Jamie graduated with a BSc degree in Sport Studies (1998) and an MSc in Sport, Health and Exercise Science (2000), both from Staffordshire University. In 2008, he completed his PhD entitled “Using Hypnosis to Enhance Sport Performers Self-Efficacy” also at Staffordshire University, which was supervised by Professor Marc Jones, Dr Iain Greenlees and Professor Tom Cochrane. Jamie has had lecturing positions in Sport and Exercise Psychology at both Edge Hill University and Staffordshire University. Whilst at Staffordshire he became Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology in 2007 and then Associate Professor of Applied Sport and Performance Psychology in 2013 before joining Loughborough University in 2017.
Jamie’s main research interest is centred on applied (sport and performance) psychology and is based around three key themes: intervention effectiveness (including applied research methods), group dynamics and leadership, and resilience. Jamie has specific interests in Hypnosis, Rational-Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT), Personal-Disclosure Mutual-Sharing (PDMS), Resilience (Challenge and Threat states), Social Identity (Group Dynamics and Leadership), Single-Case Research Methods, and the Psychological Characteristics of Elite Disability sport.
- White, R., Harwood, C. G., Clements, K., Clift, K., Barker, J. B. (2022). The use of physical activity to enhance mental wellbeing and social and psychological resilience. Funder: Economic and Social Research Council; Midlands Doctoral Training College Postdoctoral Fellowship. Awarded June 2022; Start date Oct 2022-Sept 2023. £115,058.
- Barker, J. B., Tolfrey, V., Paine, N., Plateau, C. R., & Sims, D. (2022). Examining the effects of psychological stress on transitions, recovery, performance, and well-being in elite UK Para footballers (primary investigator). Funder: The Football Association. Awarded January 2022; Start date October 2022-September 2025. £45,000.
- Cope, E., Taylor, L., Downward, P., & Barker, J. B. (2022). Cricket talent pathway project (co-investigator). Funder: England and Wales Cricket Board. Awarded Feb 2022; Start date March 2022-August 2022. £23,969.04.
- Barker, J. B., Plateau, C. R., & King, A. (2021). The role of athlete support personnel in promoting clean sport behaviours and cultures within international cerebral palsy football (primary investigator). Funder: World Anti-Doping Agency. Awarded May 2021; Start date Sept 2021-Feb 2023. £35,690
- Barker, J. B., & Plateau, C. R., (2021). Developing an understanding of mental health and wellbeing in UK professional cricket (primary investigator). Funder: Economic and Social Research Council; Midlands Doctoral Training College Studentship. Awarded April 2021; Start date Oct 2021-Sept 2025. £80,000
- Barker, J. B., & Plateau, C. R., (2021). Developing an understanding of challenges and facilitators for mental health and wellbeing in UK para-sport (primary investigator). Funder: Economic and Social Research Council; Midlands Doctoral Training College. Collaborative Award. Awarded Jan 2021; Start date Oct 2021-Sept 2024. £80,000
- Barker, J. B., &White, C., (2020). Resilience Program for Military veterans (primary investigator). Funder: Armed Forces Covenant: Start date Sept 2021-Sept 2022. £70,000
- Plateau, C. R., & Barker, J. B. (2020). A delphi study to identify the key research priorities of the Rugby Football Union Injured Players Foundation (co-investigator). Funder: RFU Injured Players Foundation. Start dateSept 2020-2021. £9,797
- Jamie Gilman (Supervisor; Principal Supervisor Dr Matt Slater, Supervisor Dr Martin Turner). The role of social identification in psychophysiological responses to stress (June 2021).
- Craig White (Principal Supervisor; Co-Supervisors: Professor Chris Harwood, Dr Matt Slater and Dr Martin Turner). Working title: Exploring social identity leadership on resilience within the Royal Air Force (RAF; December 2020).
- Janki Rajapurkar (Supervisor; Principal Supervisor Professor Marc Jones, Supervisor Dr Martin Turner). A cross cultural investigation of athletes’ responses to psychological stress in India and the UK (November 2019).
- Andrew Wood (Co-supervisor: Dr Martin Turner). Demanding success: Examining the effects of Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) on performance-related outcomes (January 2018).
