Research and expertise
I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Water & Environmental Engineering. My main research interests are in waste to energy processes; waste management & resource recovery; renewable energy; water quality; wastewater engineering; and WASH. I also have interest in innovation research, development and technology transfer particularly in low- and middle-income countries. I welcome enquires from prospective PhD students.
Current research activity
- Principal Investigator, Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng) Engineering for Development Research Fellowship - Advanced Technological Synergy for Renewable Energy Production in sub-Saharan Africa: 2019 – 2024.
Recently completed research projects
- Blue Fuel - Waste to Energy, Nepal
- BMGF - Reinvent the Toilet Phase 3 - Field testing in Asia and Africa
- BMGF - Reinvent the Toilet Phase 2 - Prototype design and pilot scale testing
- Environmental Agency, UK - Radionuclides behaviour during sewage treatment
- Afolabi, O.O.D., Sohail, M. and Thomas, C.L.P., (2015) Microwave hydrothermal carbonisation of human biowaste. Waste and Biomass Valorization, 6(2), pp. 147 – 157.
- Afolabi, O.O.D., and Sohail, M. (2017) Microwaving human faecal sludge as a viable sanitation technology option for treatment and value Recovery. Journal of Environmental Management, 187, pp. 401- 415.
- Afolabi, O.O.D., and Sohail, M. (2017) Comparative assessment of conventional and microwave hydrothermal carbonisation of human biowaste. Water Science & Technology, 75(5), pp. 2852 – 2863.
- Afolabi, O.O.D., Sohail, M. and Thomas, C.L.P. (2017) Characterization of solid fuel chars recovered from microwave hydrothermal carbonisation of human biowaste, Energy, 134, pp. 74-89.
- Sohail, M., Cavill, S. and Afolabi, O.O.D. (2017) Transformative technologies for safely managed sanitation. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Municipal Engineer, 171(2), pp. 78-85.
- Afolabi, O.O.D., Sohail, M., Cheng, Y-L. (2020) Optimisation and characterisation of hydrochar production from spent coffee grounds by hydrothermal carbonisation. Renewable Energy, 147 (1), pp. 1380 – 1391.
I contribute to the Water Engineering Development Centre (WEDC) postgraduate (campus-based and DL) teaching and learning activities including:
- Appropriate Sewerage and Sewage Treatment
- Urban Sanitation Management
- Household and Communal Sanitation Engineering
- Environmental Assessment (Module Leader)
- Urban Infrastructure
- Research Dissertation
- ‘Water, hygiene and sanitation for health’: Biannual 2-week training course for Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) (i.e. Doctors without Borders)
I obtained a First-Class (Hons.) B.Eng. in Agricultural (now Agricultural and Environmental) Engineering from the FUTA, Nigeria in 2008. I subsequently completed my MSc with Distinction (2011) and PhD (2015), both at Loughborough University, UK. Since joining Loughborough University in 2010, I have worked on several research and development projects including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) Re-invent (Phase 2 and 3) Toilet Challenge project.
I lead/contribute to taught modules for both campus-based and distance learning postgraduate students. I also supervise PhD students and MSc research dissertation projects andcurrently serve on the School’s Wellbeing Committee. I am currently leading a Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng) Engineering for Development Research Fellowship, awarded in 2019 on “Advanced Technological Synergy to Renewable Energy Production in sub-Saharan Africa”.
- Chartered Member, Chartered Institute of Waste and Environmental Management (CIWEM)
- PRINCE2 Practitioner Certificate in Project Management
- MSP Practitioner Certificate in Programme Management
- Research Fellowship Award, 2019
- PTDF, International Doctoral Scholarship, 2014
- Young Researchers’ Award, RSC Travel Grant, 2012
- Best Presentation (Oral & Poster), COGER International Conference, UK, 2012
- Doctoral Research Studentship, Loughborough University, UK, 2011
- DFID/Commonwealth Shared Scholarship UK, 2010
- Four University Prize Awards, 2008 including:
- Best Graduating Student, Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Best Graduating Student, School of Engineering & Engineering Technology
- Expert Paper Reviewer for several international journals including Environmental Management, Applied Energy, Utility Policy, Energy
- International universities: UCAD (Senegal), ABU (Nigeria), Toronto (Canada), CQU (China)
- Consultants: Alvan Blanch, LEAP Micro AD (UK); Berkeley Air (USA), SENEngineering (Senegal)
- Government agencies: Environment Agency (UK), PNB-SN (Senegal)