Dr Martin Lindley
Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology
Dr Lindley works at the interface of exercise metabolism, chemical biology and clinical medicine. His research has explored the mechanism of action of Omega-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (fish oil), with a focus on inflammation and oxidative stress, cellular incorporation, genetic regulation, epigenetic change, protein expression and biomarker identification.
Dr Lindley is the academic lead for the Translational Chemical Biology research group, is a Chartered Biologist with the Royal Society for Biology, and is the Director of Biosciences in the School of Sport Exercise and Health Sciences.
Dr Lindley’s current transdisciplinary work is engaging: analytical chemistry to analyse the metabolic processes involved in skeletal muscle contraction via volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in exhaled breath, and to work towards the synthesis of pro-resolution mediators; clinical medicine to investigate Omega-3 and respiratory health/COPD; and education to investigate the impact of nutritional status, systemic inflammation and oxidative stress on learning.
- Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise
- Journal of Sports Science
- Annals of Human Biology
- Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
- The Journal of Swimming Research
Learned Societies and Professional Affiliations
- British Association of Sports and Exercise Science
- British Association of Sports Medicine
- British Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Thoracic Society
- International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids
- Adjunct Professor - Federal University of Acre - Brazil
- Adjunct Assistant Professor - Indiana University - USA
Invited Lecture / Keynotes
- Association for Respiratory Technology and Physiology - Annual conference guest speaker February 2008
- UK Sport - Expert panel - The Brittle Athlete March 2008
- Nottingham University - 2004
- University of Wales College of Medicine - 2002
Latest papers : 2019/20
- Causer, A., Shute, J., Cummings, M., Shepherd, A., Gruet, M., Costello, J., Bailey, S., Lindley,M.R., Pearson, C., Connett, G., Allenby, M., Carroll, M., Daniels,T., and Saynor, Z. (2020 - in press) Circulating biomarkers of antioxidant status and oxidative stress in people with cystic fibrosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Redox Biology
- Ward, T., Evans, R., Lindley, M.R., Singh, S. and Steiner, M. (2020 - accepted). Change in V̇O2peak in response to aerobic exercise training and the relationship with exercise prescription in people with COPD: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Chest.
- Liam M Heaney, L.M., Kang, S., Turner, M.A., Lindley, M.R. and Thomas, C.L.P.(2020 – accepted) Metabolomic study of the exhaled breath of swimmers: evidence for alternative elimination profiles of disinfection by-products and potential markers of airway responses to chlorinated water exposure. Indoor Air
- McMurchie, B., Kelly, P., Reynolds, J., Lindley, M.R., King, R. and Torrens, G. (2020) Dietary omega-3 supplementation causes rapid, reversible changes to dark adaptation ability. https://chemrxiv.org/articles/Shedding_Light_on_the_Effect_of_Fish_Oil_Supplementation_on_Dark_Adaptation_Capabilities/11302613/1
- Steel, R.P., Hussey, B.C.L., Mastana, S.S., Lindley, M.R. and Taylor, I.M. (2020) Health-Related Motivational and Behavioral Processes Associated with DNA Methylation of Tumor Necrosis Factor Gene. Target: Health Psychology. Jan;39(1):68-76. https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fhea0000795
- Rosenthal, K, Turner, M., Lindley, M.R. and Hunsucker, E. (2019) Breath selection methods for compact mass spectrometry breath analysis. Journal of Breath Research. Sep 30;13(4):046013 https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1752-7163/ab34d4
- Wadley A.J., Keane G., Cullen T., Wilson L., Vautrinot J., Davies M., Hussey B., Hunter DJ., Mastana S., Holliday A., Petersen S., Bishop N.C., Lindley M.R., & Coles S.J. (2019) Characterisation of extracellular antioxidant enzyme concentrations in response to exercise in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology. Sep 1;127(3):858-866 https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/japplphysiol.00340.2019
- Youdell, D and Lindley, M.R. (In press). Social Theory, Biological Sciences and the Sociology of Knowledge in Education In: Andrew Brown & Emma Wisby (Eds) Knowledge, Policy and Practice: the struggle for social justice in education, London UCL IOE Press.
- Hunter, D.J. James, L., Hussesy, B., Wadley, A.J., Lindley, M.R. and Mastana, S.S. (2019) Impact of aerobic exercise on fatty acid supplementation on global and gene-specific DNA methylation. Epigenetics. 14:3, 294-309. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15592294.2019.1582276
- Capel. N. J., Lindley, M. R., Pritchard, G. J., Kimber, M. C. (2019) Indium-mediated 2- Oxonia Cope rearrangement of 1,4-dienols to 1,3-dienols. ACS Omega 4, 785. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.8b03118#
You can view a fuller publications list on the University Publications Database.