Research and expertise
UKCRIC (UK Collaboratorium for Research in Infrastructure & Cities) committee
I am an expert in offsite, modern methods of construction (MMC), modular construction as well as concrete technology. I am an experienced Civil Engineer, Chartered Builder and Researcher with 25 years’ experience of all aspects of construction, including contracting, consultancy and research.
I am a Reader in Construction Engineering and Materials, and the Director of Loughborough’s Centre for Innovative and Collaborative Construction Engineering (CICE: www.lboro.ac.uk/research/cice/).
Authored books include Design in Modular Construction (https://www.amazon.com/Design-Modular-Construction-Mark-Lawson/dp/0415554500) (2014) and the RICS Future of UK Housebuilding (2010), and I am an international expert witness for offsite/modular construction (https://keystonestrategy.com/expert/chris-goodier/). I was recently invited to give evidence in person to the Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee inquiry into MMC (https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/housing-communities-and-local-government-committee/inquiries/parliament-2017/inquiry15/).
I worked previously for 7 years for Laing O’Rourke Civil Engineering and BRE and was the Lead Expert for construction on the UK Government’s Foresight Sustainable Energy Management and the Built Environment futures project. I have authored more than 200 publications in the field of offsite construction, construction technology, concrete materials, construction management, and the future of the construction sector.
Current research activity
UKCRIC PLEXUS: Priming Laboratory Experiments on Infrastructure and Urban Systems (EPSRC) https://www.ukcric.com
DECONT: Digital Enablers for Transforming Construction, Transforming Construction Network Plus, https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/construction/about-us/transforming-construction-network-plus
- Challenging Space Frontiers in Hospitals - Accelerating capabilities and advancing business models for modern manufacturing, Transforming Construction Network Plus, https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/construction/about-us/transforming-construction-network-plus
- HS2 Circular Economy EngD
Recently completed research projects
BSI Construction standards for offsite construction https://pages.bsigroup.com/offsite-construction-report
- Highways England – Offsite non-steel gantries for smart motorways
- Arup, Global Research Challenge, Deep Modularity
- Modularisation and offsite in Engineering Construction – an early decision support tool (2019), Chris I Goodier, Alistair Gibb, Mauro Mancini, Christoph Turck, Osman Gjepali, Edwin Daniels, submitted April 2019 to special issue of ICE Civil Engineering on Offsite and Smart Construction. ISSN 0965-089X | E-ISSN 1751-7672. Published Online: June 26, 2019, DOI: 10.1680/jcien.19.00015. https://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/jcien.19.00015
Isaac Galobardesa, Antonio Figueiredob, Sergio Pialarissic, Chris Goodier, Alternative quality control of sprayed concrete reinforced with steel fibres, Construction & Building Materials.
Ahmad, Y., Soetanto, R., Goodier, C.I., Lean approach in precast concrete component production, accepted 27/1/19, Journal of Built Environment Project and Asset Management. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/37050, https://doi.org/10.1108/BEPAM-02-2018-0051.
Segura-Castillo, Cavalaro, SHP, Goodier, C, Aguado, A, Austin, S., Fibre distribution and tensile response anisotropy in sprayed fibre reinforced concrete, Materials and Structure, First Online: 01 February 2018, accepted 21/11/17, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/28480, https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-018-1156-5 Online ISSN 1871-6873.
Dodds, D., Goodier, C.I., Christodoulou, C., Austin, S.A., and Dunne, D., Durability performance of sustainable structural concrete: Effect of coarse crushed concrete aggregate on microstructure and water ingress, Construction and Building Materials, Volume 145, 1 August 2017, Pages 183-195, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.03.232, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/24801
Dodds, W., Christodoulou, C., Goodier, C., Austin, S., Dunne, D., Corrosion risk assessment of structural concrete with coarse crushed concrete aggregates, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Construction Materials, ISSN 1747-650X | E-ISSN 1747-6518, Published Online: November 09, 2017 https://doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.17.00056, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/32150
Dodds, W., Christodoulou, C., Goodier, C., Austin, S., Dunne, D., Durability Performance of Sustainable Structural Concrete: Effect of coarse crushed concrete aggregate on rapid chloride migration and accelerated corrosion, Construction and Building Materials 155 (2017) 511–521, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.08.073, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/26920
Isaac Galobardes, Renan Picolo; Sergio H.P. Cavalaro; Antonio D. de Figueiredo; Chris I Goodier, Adaptation of the standard EN 196-1 for mortar with accelerator, Construction & Building Materials, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/22890, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.09.147
Jones, W., Gibb, A.G., Goodier, C.I., Bust, P., Jin, J., and Song, M. (2016), Managing the unknown: addressing the potential health risks of nanomaterials in the built environment, Construction Management and Economics, Volume 35, 2017 - Issue 3, Pages 122-136, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/22872, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2016.1241413
Dodds. W., Christodoulou, C. and Goodier, C.I. (2017), Hybrid Anode Concrete Corrosion Protection - Independent Study, ICE Construction Materials, issue 170(5), http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.16.00024, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/22886
Dodds. W., Christodoulou, C. and Goodier, C.I., Atkins, C., and Preston, J., (2017), Discussion- Hybrid Anode Concrete Corrosion Protection - Independent Study, Construction Materials 170 (5) October 2017 Issue CM5, p265–270 http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.17.00026, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/25052
Leicester, P.A., Goodier, C.I. and Rowley, P., Probabilistic Analysis of Solar PV self-consumption using Bayesian Network Models, IET Renewable Power Generation journal, Volume 10, Issue 4, April 2016, p. 448 – 455, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/19923, http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2015.0360.
