Research and expertise
My research and collaborative interdisciplinary projects cover life cycle sustainable design and construction issues associated with:
- Sustainable design and construction innovation, best practice and change management.
- Circular economy.
- Material resource efficiency.
- Designing out waste and end of life waste recovery and optimisation.
- Low/zero energy building design, construction and retrofit.
- Impact of building information modelling, virtual prototyping, and blockchain on sustainable project performance.
Recent publications: 2014 - 2019
- Sáez, PV and Osmani, M (2019) A diagnosis of construction and demolition waste generation and recovery practice in the European Union, Journal of Cleaner Production, 241, pp.118400-118400, ISSN: 0959-6526. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.118400.
- Liu, Z, Jiang, L, Osmani, M, Demian, P (2019) A BIM and blockchain framework for sustainable building design information management, Electronics, 8(7), pp.724-738, DOI: 10.3390/electronics8070724.
- Liu, Z, Zhang, C, Guo, Y, Osmani, M, Demian, P (2019) A building information modelling based water efficiency framework, Electronics Special Issue: Advancement in Smart Building Technologies: From Project to Operation and Management of Buildings, 8(6), pp.1-19, ISSN: 2079-9292. DOI: 10.3390/electronics8060599.
- Adams, K, Osmani, M, Thorpe, T, Thornback, J (2017) Circular economy in construction: current awareness, challenges and enablers, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Waste and Resource Management, 170(1), pp.15-24, ISSN: 1747-6526. DOI:10.1680/jwarm.16.00011.
- Osmani, M and Villoria-Saez, P (2019) Current and emerging construction waste management trends and approaches. In Waste: A Handbook for Management, Academic Press, pp.366-379, ISBN: 9780128150603.
- Kral, U, Heuss-Aßbichler, S, Osmani, M (2018) Enabling effective gypsum recovery management by using the UN Framework Classification for Resources. In Proceedings of the The First Global GypSupply Conference on gypsum supply trends and technology, Brussels, Belgium.
- Baiche, B, Osmani, M, Walliman, N, Ogden, R (2017) Earth construction in Algeria between tradition and modernity, Proceeding of the ICE - Construction Materials, xx(xx), pp.16-28, ISSN: 1747-650X. DOI: 10.1680/jcoma.15.00048.
- Osmani, M (2017) Design waste generators in construction projects. In The Canadian Society for Civil Engineering Annual Conference on Leadership in Sustainable Infrastructure (CSCE 2017), Vancouver, Canada.
- Osmani, M (2017) Onsite construction waste management in the UK: current practice, impediments and facilitators. In Proceedings of The International Conference on Pathways to Sustainability: Challenges and Opportunities, 19-21 January 2017, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Adams, K, Osmani, M, Thorpe, T, Hobbs, G (2017) The role of the client to enable circular economy in the building sector. In , Delft, Netherlands, pp.118-121, ISBN: 9789461868268
- Llatas, C and Osmani, M (2016) Development and validation of a building design waste reduction model, Waste Management (In Press), xx(xx), pp.318-336, ISSN: 0956-053X. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2016.05.026.
- Osmani, M (2016) A kaleidoscope assessment of construction waste origins and causes during design stages. In Proceedings of EurAsia Waste Management International Symposium, 2-4 May 2016, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Liu, Z, Osmani, M, Demian, P, Baldwin, AN (2015) A BIM-aided construction waste minimisation framework, Automation in Construction, 59, pp.1-23, ISSN: 0926-5805. DOI: 10.1016/j.autcon.2015.07.020.
- Domingo, N, Osmani, M, Price, A (2015) Mapping relationships between complexities and construction waste causes in the UK healthcare projects. In Proceedings of RICS COBRA International Conference, 08-10 July 2015, Sydney.
- Osmani, M (2015) Waste management legislation implementation at construction project level: a case study from the United Kingdom. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Architecture and Civil Engineering (ACE 2015), 12-14 April 2015, Singapore, pp.529-537.
- Osmani, M (2014) An investigation into sustainable construction stimulators and blockers. In Magnini, P (ed) Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Sustainable Development, Rome, Italy, pp.57-64.
- Osmani, M (2014) The impact of off-site construction on on-site waste reduction. In Proceedings of the Seventh Global Studies Conference, Shanghai, China, pp.84-91.
- Cole, C, Osmani, M, Wheatley, A, Quddus, M (2014) Bulky household waste management in a UK Local Authority area: current practice, challenges and improvement. Opportunities. In Proceedings of ICEWM 2014: International Conference on Environment and Waste Management, Copenhagen, Denmark, pp.532-537.
- Osmani, M (2014) Compressive strength of recycled concrete made from plasterboard and glass reinforced plastic waste. Paper no. 07.2. In Proceedings of the 2014 International Sustainable Built Environment Conference (ISBE 2014), Doha, Qatar, Paper no. 07.2.