- Matt Slater (Co-Supervisors: Professor Marc Jones and Dr Pete Coffee). Perceived and behavioural consequences of social identity leadership in performance settings (October 2014).
- Andrew Evans (Co-Supervisors: Dr Pete Coffee and Professor Marc Jones ). The meaning of groups: The importance and role of the content of social identities for cognition and behaviour (May 2014).
- Martin Turner (Principal Supervisor: Professor Marc Jones, Co-Supervisors: Professor David Sheffield, and Dr Pete Coffee). Promoting resource appraisals to influence challenge and threat states (May, 2013).
- Member, Para Football Performance Group (The Football Association)
- Chair, Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology (DSEP; 2015-2017)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology
- Member, Editorial Board, The International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Member, Editorial Board, The Sport Psychologist
Consultancy and Enterprise
Jamie is a Chartered Sport and Exercise Psychologist with the British Psychological Society and a Practitioner Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council. As an applied sport psychologist Jamie has over 20 years of experience working in business, professional sport, and the military. For example, he has consulted with Sony Europe, Sony Mobile, the Football Association, the England and Wales Cricket Board, Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club, Great Britain Rowing, Watford Football Club, Leicestershire County Cricket Club, and the Royal Air Force. In 2016, Jamie worked as a sport psychologist at the Rio Paralympics.
To request consultancy and enterprise with Dr Barker please contact the Enterprise Office.
To request media appearances by Dr Barker please contact the Public Relations Office.
- King, A., Turner, M. J., Plateau, C. R., Barker, J. B. (2022). The socialisation of athlete irrational beliefs. Journal of Rational-Emotive Cognitive-Behavior Therapy. DOI: 10.1007/s10942-022-00460-4
- Pointon, M., Walton, G., Lackenby, M., Barker, J. B., Turner, M. J., & Wilkinson, A. (2022). Information discernment and online reading behaviour: An experiment. Online Information Review. DOI: 10.1108/OIR-02-2021-0101
- Shah, E., Slater, M. S., Fransen, K., & Barker, J. B. (2022). The impact of intra-team communication and support relationships on team identification and collective efficacy in elite team sport: A social network analysis. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. DOI: 10.1080/1612197X.2022.2084761
- Young, P., Chow, V., Haslam, C. O., Barker, J. B., (in press). Can Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) and Mindfulness be Integrated Effectively within High Performance Settings? Journal of Rational-Emotive Cognitive-Behavior Therapy.
- Ogden, D., Coates., J. K., Plateau, C. R., & Barker, J. B. (2022). UK male professional cricketers’ mental health and support experiences: A qualitative exploration. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology. DOI: 10.1080/10413200.2022.2040652
- Jones, J. K., Turner, M. J., & Barker, J. B. (2021). The effects of a cognitive–behavioral stress intervention on the motivation and psychological well-being of senior U.K. police personnel. International Journal of Stress Management, 28(1), 46–60. DOI: 10.1037/str0000218
- Mertens, N., Boen, F., Steffens, N. K., Haslam, S. A., Bruner, M., Barker, J. B., Slater, M. S., & Fransen K. (2021). Harnessing the power of ‘us’: A randomized wait-list controlled trial of the 5R Shared Leadership Development Program (5RS) in basketball teams. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2021.101936.
- Walton, G., Pointon, M., Barker, J. B., Turner, M. J., Wilkinson, A. (2021). Information discernment and the psychophysiological effects of misinformation. Global Knowledge, Memory and Communication. DOI: 10.1108/GKMC-03-2021-0052
- Wood, A. G., Wilkinson, A., Turner, M. J., Haslam, C. O., & Barker, J. B. (2021). Into the fire: Applying Rational Emotive Behavioral Coaching (REBC) to reduce irrational beliefs and stress in fire service personnel. International Journal of Stress Management, 28(3), 232–243. DOI: 10.1037/str0000228
- Barker, J. B., Slater, M. S., Pugh, G., Mellalieu, S. D., McCarthy, P.J., Jones, M. V., & Moran, A. (2020). The effectiveness of psychological skills training and behavioral interventions in sport using single-case designs: A meta regression analysis of the peer-reviewed studies. Psychology of Sport & Exercise. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2020.101746
- T. Latinjak, A., Corbalan-Frigola, J., Alcoy-Fabregas, P., & Barker, J. B. (2020). Spontaneous self-talk: An insight into the cognitive component of emotions in sport. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 51(1), 28-46. DOI: 10.7352/IJSP.2020.51.028
- Whittingham, J., Barker, J. B., Slater, M. J., & Arnold, R. (2020). Exploring Organisational Stressors in Elite Disability Soccer. Journal of Sports Sciences. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2020.1815956
- White, C., Slater, M. J., Turner, M. J., & Barker, J. B., (2020). More positive group memberships and social identity are associated with greater resilience in Royal Air Force (RAF) personnel. British Journal of Social Psychology. DOI: 10.1111/bjso.12385
- Dixon, J., Barker, J. B., Thelwell, R., & Mitchell, I. (in prep). The Psychology of Soccer. Oxford: Routledge.
