Dr Mohamed Osmani BA(Hons), Dip. Arch., MSc, PhD, FHEA
Sustainable Design and Construction Programme Director
Reader in Sustainable Design and Construction
Mohamed is an architect with a PhD in sustainable building design. Over the last 15 years, he has continued to make significant advances in the field of resource efficiency. He is known for his research and collaborative projects on circular economy, material resource efficiency, anthropogenic resource classification, designing out waste, construction and demolition waste recovery and end of life asset and material optimisation. A concurrent stream of national and international work has developed new material resource efficiency and circularity approaches, strategies and standards.
He is currently leading five international expert groups. He has been invited to act as an Expert Peer Reviewer for 8 major international funding bodies in the UK, Europe, Asia and North America; Referee for several leading international journals (e.g. Cleaner Production; Waste Management); and Scientific Committee Member for 20+ international conferences.
He has authored over 130 publications and developed a significant portfolio of research projects, winning in excess of £4 million of research funding from a range of UK, EU and international sponsors. He currently holds grants from the European Commission, EPSRC and industry; and supervises a range of doctoral and postdoctoral projects covering circular economy; material resource efficiency; traceability; blockchain; designing out waste; end of life material optimisation; and sustainable project performance improvement through innovation.
Mohamed is regularly invited to present keynote papers at both industrial and academia-focussed international events; delivered keynote presentations in over 15 international conferences; and presented work at more than 60 international conferences in over 35 countries across the world.
Broad interests and expertise
Sustainable design and construction. Circular Economy and Resource efficiency. Sustainable project performance improvement through innovation.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Life cycle sustainable design and construction issues associated with:
- Sustainable design and construction innovation, best practice and change management. .
- Applying the circular economy to the built environment.
- Material resource efficiency.
- Waste prevention; designing out waste; and end of life waste upcycling and optimisation.
- Low/zero energy building design, construction and retrofit..
- Impact of building information modelling, virtual prototyping and simulation on sustainable project performance.
Leadership of Expert Groups
- Panel Chair of BS 8895 Part 1 to 4: Code of Practice for Designing for Material Resource Efficiency in Building Projects. BS 8895 Parts 1 and 2 were published in 2013 and 2015 respectively. Part 3 is in progress (expected publication date: November 2019). Part 4 expected start: January 2020.
- Leader of the European Commission COST Action CA15115 Working Group on ‘Resource Potential of Construction and Demolition Waste’.
- Leader of ‘Construction and Demolition Task Group of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG)’.
- Judging Panel Chair of the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) yearly ‘Environment Excellent Awards’ for construction and demolition projects.
- Chairman of the Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Sustainability Advisory Panel. The Panel, which is composed of Sustainability and Environment Managers of the major UK construction companies and public organizations, provides a focus on cross-cutting sustainability issues facing the UK construction industry with a particular emphasis on environmental management, waste minimization and resource use (2008-2013).
Peer Reviewer for International Funding Programmes
- The European Commission Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Funding Programme associated with ‘Climate Action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials’.
- ‘Technology Foundation STW’ Dutch Funding Agency.
- Hong Kong ‘Environment and Conservation Fund’ – ECF.
- ‘Fonds de Recherche du Québec’ (FRQ) Quebec Funding Agency, Canada.
- ‘Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek’ (FWO) Research Foundation Flanders, Belgium.).
- Qatar National Research Fund – QNRF.
- Member of EPSRC Peer Review College.
Member of Expert Groups and Committees
International expert groups
- Member of the ‘United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Expert Group on Anthropogenic Resources’. Its remit is the development of specifications and case studies for the application of the ‘United Nations Framework Classification for Resources (UNFC)’ in order to classify the recovery of secondary resources and the management of anthropogenic resources.
- Expert Member of the ‘European Commission Circular Economy Missions’, which consist of delegations of experts in circular economy, resource efficiency and waste management across EU 28 Member States.
- Member of the International Expert Advisory Panel for ‘BIM-3ACV’ led by University of Sevilla.
