Research and expertise
My interest in the field of Architecture is focused on the design process; this pertains to all the creative and managerial procedures that define the intellectual, formal and aesthetical parts of the practice and the architectural production.
I am a practising architect working in the field of architectural design and management. I have worked at Arata Isozaki and Associates’ office in Tokyo between April 2013 and March 2015. I have also worked as part of Kengo Kuma’s Research Laboratory at the University of Tokyo between March 2012 and March 2019.
Current research activity
- Entrepreneurship and Architecture
- Design process within the context of the Architectural Office
Recently completed research projects
- PhD dissertation: Design Processes and Management in Architecture. Kengo Kuma & Associates: Between a Design Studio and an Architectural Enterprise
- “Japanese Architects abroad: an analysis of Kuma, Ban, Fujimoto and Tane’s Strategies for opening their practices in France.” with Salvator-John A. Liotta.
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the School's programmes, including:
- Design Studio B (BArch – Part B)
- Advanced Technical Investigations (BArch – Part B)
- “ilé Apartments” in Lagos, Nigeria. 2,500m2 apartment building in Lekki area in Lagos (http://maruarchitecture.com/project/lekki2/)
Recently completed projects
As Project Manager at Maru Architecture
- Acting as Owner Representative and Construction Manager “El-Khalil Residence” in Naas, Lebanon. 3’000 square meter villa. Project built. July 2019 – October 2021 (https://www.bernardkhoury.com/project.php?id=288)
As Project Manager at Yatsu Chahal Architects
- “The Beirut Museum of Art (BeMA)”, Shortlisted with 12 other architectural offices, jury chaired by Lord (Peter) Palumbo, Chairman of The Pritzker Prize for Architecture. The jury included curators Hans-Ulrich Obrist and Dame Julia Peyton-Jones; architects George Arbid, Dr. Farès el-Dahdah, Dr. Rodolphe El-Khoury, Rem Koolhaas and Lord Richard Rogers. August 2016
As Assisting Project Manager at Isozaki, Aoki & Associates
- “Egypt-Japan University of Science & Technology” Alexandria, Egypt. 226’000 square meter educational campus with all its facilities. Project under construction. April 2013 to March 2015.
- “Qatar Education City: Building Renovations” in Doha, Qatar. 5’240 square meter educational buildings. Project under construction. April 2013 to March 2014.
- “Design Innovation & Entrepreneurship” Course at the American University in Beirut, AY 2018-19, AY 2019-20, AY 2020-21
- “Entrepreneurship & Design” Course at the Beirut Arab University, AY 2019-20
- Guiding students submitting for the “Serail Creativity Design Competition”, as a creative, efficient, professional and digitally-enabled working space within a historical Ottoman-built setting (Beirut – Lebanon), AY 2019.
- Client Representative for the Design and Construction of the “Lebanese National Museum Extension: Nuhad Es-Said Pavilion for Culture”, 2019 -2020 [Beirut, Lebanon].
- Architectural and Technical consultant for Nusaned (Lebanese NGO) for the assessment and rehabilitation works following the Beirut Port Explosion, 2020 [Beirut, Lebanon].
- Design Consultant for the design and construction of the digital fabrication laboratory at the Beirut Arab University, 2017 [Beirut, Lebanon].
I studied architecture at the American University of Beirut and completed my master's degree at the University of Tokyo under the guidance of Kengo Kuma. I specialise in architectural management, earning my second master's degree from IE University and my doctorate from the University of Tokyo.
I also worked in the field of architectural management at Arata Isozaki’s office, coordinating projects in Qatar, Egypt and France. Since 2017, I manage my practice, Maru Architecture, operating in Portugal and Lebanon. I also taught as a part-time lecturer at the American University of Beirut, the Lebanese American University, the Beirut Arab University (RIBA accredited), and Politecnico di Milano.
- Invited Jury Member and Guest Speaker at Thematic Research Seminar "The Global Architect" at Politecnico di Milano: "Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon: The Case of Burj Al Barajneh, A space of exception in an incessant temporality", October 2020 and January 2021.
- Invited Jury member at the American University of Beirut for Final Year Project (FYP), May 2018 and May 2019.
- Invited Jury member at the Lebanese American University for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th year design studios, May 2019.
- Member of the Order of Engineers & Architects – Beirut, Lebanon, Licensed Architect, 2009 – Present.
- Japanese Government “Monbukagakusho (MEXT)” Scholarship Recipient, Masters and PhD. Program at The University of Tokyo, October 2011 – October 2017.
- Honourable Mention for Best Student, Instituto de Empresa University - Master in Architectural Management & Design, February 2015 - March 2016.
- Honourable Mention for the best project “Stack Park”, Instituto de Empresa University – Master in Architectural Management & Design, March 2016.
- “Adaptive Habitats” Inle Lake, Myanmar. 2nd Prize in World Architecture Festival architectural competition. Project was done in collaboration with Juan Lago-Novas, Savitri Paisalwattana and Carmen Magrazo, November 2015.
- Redefining Tirana – Tirana, Albania: Joint Workshop between The University of Tokyo and Polis University (Albania), September 2013.
- Expo 2015, Sea & Islands Cluster – Milan, Italy: Workshop organized by Politecnico di Milano in collaboration with 18 international universities.
My research and enterprise activities are conducted with a range of academic and stakeholder partners, including:
- Bruno Marques – Architect and Co-founder at Maru Architecture (Portugal).
- Salvator-John Liotta - Associate Professor, Faculté d'Architecture La Cambre Horta, Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belguim).