Research and expertise
I am an expert in offsite, modern methods of construction (MMC), modular construction and concrete technology, including RAAC (Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete). I am an experienced Civil Engineer, Chartered Builder and Researcher with nearly 30 years’ of experience in all aspects of construction, including contracting, consultancy and research, and I have led the NHS-funded RAAC National Research project for two years.
I am a Professor in Construction Engineering and Materials, Director of Loughborough’s Centre for Innovative and Collaborative Construction Engineering, and sit on the Senior Leadership Team for the School.
Authored books include Design in Modular Construction (2014) and the RICS Future of UK Housebuilding (2010), and I am an international expert witness for offsite/modular construction. I was recently invited to give evidence in person to the Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee inquiry into MMC.
I worked previously for 7 years for Laing O’Rourke Civil Engineering and BRE and was the Lead Expert for construction on the UK Government’s Foresight Sustainable Energy Management and the Built Environment Futures project. I have authored more than 200 publications in the field of offsite construction, construction technology, concrete materials, construction management, and the future of the construction sector.
Current research activity
- NHS: RAAC
- HS2: Low Carbon Sprayed Concrete
Recently completed research project
- IStructE: Development of Low Carbon Structural Sprayed Concrete
BSI Construction standards for offsite construction
- Highways England – Offsite non-steel gantries for smart motorways
- Arup, Global Research Challenge, Deep Modularity
- PhD: HS2 Circular Economy
- PhD: Sprayed Self-healing Engineered Cementitious Composites for Repair of Concrete Structures
- PhD: Traceability in the construction supply chain
- PhD: Offsite and BIM in engineering construction
- Network Rail: Alternative Methods For Patch Repairs In Tunnels
- EPSRC: Circular Materials for Transportation Machine Sectors (CIRCMATE-4-TMS)
- UKCRIC PLEXUS: Priming Laboratory Experiments on Infrastructure and Urban Systems (EPSRC)
- DECONT: Digital Enablers for Transforming Construction, Transforming Construction Network Plus
- Challenging Space Frontiers in Hospitals - Accelerating capabilities and advancing business models for modern manufacturing, Transforming Construction Network Plus
- Hopfe, C., Mourkos, K., McLeod, R., Goodier, C., Swainson, M. (2020) The impact of accurately modelling corridor thermodynamics in the overheating risk assessment of multi-residential dwellings, Energy and Buildings, 224. Accepted 8/7/2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2020.110302.
- McLeod, R., Swainson, M., Hopfe, C., Mourkos, K., Goodier, C. (2020) The importance of infiltration pathways in assessing and modelling overheating risks in multi-residential buildings, Building Services Engineering Research and Technology. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0143624420906765. First Published 25/02/20: https://hdl.handle.net/2134/12024768.
- Ahmad, Y., Soetanto, R., Goodier, C.I., (2019) Lean approach in precast concrete component production, accepted 27/1/19, Journal of Built Environment Project and Asset Management. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/37050, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/BEPAM-02-2018-0051.
- Goodier, C.I., Gibb, A., Mancini, M., Turck, C., Gjepali, O., Daniels, E. (2019) Modularisation and offsite in Engineering Construction – an early decision support tool, special issue of ICE Civil Engineering on Offsite and Smart Construction. ISSN 0965-089X | E-ISSN 1751-7672. https://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/jcien.19.00015, DOI: 10.1680/jcien.19.00015.
- Ahmad, Y., Soetanto, R., Goodier, C.I. (2019) Lean approach in precast concrete component production, Journal of Built Environment Project and Asset Management, 9(3). https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/37050, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/BEPAM-02-2018-0051.
- Segura-Castillo, L., Cavalaro, S., Goodier, C., Aguado, A., Austin, S., (2018) Fibre distribution and tensile response anisotropy in sprayed fibre reinforced concrete, Materials and Structure. First online: 01/02/2018. Accepted 21/11/17. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/28480, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-018-1156-5 Online ISSN 1871-6873.
- Dodds, D., Goodier, C.I., Christodoulou, C., Austin, S.A., and Dunne, D. (2017) Durability performance of sustainable structural concrete: Effect of coarse crushed concrete aggregate on microstructure and water ingress, Construction and Building Materials, 145, pp. 183-195. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.03.232, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/24801.
- Dodds, W., Christodoulou, C., Goodier, C., Austin, S., Dunne, D. (2017) Corrosion risk assessment of structural concrete with coarse crushed concrete aggregates, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Construction Materials, ISSN 1747-650X, E-ISSN 1747-6518. Published online: 09/11/2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.17.00056, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/32150.
