Karl completed his Secondary PGCE in Physical Education here at Loughborough in 2005 having previously graduated from Loughborough with a Sport and Exercise Science Degree. He taught PE at Beauchamp College in Leicestershire before becoming an SSCo and an Internal AST responsible for ITE and NQT’s at John Taylor High school in Barton-Under-Needwood. Whilst working in school Karl undertook an MA in Educational Leadership and Innovation. Most recently Karl was the Pathway Leader for Secondary ITE PE at Wolverhampton University and whilst in this role he completed a postgraduate certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Prior to this he was a Senior Lecturer, led CPD in schools, taught on postgraduate modules and was a Route Leader for an MA Education in Mauritius.
Karl is currently a module leader for two of the PGCE PE modules and leads on the recruitment and selection process. Karl also leads undergraduate modules in teaching and coaching and he was part of a working group to develop the new Sports Coaching and Physical Education Degree. Karl has recently completed the HEA Professional Development Course for External Examiners and he is also looking forward to some new work as a University Assessor.
Karl has started a PhD (Part-time) in Education at Loughborough University and he is researching the impact of PETE on Physical Education Teachers’ Identities, Philosophies and Pedagogies. Karl is undertaking a longitudinal qualitative study as he explores this research area from a unique position in his role in Physical Education – Teacher Education, with trainee and newly qualified teachers here at Loughborough.
Karl focused his MA research on in school interventions looking at the impact of single and mixed sex PE and CPD opportunities through accreditation. Karl enjoys working as and with mentors both in education and coaching and looks forward to exploring the effectiveness and impact of this at Loughborough.
Honours and Prizes
- Professional Footballer (1997-2000)
- Represented Great Britain Universities Football (2003)
- Team/Partnership Award at the Leicester-Shire & Rutland Multi-Sport Volunteers Event (2008)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2012)
- Loughborough University Achievement Award (2018)
Membership of Professional Associations
- Association for Physical Education
- The Football Association Licensed Coaches Club
- The Higher Education Academy
- Leicestershire and Rutland County FA Schools Coach/Manager U16 (2007-2009)
- Loughborough Dynamo Player-Coach (2008)
- FA Mentor (2014-2015)
- Quorn AFC Assistant Manager (2014-2015)
- Loughborough University (MFL) Head Coach (2015 - 2017)
- Rounders England Tutor (2014 - 2017)
- St George’s Park Community Football Coach (2012)
- FA Level 1, 2, 3 Tutor (2009)