Research and expertise
Construction Management Group Lead
I joined the Construction Management Group at Loughborough in 2005 and have been the group lead since 2019. I conduct researchin all aspects of information management in design, construction and the built environment. I primarily teach Design Mangaement at MSc level, and am Programme Director for Loughborough’s renowned Construction MSc programmes.
I am broadly interested in information management, and led the Centre for Digital Built Britain Neterowrk For ONTologies And Inormartion maNagemenbt (Network FOuNTAIN, https://www.cdbb.cam.ac.uk/CDBBResearchBridgehead/Networks/2018Network_FOuNTAIN).
I worked with Dr Karen Blay on the follow-up CDBB project on resilience in information management. Within the broad area of information management, I am particularly interested in information retrieval and have developed a search engine for building information models, along with colleagues, as part of the 3DIR project: https://www.3dir.org/.
Current research activity
- Network FOuNTAIN: https://www.cdbb.cam.ac.uk/CDBBResearchBridgehead/Networks/2018Network_FOuNTAIN
- Three-Dimensional Information Retrieval: https://www.3dir.org/
Recently completed research projects
- Lifting Wing EPSRC Engineering Doctorate
- Finding Needles in (Hierarchical) Haystacks, Leverhulme Trust
- Design ScoreBOARD, Co-I, EPSRC/AHRC
- Innovative, effective, enjoyable? (Academic Workspaces), Co-I, HEFCE
- Nazarian, M., Price, A., Demian, P., & Malekzadeh, M. (2018). Design lessons from the analysis of nurse journeys in a hospital ward. HERD: Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 11(4), 116-129.Bullet point
- Jallow, A. K., Demian, P., Anumba, C. J., & Baldwin, A. N. (2017). An enterprise architecture framework for electronic requirements information management. International Journal of Information Management, 37(5), 455-472.
- Greenroyd, F. L., Hayward, R., Price, A., Demian, P., & Sharma, S. (2018). A tool for signage placement recommendation in hospitals based on wayfinding metrics. Indoor and Built Environment, 27(7), 925-937.
- Demian, P., Ruikar, K., Sahu, T., & Morris, A. (2016). Three-Dimensional Information Retrieval (3DIR): exploiting 3D geometry and model topology in information retrieval from BIM environments. International Journal of 3-D Information Modeling (IJ3DIM), 5(1), 67-78.
- Greenroyd, F. L., Hayward, R., Price, A., Demian, P., & Sharma, S. (2016). Using evidence-based design to improve pharmacy department efficiency. HERD: Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 10(1), 130-143.
- Krystallis, I., Demian, P., & Price, A. D. (2015). Using BIM to integrate and achieve holistic future-proofing objectives in healthcare projects. Construction Management and Economics, 33(11-12), 890-906.
- Liu, Z., Osmani, M., Demian, P., & Baldwin, A. (2015). A BIM-aided construction waste minimisation framework. Automation in construction, 59, 1-23.
Programme Director, MSc Construction Project Management / MSc Construction Project Management with BIM
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the Schools programmes. I generally deliver sessions on IT and design management, including:
- Design Briefing as part of Design Project modules
- Virtual Working to final year Architecutral Engineering students
- Construction IT to Civil Engineering students
- I lead the Design Management module, as part of the Constuction MSc peogrammes
s3DIR: Updating the Three-Dimensional Information Retrieval (3DIR) to comply with Standards
Recently completed projects
I joined Loughborough as a Lecturer in Construction Management in 2005, following MSc/PhD degrees in Civil Engineering from Stanford University and BA/MA/MEng degrees in Engineering from Cambridge University (Selwyn College). I was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2012 and Reader in 2017. In 2019, I took on leadership of the Construction Management Group, the largest group in the School by number of academics.
I have had a variety of industrial experience. I spent a year before going to university working for British Gas as a database programmer. During my undergraduate degree at Cambridge, I spent a summer working for the National Centre for Hydraulic Engineering in France, which was then part of Electricité de France, in Chambéry, France. During my studies at Stanford, I worked as a technology consultant with a local design firm, KL&A Engineers in Menlo Park, California.
- Member of th Chatered Institute of Building
- Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- Fellow of HEA
- 3DIR, Highly Commended, Best Research Project at LU Built Environment Awards, 2018
- Outstanding Reviewer status, Elsevier, Automation in Construction, 2015
- Top 10 Most Loaded Paper, Automation in Construction, 2015
- Top 10 Most Downloed Papeper, Construction Management and Econmics, 2013
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, ASCE J of Computing in Civil Engineering, 2012
- Stanford School of Engineering Broeren Fellowship, 1999
- About 20 research degree external examinations at various universities , including: Cambridge University, Universiti Teknologi Mara Malaysia, Anna University India, Bath University, Reading University, Cardiff University, Huddersfield University, Northumbria University, Robert Gordon University.
- External MSc Examiner, 2013-2017, Middlesex University, MSc Building Information Modelling Management
- External Examiner, Engineering (Levels 4-6). University of Northampton, 2011-2015
- External Examiner, Postgraduate Programmes in Built Environment, Robert Gordon University, 2010-2014
- Member of International Advisory Board of India BIM Association since 2018
- Member of Horizon Group of the Supply Chain Sustainability School since 2018
- Invited to present at Stanford University's AEC Global Teamwork 25 yr anniversary, 2018
- China Lecture Tour, Summer 2016. Trip hosted by ACG China, presented research at over 10 universities, including NCUT, SCUT, Shanghai University, Shandong University.
- Active member of BIM Academic Forum, contributed to report https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/system/files/bim_june2013.pdf
- Invited to present research at Cambridge University Seminars of Engineering Department (2009) and Distributed Information and Automation Laboratory (2013)
- Keynote speaker, International Conference on Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering (ICSEE - 2011).with Indian Concrete Institute, KSR College of Engineering
My research and enterprise activities are conducted with a range of academic and stakeholder partners, including:
- Cambridge University, Centre for Digital Built Britain
- Stanford University, Project-Based Learning Laboratory