Research and expertise
- Developing Protocols for Planning in a Virtual Prototyping Environment
- Reinventing the Hong Kong Construction Industry for Sustainable Development
- Repair, Maintenance and Sustainability of Ageing Residential Building Stock in Hong Kong
- Design for Waste Minimization by Modelling and Optimization
- Integrated Collaborative Design; Process Protocol
- Co-ordinator of CIB Task Group TG71, Research and Innovation Transfer.
- Visiting Professor, Chongqing University, China.
- Honorary Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
- Overseas Member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Chongqing University (Natural Science Edition) Editorial Board member of the journal Automation in Construction.
- A regular reviewer of academic papers for leading construction journals and regular technical committee member for international academic conferences.
- Monitoring and Assessments for GRF (formerly CERG) projecs for the University Grants Committee of Hong Kong
Educated at Dorking County Grammar School. BSc (Hons) in Civil Engineering from City University, London. MSc in Construction Management from Loughborough University. Doctoral research in Computer Aided Estimating at Loughborough University. Extensive construction industry experience with leading contractors and engineering organisations on major civil engineering projects and the development of management information systems for construction organisations. Appointed Lecturer in Construction Management at Loughborough University in 1989, Senior Lecturer, 1995, Head of Department,1998. Awarded a Personal Chair in Construction Management Systems at Loughborough University 2000. Appointed Chair Professor in Building and Head of Department of Building and Real Estate, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, 2003. Appointed Dean of the Faculty of Construction and Land Use, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, 2005-2007.
Broad interests and activities
Interests include the design and implementation of Management Information Systems with a focus on process modelling; information management, design management; collaborative working; and re-engineering of business processes. Administrative expertise and academic management interests include Quality Assurance for Teaching and Learning and Research. Staff Appraisal and Staff Performance Monitoring. Performance assessment of academic departments. Development of collaborative research programmes with industry. Research and Innovation transfer.
- Member of The Institution of Civil Engineers,1976
- Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 2000
- Member of The Federation of European Engineers, 1990
- Fellow and Eminent Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, 2005