- Turner, M. J., & Barker, J. B. (2014). Tipping the balance: The mental skills handbook for athletes. London: Bennion Kearny.
- Turner, M. J., & Barker, J. B. (2014). What business can learn from sport psychology. London: Bennion Kearny.
- Cotterill, S. C., & Barker, J. B. (2013). The psychology of cricket: Developing mental toughness. London: Bennion Kearny.
- Barker, J. B., McCarthy, P. J., Jones, M. V., & Moran, A. P. (2011). Single-case research methods in sport and exercise psychology. Oxford: Routledge.
- Barker, J. B. (2018). “It will be the end of the world if we don’t win this game”: Exploring the use of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) interventions in Paralympic Soccer. In M. J. Turner and R. Bennett (eds.), The use of REBT in sport psychology: Case-studies. London: Routledge.
- Barker, J. B. (2018). Hypnosis. In D. Hackfort, R. J. Schinke, and B. Strauss (eds.), Dictionary of sport psychology. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Wood, A. W., Barker, J. B., & Turner, M. J. (2018). Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) to Help Young Athletes Build Resileince and Deal with Adversity. In C. Knight, C. G. Harwood, and D. Gould (eds.), Sport psychology for young athletes. London: Routledge.
- Slater, M. J., Barker, J. B., & Mellalieu, S. D. (2017). “We are in this together”: A social identity perspective on change and conflict management. In C. Wagstaff (ed.), The organizational psychology of sport: Key issues and practical applications. London: Routledge.
- Evans, A. L., Slater, M. J., Coffee, P., & Barker, J. B. (2017). Pulling the group together: The role of the social identity approach. In R. Thelwell, C. G. Harwood and I. Greenlees (eds.), The psychology of coaching: Research and Practice. London: Routledge.
- Steptoe, K., Barker, J. B., & Harwood, C. G. (2016). Psychological service provision to the elite football performance network: Supporting coaches, players, parents, and teams. In L. S. Tashman & G. Cremandes (eds.), Global practices and training in applied, sport, exercise, and performance psychology: A case study approach. London: Routledge.
- Barker, J. B. (2014). Hypnosis. In R. C. Eklund & G. Tenenbaum (eds.), Encyclopaedia of sport and exercise psychology. London: Sage.
- Steptoe, K., Barker, J. B., & Harwood, C. G. (2014). Enhancing the performance of individual athletes and teams: Considerations and challenges for the delivery of psychological services. In L. S. Tashman & G. Cremandes (eds.), Becoming a sport, exercise, and performance psychology professional: A global perspective. London: Routledge.
- Barker, J. B. (2013). Becoming a sport psychologist: From Don Bradman to Luke Skywalker. In P. J. McCarthy & M. V. Jones (eds.), Becoming a sport psychologist. London: Routledge.
- McCarthy, P. J., & Barker J. B. (2009). Stress in young athletes: Time for a developmental analysis? In C. H. Chang (ed), Handbook of sports psychology. New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Myers, T. D., & Barker, J. B. (2009). The development of mental toughness in sport. In M. Duncan & M. Lyons (eds), Advances in strength and conditioning research. New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Walton, G., Barker, J. B., Hepworth, M., & Stephens, D. (2007). Facilitating information literacy teaching and learning in a Level 1 sport and exercise module by means of collaborative online and reflective learning. In S. Andretta (Ed.), Change and challenge: Information literacy for the 21st century. Blackwood, Australia. Auslib Press.