Leicester, P.A., Goodier, C.I. and Rowley, P., Probabilistic Evaluation of Solar Photovoltaic Systems Using Bayesian Networks: a Discounted Cash Flow Assessment, Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications,http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pip.2754, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/20173http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pip.2754/abstract?campaign=wolearlyview
Jones, W., Gibb, A.G., Goodier, C.I., Bust, P., Jin, J., and Song, M. (2016), Nanomaterials in construction - what is being used, and where? ICE Construction Materials, ISSN 1747-650X | E-ISSN 1747-6518, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.16.00011, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/21419
Galobardes, I., Goodier, C.I., Austin, S.A., Cavalaro, S.H., Maturity Method to Predict the Evolution of the Properties of Sprayed Concrete, Construction and Building Materials, 79:357-369 15/03/15, doi:10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.12.038, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/handle/2134/17495
Goodier, C.I and Chmutina, K., Non-Technical Barriers for Decentralised Energy and Energy Efficient Buildings, International Journal of Energy Sector Management, 8(4):544-561 28/10/14, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJESM-03-2014-0001, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/25132
Rich, D., Glass, J., Gibb, A.G.F., Goodier, C.I., Optimising construction with self-compacting concrete, accepted for publication, ICE Construction Materials, Published Online: September 11, 2015, ISSN 1747-650X | E-ISSN 1747-6518,https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/19968, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/coma.14.00025. Winner of ICE Howard Award Medal for Best Paper in Journal 2017.
Mangabhai, R., Goodier, C.I., Trout, E., Hewlett, P., and Grantham, M. (2016), Concrete – innovations and practical applications, Briefing, Proc. of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Construction Materials, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.15.00055, ISSN 1747-650X | E-ISSN 1747-6518, http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/jcoma.15.00055, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/23461
Jones, W., Gibb, A.G., Goodier, C.I., Bust, P., Jin, J., and Song, M. (2015), Nanomaterials in construction and demolition – how can we assess the risk if we don’t know where they are?Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS), IOP Publishing, pp. 12031, invited submission, 617 012031 doi:10.1088/1742-6596/617/1/012031.
Sage, D., Sircar, I., Dainty, A., Fussey, P., and Goodier, C. (2015), Understanding and Enhancing Future Infrastructure Resiliency: A Socio-Ecological Approach, Disasters journal, 39 (3), July 2015, pp. 407 – 426, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/18995, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/disa.12114.
Rydin, Y., Guy, S., Devine-Wright, P., Goodier, C., Chmutina, K. and Wiersma, B., The Financial Entanglements of Local Energy Projects, Geoforum, Vol.59, Feb 2015, p1–11, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/16493, doi:10.1016/j.geoforum.2014.11.019
Vernikos, V.K., Goodier, C.I., Gibb, A.G.F., Robery, P.C., and Broyd, T. W. (2014) Building information modelling and its effect on offsite in civil engineering. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Management, Procurement and Law, BIM Special Issue, Volume 167 Issue MP3, Pages 152–159 http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/mpal.13.00031, June 2014 (ISSN 1751-4312), https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/15901.
Christodoulou, C., Webb, J., Sharifi, A. Das, S., Goodier, C., Cathodic protection on the UK’s Midland Links motorway viaducts, ICE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 167, Issue 1, August 2013 p43–53, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/bren.12.00015, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/12998.
Chmutina, K. and Goodier, C. (2014), Alternative future energy pathways: Assessment of the potential of innovative decentralised energy systems in the UK, Energy Policy, Vol.66, 62-72, March 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.10.080, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/15900.
