Research and expertise
My research is focused on the development of innovative methods for exploiting satellite observations to support water engineering research in data-sparse regions and integrating remote-sensing technologies and high-performance modelling tools to support regional flood impact/risk assessment to inform flood risk management.
Recently completed research projects
Agricultural flood damage assessment and risk analysis, Open Fund Programme of Ministry of Education Laboratory for Earth Surface Processes, PI, 01/2017-12/2018.
- Chen, H., Liang, Q., Liang, Z., Liu, Y, and Ren, T.(2020) 'Extraction of connected river networks from multi-temporal remote sensing imagery using a path tracking technique', Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 246, pp. 111868. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2020.111868.
- Chen, H., Liang, Q., Liang, Z., Liu, Y. and Xie, S. (2019) 'Remote-sensing disturbance detection index to identify spatio-temporal varying flood impact on crop production', Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Vol. 269-270, pp. 180-191. DOI: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2019.02.002.
- Liang, Z., Liu, Y., Chen, H. and Ji, Y. (2019) 'Is ecoregional scale precise enough for lake nutrient criteria? Insights from a novel relationship-based clustering approach', Ecological Indicators, Vol. 97, pp. 341-349. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.10.034.
- Liang, Z., Qian, S., Wu, S., Chen ,H., Liu, Y., Yu, Y. and Yi, X. (2019) 'Using Bayesian change point model to enhance understanding of the shifting nutrients-phytoplankton relationship', Ecological Modelling, Vol. 393, pp. 120-126. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2018.12.008.
- Chen, H., Liang, Q., Liu, Y, and Xie, S. (2018) 'Hydraulic correction method (HCM) to enhance the efficiency of SRTM DEM in flood modeling', Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 559, pp. 56-70. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.01.056.
- Chen, H., Liang, Z., Liu, Y,. Jiang, Q. and Xie, S. (2018) 'Effects of drought and flood on crop production in China across 1949–2015: spatial heterogeneity analysis with Bayesian hierarchical modeling', Natural Hazards, Vol. 92, pp. 525-541. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-018-3216-0.
- Liang, Z., Chen, H., Wu, S., Zhang, X., Yu, Y. and Liu, Y. (2018) 'Exploring Dynamics of the Chlorophyll a-Total Phosphorus Relationship at the Lake-Specific Scale: a Bayesian Hierarchical Model', Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, Vol. 229, pp. 21. DOI: 10.1007/s11270-017-3678-9.
- Liang, Z., Wu, S., Chen, H., Yu, Y. and Liu, Y. (2018) 'A probabilistic method to enhance understanding of nutrient limitation dynamics of phytoplankton', Ecological Modelling, Vol. 368, pp. 404-410. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2017.11.004.
- Chen, H., Liang, Z., Liu, Y., Liang, Q. and Xie, S. (2017) 'Integrated remote sensing imagery and two-dimensional hydraulic modeling approach for impact evaluation of flood on crop yields', Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 553, pp. 262-275. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2017.08.001.
- Li,B., Chen, H., Li, N., Wu, Z., Wen, Z., Xie, S. and Liu, Y. (2017) 'Spatio-temporal shifts in the archaeal community of a constructed wetland treating river water', Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 605, pp. 269-275. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.06.221.
- Yang, X., Chen, H., Wang, Y., Xu, C. (2016) 'Evaluation of the effect of land use/cover change on flood characteristics using an integrated approach coupling land and flood analysis', Hydrology Research, Vol. 47, pp. 1161-1171. DOI: 10.2166/nh.2016.108.
- Zeng, X., Huang, G., Chen, H., Li, Y., Kong, X. and Fan, Y. (2016) 'A simulation-based water-environment management model for regional sustainability in compound wetland ecosystem under multiple uncertainties', Ecological Modelling, Vol. 334, pp. 60-77. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2016.04.021
- Zeng, X., Yang, X., Yu, L. and Chen, H. (2015) 'A mix inexact-quadratic fuzzy water resources management model of floodplain (IQT-WMMF) for regional sustainable development of Dahuangbaowa, China', Water, Vol. 7, pp. 2771-2795. DOI: 10.3390/w7062771.
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the School's programmes, including:
- CVC016 – Sustainable flood management
- CVB004 – Surveying 2
I am currently a Lecturer in Water Engineering in the School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering at Loughborough University.
My career at Loughborough commenced in January 2019, when I joined the School as a Research Associate. Previously, I was a Research Associate at Peking University. I received my BEng and MSc from Wuhan University, China, in 2010 and 2012, and my PhD from Peking University in 2016.
- 2019 - Invited talk, Hebei University of Engineering, China
- 2019 - Invited seminar, Exeter University, UK
- 2019 - Invited seminar, Zhengzhou University, China
- 2018 - Invited seminar, Nanjing University, China
- Invited Reviewer for a number of international journals, e.g. Journal of Hydrology and Remote Sensing of Environment
My research and enterprise activities are conducted with a range of academic and stakeholder partners, including:
- Peking University
- Wuhan University