Dr Daniel Rhind joined Loughborough University as a Reader in Organisational Psychology as part of the Excellence 100 campaign in 2018. Daniel is a Chartered Psychologist and an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society. Daniel completed his PhD at Loughborough University in 2008. He has also been awarded a PGCHE (Brunel University), MSc in Applied Psychology (Cranfield University) and a BSc in Social Psychology (Loughborough University).
Daniel’s research is primarily focused on safeguarding children in, around, and through sport. In terms of ‘in’ sport, Daniel’s research was fundamental to the development of the International Safeguards for Children in Sport, which are now endorsed by over 80 organisations around the world. With respect to ‘around’ sport, Daniel’s research on how Mega Sports Events can impact the rights of children has had a significant impact through the Children Win campaign. In terms of ‘through’ sport, Daniel has published research regarding how sport can safeguard children through the development of life skills as well as via Sport for Development programmes. Daniel has received over £0.3m in funding from National Governing Bodies, charities and foundations.
Daniel’s research and consultancy has been funded by:
- National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
- Oak Foundation
- Daiwa Foundation
- UK Sport (International Inspiration)
- Commonwealth Secretariat
- European Commission
- The Football Association
- The Rugby Football Union
- The International Tennis Federation
- Cricket for Change
Daniel was also awarded the Sport Psychology Research Prize by the University of Manitoba for his PhD research.
Postgraduate Research Students
- Dr Alison Maitland – Organizational culture in elite Rowing - completed 2013
- Dr Georgia Allen – Developing life skills through youth sport - completed 2014
- Frank Owusu-Sekyere – Safeguarding children in sport – completed 2018
- Celena Dell – Experiences of football referees – expected to complete in 2018
- Gerd Marie Solstad – Safeguarding children through sport in Zambia – expected to complete in 2018
- Jamie McDermott – Developing safer organisational cultures in sport – expected to complete in 2019
- Anastasia Christophorou – Family well-being in elite youth sport – expected to complete in 2019
- Stephen Watkins – Anti-doping in Rugby Union – expected to complete in 2019
- Nicola Crawley – Well-being in elite youth football – expected to complete in 2020
- Lauren turner – Well-being in elite youth swimming – expected to complete in 2021
Daniel is a member of the following expert groups:
- Chair of the International Safeguards Working Group for Monitoring and Evaluation
- International Safeguards Advisory Group
- NSPCC Research Evidence and Advisory Group
- Sport Safeguarding Partnership
- Founder of the Brunel International Research Network for Athlete Welfare
- BASES Expert Panel on Safeguarding in sport
He makes regular contributions to national (e.g., BBC Radio Five Live, BBC News, Newsnight and a range of newspapers) and international media (e.g., CCTV in China, TRT World, NHK in Japan and ESPN in the USA) on issues related to safeguarding in sport.
To request consultancy and enterprise with Dr Rhind please contact the Enterprise Office.
To request media appearances by Dr Rhind please contact the Public Relations Office.
- Rhind, D. J. A., & Owusu-Sekyere, F. (2018). International Safeguards for Children in Sport: Developing and embedding a safeguarding culture. London: Routledge.
- O’Brien, K. S., Ferris, J., Greenlees, I., Jowett, S., Rhind, D. J. A. Cook, P. & Kypri, K. (2018). Masculinity, alcohol consumption, and alcohol-related aggression and antisocial behaviour in sport. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport.
- Rhind, D. J. A., Kay, T., Hills, L., & Owusu-Sekyere, F., (2017). Building a system to safeguard children in sport: The 8 CHILDREN pillars. Journal of Sport and Social Issues, 41, 151-171.
- Kavanagh, E., Knowles, Z., Brady, A., Rhind, D. J. A., Gervis, M., Miles, A. & Davison, R. (2016). The BASES Expert Statement on Safeguarding in the Sport and Exercise Sciences. The Sport and Exercise Scientist, 49, 20-21.
- Vertommen, T., Schipper-Van Veldhoven, N., Wouters, K., Kampen, J. K., Brackenridge, C. & Rhind, D. J. A. et al. (2016). Interpersonal violence against children in sport in the Netherlands and Belgium. Child Abuse and Neglect, 51, 223-236.
- Mountjoy, M., Rhind, D. J. A., Tiivas, A. & Leglise, M. (2015). Safeguarding the child athlete in sport: A review, a framework and recommendations for the IOC youth athlete development model. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 49, 883-6.
- Brackenridge, C., and Rhind, D. J. A. (2014). How major sporting events can mitigate risks of child exploitation. Journal of the International Centre for Sport Security, 1.
- O’Brien, K. S., Ferris, J., Greenlees, I., Jowett, S., Rhind, D. J. A. Cook, P. & Kypri, K. (2014). Alcohol industry sponsorship and hazardous drinking in UK University students who play sport. Addiction, 109, 1647-1654.
- Rhind, D. J. A., McDermott, J., Lambert, E., & Koleva, I. (2014). Managing safeguarding cases in sport. Child Abuse Review. 23, 418-426.
- Rhind, D. J. A. & Jowett, S. (2010). Relationship maintenance strategies in the coach-athlete relationship: The development of the COMPASS model. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 22, 106-121.
Invited Keynote Presentations
- Rhind, D. J. A. (2018: April). Safeguarding in, around and through sport. Keynote presentation at the British Association for the Study and Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect Conference, Warwick, United Kingdom.
- Rhind, D. J. A. (2017: June). Keynote Panel: Safeguarding in Sport. NSPCC How Safe Are Our Children Conference, London
- Rhind, D. J. A. (2017: April). Blowing the whistle on abuse in sport: Preventing the abuse of positions of trust. Keynote presentation at the Child Protection and well-being in Sport, Children in Scotland Conference, Glasgow.
- Rhind, D. J. A. (2017: April). Implications for policy makers of the research conducted in the development of the International Safeguards for Children in Sport. Policy Cohesion Expert Round Table, Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
- Rhind, D. J. A. (2015: November). Building a system to safeguard children in sport. Keynote presentation at the Protecting Children in Sport in Japan Conference, Tokyo.