Research and expertise
- The role and future of LCA in the aviation sector (operations, planning and manufacturing)
- Development of sustainability life cycle assessment
- Stakeholder and local community engagement at airports: role of airport consultative committees, stakeholder identities and community engagement boards
- Airport led urban development and the role of airports in development - e.g. airport cities and aerotropolis
- Graham, A, Budd, L, Ison, S, Timmis, A (2019) Airports and ageing passengers: A study of the UK, Research in Transportation Business & Management, pp.100380-100380, ISSN: 2210-5395. DOI: 10.1016/j.rtbm.2019.100380.
- Rouncivell, A, Timmis, A, Ison, S (2018) Willingness to pay for preferred seat selection on UK domestic flights, Journal of Air Transport Management, 70, pp.57-61, ISSN: 0969-6997. DOI: 10.1016/j.jairtraman.2018.04.018.
- Timmis A, Hodzic A, Koh L, Bonner M, Soutis C, Schäfer AW, Dray L. (2015) Environmental impact assessment of aviation emission reduction through the implementation of composite materials. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 20(2), pp. 233-243.
- McDonald S, Oates C, Thyne M, Timmis A, Carlile C (2015) Flying in the face of environmental concern: why green consumers continue to fly. Journal of Marketing Management 31(13-14):1503-1528
- Timmis A, Hodzic A, Koh L, Bonner M, Soutis C, Schäfer AW, Dray L. (2014) Lifecycle Asessment of CFRP Aircraft Fuselage. Conference Paper · June 2014 Conference: ECCM16 - 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, Seville, Spain, 22-26 June 2014
- I serve as a reviewer for Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, and Research in Transportation Business & Management.
- I am an active member of STEMNET and champion wider participation in STEM subjects. Additionally, I have been involved with the running of the Engineering Development Trust Headstart Summer Schools.
2016 - present Lecturer in Air Transport, School of Civil and Building Engineering, Loughborough University, UK.
2014 - 2016 SIMULIFE Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Sheffield, UK.
2010 - 2015 PhD 'A stakeholder approach to sustainable development in UK aviation', Sheffield University Management School, University of Sheffield, UK.
My PhD thesis was undertaken as part of the E-Futures Doctoral Training Centre (EPSRC funded) at The University of Sheffield; an innovative four year programme with an interdisciplinary focus on transitions to a low-carbon economy.
2006 - 2010 MEng Civil Engineering (First Class Honours), Department of Civil Engineering, University of Sheffield, UK
Broad interests and expertise
- Sustainable development
- Life cycle assessment
- Stakeholder engagement
- Aviation development