Research and expertise
My area of expertise in renewable energy and waste-to-energy conversion is the production of biogas from organic waste, with a focus on the potential of anaerobic digestion. I have a thorough understanding of the difficulties associated with processing organic fractions of municipal solid waste and high lignocellusic content of agricultural residues, as well as the importance of pre-treatment techniques for enhancing biogas production.
The knowledge of pre-treatment techniques, such as thermal, chemical, and biological methods, has equipped me with the ability to evaluate their efficacy in enhancing biogas production. I could apply my knowledge of the benefits and drawbacks of each technique to determine the most efficient pre-treatment method for a specific application. My expertise also includes the analysis of the composition and properties of organic waste, as well as its classification. My competence in renewable energy, pre-treatment of organic waste, waste characterization, biogas production, and monitoring enables me to contribute to research on the production of renewable energy from waste. My specialized skills in these fields distinctively entitles me to evaluate the potential of plasma-assisted pre-treatment technology for enhancing biogas production from the organic fraction of municipal solid waste and agricultural residues.
Current research activity
My current research focusses on enhancing the biogas production through the implementation of a cost-effective and feasible plasma-assisted pre-treatment technology for the most widely cultivated agricultural residues and organic fraction of municipal solid wastes.
The main objectives of this research is to evaluate the effectiveness of plasma-assisted pre-treatment technology in enhancing biogas production from the organic fraction of municipal solid wastes and agricultural residues. In addition, to assess the sustainability of plasma-assisted pre-treatment technology, for enhancing biogas production and to compare the environmental and social impacts with other widely used pre-treatment technologies using life cycle assessment (LCA). Furthermore it is aimed to conduct a techno-economic analysis of plasma-assisted pre-treatment technology for biogas production, including the evaluation of investments, operating costs, and return of investment (ROI), in order to determine the economic feasibility of implementing this technology on a large scale for processing the organic fraction of municipal solid wastes and agricultural residues.
As a highly motivated and smartworking individual with a positive work ethic, I am passionate about making a difference in the fields of waste management, renewable energy, and sustainability. I strive to continuously improve myself and my skills, and I live by the success mantra of I+I=I (Interest + Involvement = Improvement).
With a Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering from Anna University, India, and a Master of Science in Civil and Geoenvironmental Engineering from Cardiff University, United Kingdom, I have a solid understanding of the technical aspects of my areas of interest. My experience in various real-time projects, such as; Leachate Movement Control and its Treatment; Smoke Free Low-Cost Sanitary Incinerator; Real Time Online Sensing of Illicit Discharge of Wastewater into Lakes; Exploring the Potential for Shape-Memory Polymers in Geotechnical and Geo-environmental Engineering; Planning, Analysis & Designing of a Hostel Building with Sewage Treatment Plant and Biodiversity Net Gain – Analysis of Policy Implications and Opportunities for for SUEZ’s Northwick Closed Landfill Site, has given me the practical knowledge and skills to create innovative and effective solutions.
I have also attended numerous conferences, seminars, and competitions, including the World Congress on Pharmacology, Smart India Hackathon, and the International Conference on Innovation in Electrical, Electronics, and Intelligent Systems. These experiences have helped me develop an extensive understanding of the industry, and I am eager to put my knowledge and skills to useful need.
I have a strong desire to make a significant contribution to the fields of waste management and renewable energy. I am committed to knowledge acquisition, innovation, and development, and I am looking forward to contributing to a more sustainable future.
- Student Member, Indian Society of Civil Engineers, India.
- Student Member, Institution of Civil Engineers, United Kingdom.
- Best outgoing student of the college, among all Undergraduate Programmes in B.E. 2016-2020 Batch, by considering my Outstanding Academic Performance and Active Participation in Co - curricular and Extra-curricular activities during the course of study, SKCT, India.
- Vankatram Memorial Award 2020, with cash reward during the 35th College Day Celebration, SKCT.
- Best student 2019, (National Level Award), Dr. Kalam Educational Trust, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- VIT University Chancellor Viswanathan Award 2020, among all Undergraduate Programmes in B.E. of 2016-2020 Batch, SKCT, India.
- Academic Excellence award for securing 3rd rank in the years (2016-2017 & 2017-2018), SKCT.
- Scholarship amount of Rs. 80,000 from Principal, SKCT, towards tuition fee, for Extraordinary performance in the Academics.
- Overall: Outstanding performer in Environmental projects, SKCT.
- Cash award from SKCT for adopting a village, conducting an awareness programme, and implementing numerous sustainable practises in the municipal building as part of the Government of India's Swachh Bharath Summer Internship Program.
- Cardiff University India Scholarship, Cardiff University, UK.
- Silver Grade award for the best performer as a Student Representative, School of Engineering, Cardiff University, UK.
- Enhanced Design of Concrete Cube Mould with Trouble Free Twist and Lock Pattern (Application no: 201841008989, Dated: 12/03/2018) Status: Published.
- Smoke Free Low Cost Sanitary Incinerator [Design Patten] (Application no: 305963, Dated: 03/07/2018) Status: Under examination.
- Real Time Online Sensing of Illicit Discharge of Wastewater into Lakes is published in "International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology" (Scopus Indexed) doi: 10.35940/ijeat.F1288.0986S319.
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) Construction, Chennai, India
Learnt research methods and the brief methodology to make and read the project tender on successful completed volunteer internship training at Engineering Design Research Centre, Water & Effluent Treatment IC.
- Government Civil Project, The Nilgiris, India
Worked as an intern in the Government Project - Bridge Construction; Gained the knowledge on construction operation, process and management overview with the maintenance process of the contract company.
- Armour Steel Buildings India limited, Coimbatore, India
Experienced in both manufacturing and Installation process of the PEB (Pre-Engineered Steel Buildings).
- Messiah Construction, Coimbatore, India
Involved in planning process, execution of plan in site, speaking to the customers and also estimating the cost for the Residential building.
Value added courses:
- Online Certification course (Strength of Materials) in NPTEL from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur – Completed.
- Online Certification course (Landscape Architecture and Site Planning: Basic Fundamentals) in NPTEL from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur – Completed.
- Diploma in Interior designing (EduCADD).
- Doctoral Researcher’s Representative (PT’s), School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering, Loughborough University.
- International Student Ambassador, Loughborough University.
- Student Ambassador, Cardiff University.
- Student Representative, School of Engineering, Cardiff University.
- Education Executive Committee Member, School of Engineering, Cardiff University.
- Overall Committee Coordinator in Nation Level Technical Symposium “AVANTAA – 2020” held in Sri Krishna College of Technology, India.
- Student Coordinator of Innovation Institute Cell, SKCT, India.
- Advisory Committee Chair of Library, SKCT, India.
- NPTEL Student coordinator, SKCT, India.
My research and enterprise activities are conducted with a range of academic staff:
- Dr. Tanja Radu, Senior Lecturer in Water Engineering, School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering, Loughborough University.
- Dr. Hemaka Bandulasena, Reader in Chemical Engineering School of Aeronautical, Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering, Loughborough University.
- Dr. Felipe Iza, Deputy Associate Dean, Research Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University.