- Osmani, M (2014) An investigation into sustainable construction stimulators and blockers,European Journal of Sustainable Development, 3(4), pp.189-198, ISSN: 2239-5938. DOI:10.14207/ejsd.2014.v3n4p189.
- Holmes, SJ and Osmani, M (2014) Planning for Waste Management. In Baldwin, A and Bardoli, D (ed) Handbook for Project Planning and Scheduling in Construction,, John Wiley & Sons, pp.216-227, ISBN: 978-0-470-67032-3. DOI: 10.1002/9781118838167.ch11.
- Cole, C, Osmani, M, Quddus, M, Wheatley, A, Kay, K (2014) Towards a Zero Waste Strategy for an English Local Authority, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 89, pp.64-75, ISSN: 0921-3449. DOI: 10.1016/j.resconrec.2014.05.005.
- Cole, C, Quddus, M, Wheatley, A, Osmani, M, Kay, K (2014) The impact of Local Authorities' interventions on household waste collection: A case study approach using time series modelling, Waste Management, 34(2), pp.266-272, ISSN: 0956-053X. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2013.10.018.
- Cole, C, Osmani, M, Wheatley, AD, Quddus, MA (2014) Moving towards zero waste in a UK local authority area: challenges to the introduction of separate food waste collections.,International Journal of Environmental, Ecological, Geological and Mining Engineering, 8(6), pp.371-379.
- Ashley, KS, Osmani, M, Emmitt, S, Mallinson, M, Mallinson, H (2014) Assessing stakeholders’ perspectives towards the conservation of the built heritage of Suakin, Sudan, International Journal of Heritage Studies, 21(7), pp.674-697, ISSN: 1352-7258. DOI:10.1080/13527258.2014.985696.
- Ashley, KS, Osmani, M, Emmitt, S, Mallinson, M, Mallinson, H (2014) Impact of cultural dynamics on conservation of Suakin, Sudan, PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF CIVIL ENGINEERS-ENGINEERING SUSTAINABILITY, 167(6), pp.264-278, ISSN: 1478-4629. DOI:10.1680/esu.14.00018.
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the School’s programmes, including:
- Sustainable Building Design
- 3D CAD Modelling
- Design Management
- Sustainable Design and Construction Theories, Principles and Assessment Tools
- Integrated Sustainable Design and Construction Project
- Sustainability in the Built Environment
Leadership of expert groups
- Panel Chair of BS 8895 Part 1 to 4: Code of Practice for Designing for Material Resource Efficiency in Building Projects. BS 8895 Parts 1 and 2 were published in 2013 and 2015 respectively. Part 3 is in progress (expected publication date: November 2019). Part 4 expected start: January 2020.
- Leader of the European Commission COST Action CA15115 Working Group on ‘Resource Potential of Construction and Demolition Waste’.
- Leader of ‘Construction and Demolition Task Group of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG)’.
- Judging Panel Chair of the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) yearly ‘Environment Excellent Awards’ for construction and demolition projects.
- Chairman of the Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Sustainability Advisory Panel. The Panel, which is composed of Sustainability and Environment Managers of the major UK construction companies and public organizations, provides a focus on cross-cutting sustainability issues facing the UK construction industry with a particular emphasis on environmental management, waste minimization and resource use (2008-2013).
Peer reviewer for International Funding Programmes
- The European Commission Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Funding Programme associated with ‘Climate Action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials’.
- ‘Technology Foundation STW’ Dutch Funding Agency.
- Hong Kong ‘Environment and Conservation Fund’ – ECF.
- ‘Fonds de Recherche du Québec’ (FRQ) Quebec Funding Agency, Canada.
- ‘Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek’ (FWO) Research Foundation Flanders, Belgium.).
- Qatar National Research Fund – QNRF.
- Member of EPSRC Peer Review College.
Member of Expert Groups and Committees
International expert groups
- Member of the ‘United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Expert Group on Anthropogenic Resources’. Its remit is the development of specifications and case studies for the application of the ‘United Nations Framework Classification for Resources (UNFC)’ in order to classify the recovery of secondary resources and the management of anthropogenic resources.
- Expert Member of the ‘European Commission Circular Economy Missions’, which consist of delegations of experts in circular economy, resource efficiency and waste management across EU 28 Member States.
- Member of the International Expert Advisory Panel for ‘BIM-3ACV’ led by University of Sevilla.
- Core Member of the European Commission COST Action CA15115 Management Committee.
- Partner of the ‘Advances in Cleaner Production Network (ACPN)’, which is an international transdisciplinary community for the exchange and dissemination of research results in cleaner production.
- Member of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG) Scientific Advisory Panel.
