Laura completed her undergraduate Psychology degree at Northumbria University in 2011 before the completion of her MRes Psychology degree in 2012. In 2016, Laura was awarded a PhD in Psychology which focused upon the functional working memory architecture of two types of visual working memory tasks in adults and children.
Laura has held academic teaching positions at Northumbria University, Oxford Brookes University and the University of Strathclyde before moving to Loughborough in 2018. Throughout her teaching career, Laura has taught on numerous Psychology modules including cognition, statistics, personality and individual differences, biological psychology, questionnaire design, qualitative methods, development and social psychology.
Laura is a Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) with the British Psychological Society and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Laura’s research interests are focussed around areas of personality, emotion recognition, working memory, and pedagogical issues within teaching Psychology.
These research interests include:
- Links between working memory and intelligence across the lifespan.
- How personality can link to concepts such as resilience, mental health, wellbeing, and academic achievement.
- Factors that influence academic achievement in university students.
- Editorial Board Member, Reviewer and Cognitive Psychology Correspondent for Psychreg Journal of Psychology.
- Course consultant for Oxford Royale Academy – assisting with the creation of psychology courses offered to 13-25-year-old students.
- Developer of the Psychological and Behavioural Sciences summer school, Oxford Royale Academy.
- External speaker and contributor for numerous organisations including the Teaching, Innovation, Learning and Enhancement Network, feeder colleges into Loughborough, Vevox, and Psychreg.
- Lack, O., & Jenkins, L. (2021). Non-clinical Autistic Traits, Perceived Social Support and Perceived Stress. A Preliminary Study in the General Population. Psychreg Journal of Psychology, 5(2), 23-37
- Parker, J., & Jenkins, L. (2021). Helping, Sharing and Comforting Behaviours in Primary School Children: The Effect of Year Group and Well-Being on Prosocial Behaviours. Psychreg Journal of Psychology, 5(2), 64-75
- Rae, M., & Jenkins, L. (2021). Athletic Identity: The Role of Race and Gender in the Athletic Identification of British Basketball Players. Psychreg Journal of Psychology, 5(1), 72-84.
- Jenkins, L., & Hamilton, C. (2019). Do coordinate measures of visual working memory predict intelligence in children aged 7-13 years? Psychreg Journal of Psychology, 3(2), 1-9.
- Jenkins, L. and Hamilton, C. (2019). Are change detection tasks visual specific in nature? An investigation of dual task methods. International Journal of School and Cognitive Psychology, 5(4), 1-6. DOI: 10.4172/2469-9837.1000216
- Jenkins, L. (2017). Does personality effect emotion facial recognition? A comparison between Ekman’s Emotion Hexagon Test and a newly created measure. Madridge Journal of Neuroscience, 1(1), 38-46. DOI: 10.18689/mjns-1000107