Chmutina, K., Wiersma, B., Goodier, C.I. and Devine-Wright, P. (2014), Concern or Compliance? Drivers of Urban Renewable Energy Initiatives, Sustainable Cities and Society, 10 (2014) 122–129. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2013.07.001, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/12831
Christodoulou C, Goodier C, Austin S, Webb J, Glass G (2014), A new arrangement of galvanic anodes for the repair of reinforced concrete structures. Construction and Building Materials, 50, pp. 300-307. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/13593, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.09.062
Key books and reports
Lawson, M., Ogden, R. and Goodier, C.I. (2014), Design in Modular Construction, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis group, 280 pages, ISBN-10: 0415554500, ISBN-13: 978-0415-55450-3, http://www.amazon.com/Design-Modular-Construction-Mark-Lawson/dp/0415554500.
Goodier, C.I. and Pan, W. (2010), The Future of UK Housebuilding, RICS, London, Dec 2010, ISBN 978-1-84219-645-8, 59pp, http://hdl.handle.net/2134/8225.
- Goodier, C.I., Austin, S.A., Robins, P.J. (2001), Construction and Repair with Wet Process Sprayed Concrete and Mortar, Technical Report No.56, The Concrete Society, 46 pages. ISBN 0946691886, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/9753
Director, Centre for Innovative and Collaborative Construction Engineering (CICE)
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the Schools programmes including:
- CVA010 Engineering Materials
- CVD014 Sustainable Development Project
- CVA057 Tectonics 1 - An Introduction to Materials, Structure & Construction
- CVA102 Professional practice
- CVP038 - EngD Short Research Project
School Research Committee and Enterprise/industry Committee
Thorpe Precast UHPFRC
Balenced Earth Homes innovative housing systems www.balancedearthhomes.co.uk
Recently completed projects
Invited to give evidence to Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee, Thatcher room, House of Commons, inquiry into Modern Methods of Construction, 4/3/19.
- Expert witness for $300m+ trade secret case on the global construction of modular (offsite) construction
- ECI Modularisation in engineering construction
- IOSH Managing nanomaterials in construction
Lead Expert for construction on the £2m+ DIUS Foresight’s Sustainable Energy Management and the Built Environment futures project (www.foresight.gov.uk)
- Member of Chartered Institute of Building (MCIOB)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Fellow of Institute of Concrete Technology (FICT)
- Graduate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Winner of ICE Howard Award Medal for Best Paper in Journal 2017. Optimising construction with SCC, ICE Construction Materials, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/19968, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/coma.14.00025
- Short-listed for The Engineer Collaborate to Innovate award, Academic Innovator category, 2017
- ICE (Institution of Civil Engineering) Merit Awards, ‘Short-listed’ in Research and Studies Category, May 2017, “RCA concrete”
- Teaching Stars Award for CVD014 (2016) Loughborough University
- ACE Engineering Excellence Awards, shortlisted in the Research, Studies and Consulting Advisory, 2014
- ICE (Institution of Civil Engineering) Merit Awards, ‘Highly Commended’ in Research and Studies Category, 2014, “Corrosion Management and Repair of Reinforced Concrete Structures”
- Winner of 2015 CIOB-ARCOM CRI Innovation and Sustainability paper award.
- University of Cambridge Visiting Lecturer, Construction Engineering Masters Programme, Laing O'Rourke Centre for Construction Engineering and Technology, Department of Engineering.
- UCL Visiting Lecturer, construction materials
- Leeds University External Examiner, MSc Advanced Concrete Technology
- Editorial PanelICE (Institution of Civil Engineering) 'Construction Materials' (2011 – 16)
- Editorial Panel‘Case Studies in Construction Materials’ (2014 – present)
- International selection committee for Tenure Lecturer in Project and Construction Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC), Barcelona, Spain (Feb 2019).
- Judge for British Precast Innovation Awards 2019
- BSI Technical Committee B/517/8 - Protection and repair of concrete structures
- BSI Technical Committee B/517/10 Sprayed concrete
- BSI Technical Committee ISO/TC 59/WG 3 modular construction
- IoM3 Cementitious Materials Group Committee (Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining)
- ECI Innovation and Technology Direction Group
- Concrete Society’s Materials Group
- Concrete Society Midlands Committee
- Institute of Concrete Technology (ICT) Events & Marketing Committee
- Institute of Concrete Technology (ICT) Editorial Committee
- Member of CIOB Innovation & Research (I&R) Panel
- Cement & Concrete Science Conference, 39th, Bath, UK, 2019, scientific committee
- International Conference on Smart Infrastructure and Construction (ICSIC), Churchill College, Cambridge: 8 - 10 July 2019, conference chair and scientific committee, 2019
- 6th International Conference on Durability of Concrete Structures (ICDCS 2018), Scientific Committee, Leeds University, 18-20 July 2018
My research and enterprise activities are conducted with a range of academic and stakeholder partners, including:
- Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Leeds etc
- Concrete Society,
- Institute of Concrete Technology
- Concrete Centre
- Highways England
- British Precast
- Thorpe Precast
- Balenced Earth Homes