Research and expertise
During my master's studies, I was interested in the applications of solar thermal energy in meeting domestic hot water requirements of buildings. Later I tried to investigate the technical feasibility of integrating solar energy (both solar thermal collectors and PV panels) with advanced cooling/heating systems in locations with high levels of solar radiation to devise solar cooling (and heating) systems.
As well as an academic background, I have several years of work experience in the HVAC industry and have worked as the sales support engineer and product manager with world-renown Variable Refrigerant Volume (VRF) Heat Pump manufacturers.
Currently, I am researching grey-box performance-based molding techniques and their applicability in existing office buildings in the UK.
My expertise and research interests include:
- Building energy modeling
- Buildings physics
- HVAC systems and equipment
- Solar energy
- Gilani HA, Hoseinzadeh S. Techno-economic study of compound parabolic collector in solar water heating system in the northern hemisphere. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2021 May 25;190:116756. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2021.116756
- Gilani HA, Hoseinzadeh S, Karimi H, Karimi A, Hassanzadeh A, Garcia DA. Performance analysis of integrated solar heat pump VRF system for the low energy building in Mediterranean island. Renewable Energy. 2021 Aug 1;174:1006-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2021.04.081
- Gilani HA, Hoseinzadeh S, Esmaeilion F, Memon S, Garcia DA, Assad ME. A solar thermal driven ORC-VFR system employed in the subtropical Mediterranean climatic building. Energy. 2022 Jul 1;250:123819. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2022.123819
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the Schools programmes including:
- Heat transfer
- Solar thermal engineering
- Design Builder
I received my masters in mechanical engineering at Eastern Mediterranean University in Northern Cyprus in 2019 as the top student with a CGPA of 4 out of 4. During my Master's degree, I was primarily focused on applications of solar thermal energy in meeting buildings' thermal demands. I was also a full-time teaching assistant in my department.
My software skills include:
- Design Builder
I joined the ERBE CDT program in October 2021. I am a member of the Building Energy Research Group (BERG), which aims to transform the performance of buildings for a healthy, sustainable, and zero-carbon future. I am an expert in building energy modeling (BEM), with a special interest in Net Zero Energy Buildings (NZEB) and ultra-low energy buildings such as Passive House buildings.
I am also an ASHRAE member and won second place in the 2022 ASHRAE Doctoral Researcher Student Competition, hosted by Loughborough University in May 2022.