- Dodds, W., Christodoulou, C., Goodier, C., Austin, S., Dunne, D. (2017) Durability Performance of Sustainable Structural Concrete: Effect of coarse crushed concrete aggregate on rapid chloride migration and accelerated corrosion, Construction and Building Materials, 155, pp. 511–521. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.08.073, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/26920.
- Galobardes, I., Picolo, R., Cavalaro, S.H.P., Figueiredo, A., Goodier, C.I. (2016) Adaptation of the standard EN 196-1 for mortar with accelerator, Construction & Building Materials. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/22890, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.09.147.
- Jones, W., Gibb, A.G., Goodier, C.I., Bust, P., Jin, J., and Song, M. (2016) Managing the unknown: addressing the potential health risks of nanomaterials in the built environment, Construction Management and Economics, 35(3), pp. 122-136. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/22872, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2016.1241413.
- Dodds. W., Christodoulou, C. and Goodier, C.I. (2017) Hybrid Anode Concrete Corrosion Protection - Independent Study, ICE Construction Materials, 170(5). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.16.00024, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/22886.
- Dodds. W., Christodoulou, C., Goodier, C.I., Atkins, C., and Preston, J. (2017) Discussion- Hybrid Anode Concrete Corrosion Protection - Independent Study, Construction Materials, 170(5), pp. 265–270. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.17.00026, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/25052.
- Leicester, P.A., Goodier, C.I. and Rowley, P. (2016) Probabilistic Analysis of Solar PV self-consumption using Bayesian Network Models, IET Renewable Power Generation Journal, 10(4), pp. 448-455. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/19923, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2015.0360.
- Leicester, P.A., Goodier, C.I. and Rowley, P. (2016) Probabilistic Evaluation of Solar Photovoltaic Systems Using Bayesian Networks: a Discounted Cash Flow Assessment, Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pip.2754, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/20173,
- Jones, W., Gibb, A.G., Goodier, C.I., Bust, P., Jin, J., and Song, M. (2016) Nanomaterials in construction - what is being used, and where?, ICE Construction Materials, ISSN 1747-650X | E-ISSN 1747-6518. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.16.00011, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/21419.
- Galobardes, I., Goodier, C.I., Austin, S.A., Cavalaro, S.H. (2015) Maturity Method to Predict the Evolution of the Properties of Sprayed Concrete, Construction and Building Materials, 79, pp. 357-369. DOI: doi:10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.12.038, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/handle/2134/17495.
- Goodier, C.I. and Chmutina, K. (2014) Non-Technical Barriers for Decentralised Energy and Energy Efficient Buildings, International Journal of Energy Sector Management, 8(4), pp. 544-561. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJESM-03-2014-0001, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/25132.
- Rich, D., Glass, J., Gibb, A.G.F., Goodier, C.I. (2015) Optimising construction with self-compacting concrete (accepted for publication), ICE Construction Materials, ISSN 1747-650X | E-ISSN 1747-6518. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/19968, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/coma.14.00025. Winner of ICE Howard Award Medal for Best Paper in Journal 2017.
- Mangabhai, R., Goodier, C.I., Trout, E., Hewlett, P., and Grantham, M. (2016) Concrete – innovations and practical applications, Briefing, Proc. of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Construction Materials, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.15.00055, ISSN 1747-650X | E-ISSN 1747-6518. http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/jcoma.15.00055, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/23461
- Jones, W., Gibb, A.G., Goodier, C.I., Bust, P., Jin, J., and Song, M. (2015) Nanomaterials in construction and demolition – how can we assess the risk if we don’t know where they are?, Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS), IOP Publishing, pp. 12031, invited submission, 617 012031. DOI: doi:10.1088/1742-6596/617/1/012031.
- Sage, D., Sircar, I., Dainty, A., Fussey, P., and Goodier, C. (2015) Understanding and Enhancing Future Infrastructure Resiliency: A Socio-Ecological Approach, Disasters Journal, 39 (3), pp. 407-426. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/disa.12114, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/18995.
- Rydin, Y., Guy, S., Devine-Wright, P., Goodier, C., Chmutina, K. and Wiersma, B. (2015) The Financial Entanglements of Local Energy Projects, Geoforum, 59, pp. 1–11. DOI: doi:10.1016/j.geoforum.2014.11.019. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/16493.
- Vernikos, V.K., Goodier, C.I., Gibb, A.G.F., Robery, P.C., and Broyd, T. W. (2014) Building information modelling and its effect on offsite in civil engineering, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Management, Procurement and Law, BIM Special Issue, 167(MP3), pp. 152–159, ISSN 1751-4312. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/mpal.13.00031, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/15901.
- Christodoulou, C., Webb, J., Sharifi, A. Das, S., Goodier, C. (2013) Cathodic protection on the UK’s Midland Links motorway viaducts, ICE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 167(1), pp. 43–53. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/bren.12.00015, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/12998.
