Loughborough Rugby offers a unique playing programme with our Performance teams competing in both RFU National 2 North (Tier 4) and BUCS Super Rugby (BSR), the top tier of university rugby.
The Rugby Programme benefits from a formal partnership with the RFU, along with strong working relationships with England 7s and a number of Premiership Clubs. Players within the programme utilise the world class facilities on offer at Loughborough which enhances our ability to provide a professional rugby environment where players can maximise their potential.
Development is fundamental to our programme and we firmly believe that this is done through experiences and playing games. We believe our competitive playing programme provides the perfect balance for this, as well as providing a player experience that is second to none. Competing in the fourth tier of English rugby and BSR allows our players to experience contrasting styles of rugby and competition, as well as plenty of playing opportunities. Along with the core rugby offer provided by both competitions, we actively encourage further opportunities for our players through training with Premiership and Championship teams, England Senior Men’s training experiences or pushing for representative U20s honours.
Training Week & Training Environment
Our performance rugby players will be able to access the world class sports facilities on campus as part of their daily/weekly programme, including (but not limited to):
- IRB international standard Rugby Rubber Crumb 1st XV Pitch
- Powerbase Gym - A high performance training evnvironment and one of the largest Strength & Conditioning centres in the UK. Host to the English Institute of Sport (EIS) and used daily by GBR and Olympic athletes
- Loughborough Sport Physiotherapy Clinic
- Ice baths
- Olympic size (50m) swimming pool – home to British Swimming
- HiPac Athletics Centre (indoor and outdoor facility) – home to the British Athletics National Performance Institute
- Sir David Wallace Sports Hall
A normal week includes:
- 3 Team training sessions
- 3 Strength and Conditioning sessions (Individual Specific Programmes)
- 1 Match (BUCS Super Rugby or National 2 Rugby)
- Team and individual video analysis
- Massage and physiotherapy
- Review of individual development plans and skill development with area specific coaches
Performance squad members receive thousands of pounds worth of support, incorporating coaching, strength and conditioning, sports medicine, sports science, nutrition, psychology, lifestyle and academic flexibility. In addition to this incredible support, our sport scholarships provide direct financial support for our most exceptional performance rugby players.
One of the incredible things about Loughborough Students Rugby Football Club is that, not only are we very successful, but we offer a vast array of academic opportunities to our players at both Loughborough College and Loughborough University.
If you are interested in joining the Loughborough University Rugby Programme please fill in the form below to the best of your knowledge. The application forms are monitored regularly and someone will look to respond to you as soon as possible.