 30th Annual ARCOM Conference, 1-3 September 2014, Portsmouth, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 1265-1274.
- Highly Commented, Loughborough University Energy Medals 2015 (best paper category).
- Christina, S., Waterson, P.E., Dainty, A.R.J. and Daniels, K. (2015), A socio-technical approach to improving retail energy efficiency behaviours. Applied Ergonomics, 47, 324-335.
- Winner, Best Paper of the Conference, Engineering Project Organization Conference 2015, Edinburgh, UK.
- Dainty, A.R.J., Leiringer, R., Fernie, S. and Harty, C.F. (2015) Don't believe the (BIM) hype: The unexpected Corollaries of the UK 'BIM Revolution'. In Proceedings of the EPOC 2015 Conference (C. Dossick and G. Macht Eds.), Edinburgh, UK.
- Winner. Best Paper Award, CIB World Building Congress 2016, Tampere, Finland, June 3 2016.
- Pinder, J., Gibb, A.G.F. and Dainty, A.R.J. (2016) Using Institutional Theory to understand occupational safety and health practices in smaller construction firms in the UK.
- Winner, Best Paper of the Year Award, Engineering Project Organization Journal 2017.
- Koch, C., Sage, D., Dainty, A.R.J. and Simonsen, R. (2015) Understanding operations strategizing in project-based organisations: middle managers’ interaction and strategy praxis. Engineering Project Organization Journal, Vol. 5, Nos. 2–3, 106–117.
- Winner, Best Theoretically Informed Paper, ARCOM 2018.
- Grove, E., Dainty, A.R.J., Thomson, D. and Thorpe, A. (2018) Becoming Collaborative: Enhancing the Understanding of Intra-Organisational Dynamics. In proc of 34th Annual ARCOM Conference (C. Gorse Ed), Belfast, 3 – 5 September.
- Chairman – Association of Researchers in Construction Management (2008-2010)
- Joint Co-ordinator – CIB TG76 – Recognising Innovation in Construction (2009-2013)
- Member of CIB Programme Board (2010-2013)
- Member of EPSRC Peer Review College
- EPSRC Responsive Mode Panel Member – Engineering
- Reviewer for the British Academy /Association of Commonwealth Universities Grants for International Collaboration Scheme
- International Assessor for the South African National Research Foundation
- External member of the University of Salford Academic Audit and Governance Committee (ethics panel) (AAGC) (2009-2012)
- Expert Member – ConstructionSkills LMI Technical Research Reference Group (2008)
- External Advisor to the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Education (2011)
- Grant Application Reviewer for the Leverhulme Trust (since 2011)
- Chair – CITB Regional Observatory on Skills Demand (2005-2008)
- Member of the International Peer Review College for the Australian Research Council (from April 2014)