National expert groups
- Member of the UK Government Green Construction Board Resources & Waste Task Group, which works closely with government to develop a routemap to achieve zero avoidable waste in the construction sector (Infrastructure and buildings). This ambition was highlighted in the recently published government Resources and Waste Strategy for England and will be developed collaboratively between Industry, DEFRA and BEIS (2019-present).
- Panel Member of BS 8001:2017 Framework for Implementing Circular Economy Principles in Organizations (2015-2017).
- Founding Member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design. Four UK universities (Loughborough, Heriot-Watt, Sheffield and UCL) were selected by the Royal Academy of Engineering as Centres of Excellence with the remit to form a national network to demonstrate and exchange best practice in research and L&T for a more sustainable built environment (2013 – present).
- Board Member of the British Standards Institution (BSI) B/209 Executive Committee, which is responsible for planning, programming and the co-ordination of national codes of practice and standards for the design and construction of buildings (2013-present).
- Member of the British Standards Institution (BSI) Technical Committees: SDS/1 (Organizational Change in Sustainable Development) and SDS/3 (Sustainable Consumption and Production). Both Technical Committees are responsible for proposals, programming and coordination of codes of practice and standards in the field of ‘Sustainable Development’ and ‘Material Resource Efficiency’ respectively (2013 – present).
- Expert Member of the ‘Construction Waste Group of the UK Government Green Construction Board’, which was entrusted the responsibility to develop methodologies for assessing and monitoring the UK Strategy for Sustainable Construction landfill diversion targets (2009 - 2014).
- Core Member of Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Programme Management Committee (2008 - present).
- Steering Committee Member of the Carbon Leaders Group (composed of industry sustainability managers) that aims to produce a series of briefings, each focussing on a particular aspect of the carbon agenda. These provide an independent and authoritative overview of a topic area, guiding organisations on the most appropriate course of action (2008 – 2016).
Editorial Board Member for International Journals Associate Editor (Construction & Demolition Management) of Detritus Journal.
- Associate Editor (Waste Management) of Environmental Research and Technology.
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Green Technology.
- Editorial Board Member of Advances in Environmental Waste Management and Recycling.
Scientific Committee Member for International Conferences.
- 5th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, 24-26 June 2018, Gold Coast, Australia.
- 4th Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy, 21-23 May 2018, Bergamo, Italy.
- 4th EurAsia Waste Management Symposium 2018, 2-4 May 2018, Istanbul.
- 4th International Congress on Construction and Building Research, 14-15 December 2017, Tenerife, Spain.
- 5th International Conference on Architecture and Civil Engineering, 8-9 May 2017, Singapore.
- 3rd Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society, 13-14 September 2017, Leeds.
- 4th International conference on Architecture and Civil Engineering, 25-26 April 2016, Singapore.
- 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, 4- 6 April 2016, Greece.
- 3rd EurAsia Waste Management Symposium, 2-4 May 2016, Istanbul.
- 3rd Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy, 23 -25 May 2016, Bergamo, Italy.
- 2nd Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society, 14-15 September 2016, Leeds.
- 2nd International Conference on Virtual and Augmented Reality, 8-9 January 2015, Singapore.
- International Conference on Sustainable Building & Infrastructure Engineering, 9-10 November 2015, Venice, Italy.
- International Conference on Sustainable Systems and Environment, 27-28 October 2014, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2nd Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy, 19- 21 May 2014, Bergamo, Italy.
- 11th International Postgraduate Research Conference, 8-10 April 2013, Salford.
- International Conference on Sustainable Built Environment, 26-27 March 2013, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- 3rd International Conference and Workshop on Advances in Cleaner Production, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 18-20 May 2011.
I am an architect with a PhD in sustainable building design. Over the last 20 years, I have continued to make significant advances in the field of resource efficiency. I am known for my research and collaborative interdisciplary projects on circular economy, material resource efficiency, anthropogenic resource classification, designing out waste, construction and demolition waste recovery and end of life asset and material optimisation. A concurrent stream of national and international work has developed new material resource efficiency and circularity approaches, strategies and standards.
I am currently leading five international expert groups. I have been invited to act as an Expert Peer Reviewer for 8 major international funding bodies in the UK, Europe, Asia and North America; Referee for several leading international journals (e.g. Cleaner Production; Waste Management); and Scientific Committee Member for 20+ international conferences.
I have authored over 135 publications and developed a significant portfolio of research projects, winning in excess of £4.94 million of research funding from a range of UK, EU and international sponsors sponsors (over £25 million cumulative projects’ value). I currently hold grants from the European Commission, EPSRC and industry; and supervise a range of doctoral and postdoctoral projects covering circular economy; material resource efficiency; traceability; blockchain; designing out waste; end of life material optimisation; and sustainable project performance improvement through innovation.
I am regularly invited to present keynote papers at both industrial and academia-focussed international events; delivered keynote presentations in over 15 international conferences; and presented work at more than 60 international conferences in over 35 countries across the world.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.