- Chmutina, K. and Goodier, C. (2014) Alternative future energy pathways: Assessment of the potential of innovative decentralised energy systems in the UK, Energy Policy, 66, pp. 62-72, March 2014, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.10.080, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/15900.
- Chmutina, K., Wiersma, B., Goodier, C.I. and Devine-Wright, P. (2014) Concern or Compliance? Drivers of Urban Renewable Energy Initiatives, Sustainable Cities and Society, 10 (2014) 122–129. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2013.07.001, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/12831
- Christodoulou C, Goodier, C., Austin, S., Webb, J., Glass, G. (2014) A new arrangement of galvanic anodes for the repair of reinforced concrete structures, Construction and Building Materials, 50, pp. 300-307. https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/13593, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.09.062
Key books and reports
Lawson, M., Ogden, R. and Goodier, C.I. (2014) Design in Modular Construction, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis group, 280 pages, ISBN-10: 0415554500, ISBN-13: 978-0415-55450-3, http://www.amazon.com/Design-Modular-Construction-Mark-Lawson/dp/0415554500.
- Goodier, C.I. and Pan, W. (2010) The Future of UK Housebuilding, RICS, London, Dec 2010, ISBN 978-1-84219-645-8, 59pp, http://hdl.handle.net/2134/8225.
- Goodier, C.I., Austin, S.A., Robins, P.J. (2001) Construction and Repair with Wet Process Sprayed Concrete and Mortar, Technical Report No.56, The Concrete Society, 46 pages. ISBN 0946691886, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/9753
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the School's programmes, including:
- CVA106 Engineering Materials for Construction
- CVD014 Sustainable Development Project
- CVA057 Tectonics 1 - An Introduction to Materials, Structure & Construction
- CVA102 Professional practice (multi-discipline collaborative design project)
- CVP038 - EngD Short Research Project
- CVP024 Management and Professional Development
School Research Committee and Enterprise/industry Committee
Recently completed projects
- NHS: RAAC
- Thorpe Precast UHPFRC
- HS2: Low Carbon Sprayed Concrete
- Invited to give evidence to Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee, Thatcher room, House of Commons, inquiry into Modern Methods of Construction, 4/3/19.
- Expert witness for $300m+ trade secret case on the global construction of modular (offsite) construction
- ECI Modularisation in engineering construction
- IOSH Managing nanomaterials in construction
Lead Expert for construction on the £2m+ DIUS Foresight’s Sustainable Energy Management and the Built Environment futures project (www.foresight.gov.uk)
- Member of CLC/CIC RAAC Response Group
- Member of IStructE RAAC Group
- Member of Chartered Institute of Building (MCIOB)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Fellow of Institute of Concrete Technology (FICT)
- UKCRIC Management Board (UK Collaboratorium for Research in Infrastructure & Cities)
- UK Constructing Excellence National Members' steering group
- Graduate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- ICE Research Award: Low Carbon Sprayed Concrete
- Teaching Innovation Award (TIA), Loughborough University, “Extended Induction for Engagement and Inclusivity”
- LU Enterprise Partnership Award with AECOM - Highly Commended.
- Winner of ICE Howard Award Medal for Best Paper in Journal. Optimising construction with SCC, ICE Construction Materials, https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/19968, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/coma.14.00025
- Short-listed for The Engineer Collaborate to Innovate award, Academic Innovator category
- ICE (Institution of Civil Engineering) Merit Awards, ‘Short-listed’ in Research and Studies Category, “RCA concrete”
- Teaching Stars Award for CVD014 Loughborough University
- ACE Engineering Excellence Awards, shortlisted in the Research, Studies and Consulting Advisory
- ICE (Institution of Civil Engineering) Merit Awards, ‘Highly Commended’ in Research and Studies Category, “Corrosion Management and Repair of Reinforced Concrete Structures”
- Winner of CIOB-ARCOM CRI Innovation and Sustainability paper award
- University of Cambridge Visiting Lecturer, Construction Engineering Masters Programme, Laing O'Rourke Centre for Construction Engineering and Technology, Department of Engineering.
- Leeds University External Examiner, MSc Advanced Concrete Technology
- Imperial College London, MSc External Examiner
- Editorial Panel ‘Case Studies in Construction Materials’ (2014 – present)
- International selection committee for Tenure Lecturer in Project and Construction Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
- Judge for British Precast Innovation Awards
- IoM3 Cementitious Materials Group (Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining)
- ECI Innovation and Technology Direction Group
My research and enterprise activities are conducted with a range of academic and stakeholder partners, including:
- RAAC: NHS, CPT, Lucidion, Sweco, IA Connects
- Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Leeds etc
- Concrete Society,
- Institute of Concrete Technology
- Concrete Centre
- Highways England
- British Precast