Research and expertise
My research centres around cementitious composites and building materials – fresh properties and rheology, early-age cracking, sustainable supplements for low carbon content, mechanical and durability performance.
My current research interest is geared towards cementitious materials for 3D concrete printing as a Post Doctorate Research Associate at Loughborough University. I recently completed my PhD in early 2020, focused on the roles of rheology in plastic cracking of early-age concrete at Stellenbosch University, South Africa. Before joining Loughborough University, I was a Post Doctorate Fellow at Stellebosch University undertaking research centered around sustainable supplements to cementitious materials, rheo-related properties of concrete and plastic settlement/shrinkage cracking of concrete.
Current research activity
- UK EPSRC DfM:3DCP – Design-for-manufacture of 3D concrete printed structural composites
- UK EPSRC 3DCP:HCP – Manufacturing integrated building components using digital hybrid concrete printing technology
Recently completed research projects
- NRF-TWAS African Reinaissance Doctoral Research SFH160522165795 (2017 – 2019)
- Stellenbosch University Consolidoc Fellowship Program (2020)
- Kolawole, J.T., Combrinck, R. and Boshoff, W.P. (2020) Shear rheo-viscoelasticity approach to the plastic cracking of early age concrete. Cement and concrete Research. 135, 106127.
- Kolawole J.T., Babafemi, A.J. , Paul, S.C., and du Plessis, A. (2020) Performance of concrete containing Nigerian electric arc furnace steel slag aggregate towards sustainable production. Sustainable Materials and Technolology, 25, e00174.
- Kolawole, J.T., Combrinck, R. and Boshoff, W.P. (2020) Rheo-viscoelastic behaviour of fresh cement-based materials: cement paste, mortar and concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 248, 118667.
- Kolawole, J.T., Olalusi, O.B. and Orimogunje, A.J. (2020) Adhesive bond potential of compressed stabilised earth brick. Structures. 23: 812-820.
- Kolawole, J.T., Combrinck, R. and Boshoff, W.P. (2019) Measuring the thixotropy of conventional concrete: The influence of viscosity modifying agent, superplasticiser and water. Construction and Building Materials. 225: 853–867.
- Babafemi, A.J., Kolawole, J.T. and Olalusi, O.B. (2019) Mechanical and durability properties of coir fibre reinforced concrete. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 14(3), 1482–1496.
- Olalusi, O.B., and Kolawole, J.T. (2018) Probabilistic Safety Analysis of Prestressed Concrete Beams Failing Due to Web-Crushing. Structures. 15: 370 – 377.
- Adesanya, D.A., Kolawole, J.T., and Olugboye, O. (2017) Local building materials as a recipe for affordable housing. In First ed. B.T. Aluko, O.O. Amole, H.A. Odeyinka, & O.A. Olojede (eds.). University Press Plc: Ibadan Meeting Nigeria’s Housing Needs. 223–251.
Refereed conference proceedings
- Khan, M.Y., Kolawole, J.T., Boshoff, W.P., and Combrinck, R. (2017) Influence of relaxation and cyclic loading on the tensile material properties of plastic concrete. Proceedings of 2nd International RILEM/COST Conference on Early Age Cracking and Serviceability in Cement-based Materials and Structures (EAC2), 12-14 September, Brussels, Belgium.
I graduated with a First Class Honours BSc in Building in 2010 and an MSc in Building Structures in 2015 at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria. My academic and research career started as an academic at Obafemi Awolowo University in 2014 before proceeding to my PhD at Stellenbosch University, South Africa in 2017. I was a Post Doctorate Fellow at the Unit for Construction, Department of Civil Engineering, Stellenbosch University, for a limited time. Currently, I am working as a Post Doctoral Research Associate at Loughborough University.
- International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures (RILEM)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Council of Registered Builders of Nigeria (CORBON)
- Nigerian Institute of Building (NIOB)
- RILEM PhD Grant for the 74th RILEM Week and 40th Cement & Concrete Science Conference, 2020
- RILEM Gold Medal and Award for exceptional technical content of PhD Poster, 2019
- Stellenbosch University Consolidoc Fellowship, 2020
- The World Academy of Science (TWAS) and NRF PhD funding, 2017
- Unit for Construction Materials PhD funding, under Pretoria Portland Cement fellowship, 2017
- VolkswagenStiftung Foundation and BAM travel grant for KEYS symposium, 2015
- NYSC Certificate of National Service, Nigeria, 2012
- Faculty award of excellence for first class honours graduates, 2012
- Chief Layi Balogun Prize for best graduating student in BSc Building, 2011
- Fatai Osikoya Prize for the Best Final Year Building Student in the Faculty, 2011