- Core Member of the European Commission COST Action CA15115 Management Committee.
- Partner of the ‘Advances in Cleaner Production Network (ACPN)’, which is an international transdisciplinary community for the exchange and dissemination of research results in cleaner production.
- Member of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG) Scientific Advisory Panel.
National expert groups
- Member of the UK Government Green Construction Board Resources & Waste Task Group, which works closely with government to develop a routemap to achieve zero avoidable waste in the construction sector (Infrastructure and buildings). This ambition was highlighted in the recently published government Resources and Waste Strategy for England and will be developed collaboratively between Industry, DEFRA and BEIS (2019-present).
- Panel Member of BS 8001:2017 Framework for Implementing Circular Economy Principles in Organizations (2015-2017).
- Founding Member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design. Four UK universities (Loughborough, Heriot-Watt, Sheffield and UCL) were selected by the Royal Academy of Engineering as Centres of Excellence with the remit to form a national network to demonstrate and exchange best practice in research and L&T for a more sustainable built environment (2013 – present).
- Board Member of the British Standards Institution (BSI) B/209 Executive Committee, which is responsible for planning, programming and the co-ordination of national codes of practice and standards for the design and construction of buildings (2013-present).
- Member of the British Standards Institution (BSI) Technical Committees: SDS/1 (Organizational Change in Sustainable Development) and SDS/3 (Sustainable Consumption and Production). Both Technical Committees are responsible for proposals, programming and coordination of codes of practice and standards in the field of ‘Sustainable Development’ and ‘Material Resource Efficiency’ respectively (2013 – present).
- Expert Member of the ‘Construction Waste Group of the UK Government Green Construction Board’, which was entrusted the responsibility to develop methodologies for assessing and monitoring the UK Strategy for Sustainable Construction landfill diversion targets (2009 - 2014).
- Core Member of Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Programme Management Committee (2008 - present).
- Steering Committee Member of the Carbon Leaders Group (composed of industry sustainability managers) that aims to produce a series of briefings, each focussing on a particular aspect of the carbon agenda. These provide an independent and authoritative overview of a topic area, guiding organisations on the most appropriate course of action (2008 – 2016).
Editorial Board Member for International Journals Associate Editor (Construction & Demolition Management) of Detritus Journal.
- Associate Editor (Waste Management) of Environmental Research and Technology.
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Green Technology.
- Editorial Board Member of Advances in Environmental Waste Management and Recycling.
Scientific Committee Member for International Conferences.
- 5th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, 24-26 June 2018, Gold Coast, Australia.
- 4th Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy, 21-23 May 2018, Bergamo, Italy.
- 4th EurAsia Waste Management Symposium 2018, 2-4 May 2018, Istanbul.
- 4th International Congress on Construction and Building Research, 14-15 December 2017, Tenerife, Spain.
- 5th International Conference on Architecture and Civil Engineering, 8-9 May 2017, Singapore.
- 3rd Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society, 13-14 September 2017, Leeds.
- 4th International conference on Architecture and Civil Engineering, 25-26 April 2016, Singapore.
- 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, 4- 6 April 2016, Greece.
- 3rd EurAsia Waste Management Symposium, 2-4 May 2016, Istanbul.
- 3rd Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy, 23 -25 May 2016, Bergamo, Italy.
- 2nd Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society, 14-15 September 2016, Leeds.
- 2nd International Conference on Virtual and Augmented Reality, 8-9 January 2015, Singapore.
- International Conference on Sustainable Building & Infrastructure Engineering, 9-10 November 2015, Venice, Italy.
- International Conference on Sustainable Systems and Environment, 27-28 October 2014, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2nd Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy, 19- 21 May 2014, Bergamo, Italy.
- 11th International Postgraduate Research Conference, 8-10 April 2013, Salford.
- International Conference on Sustainable Built Environment, 26-27 March 2013, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- 3rd International Conference and Workshop on Advances in Cleaner Production, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 18-20 May 2011.