Here at Loughborough University we take the protection of your data and your privacy seriously and this part of our website provides information on what personal data we collect (including through both the Lboro Sport & Lboro Comps apps); how and why we collect it; how we store it and for how long we keep it. This Notice will also explain how we look after your data and protect your rights in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation.
Further information and guidance on the University’s approach to personal information can be found at the University’s Information Governance webpages.
What personal information do we hold about you?
Loughborough Sport retrieves data on students and staff from Loughborough University's central registry systems - LUSI for students and iTrent for staff; student and staff provide this data when they join the University. Additional data may be requested from Loughborough University students and staff when they want to access our facilities and use our services, including those available through the Lboro Comps app. Data will be retrieved from other individuals, who are not Loughborough University students or staff, through registration, membership application, booking and parental consent forms.
The categories that we may collect, store and use about you include (but are not limited to):
- name, address and contact telephone number;
- date of birth and gender;
- student / staff ID number and chip number in Loughborough University ID card;
- email address;
- Loughborough University course or department information;
- Loughborough University Hall information;
- visual images / photographs (including CCTV);
- payment information and financial details.
We may also need to process special category personal data which includes: racial or ethnic origin, physical or mental health conditions, sexual orientation and biometric or genetic data. Special Category personal information may be processed in the following circumstances:
- in limited circumstances, with your explicit written consent;
- to carry out our legal obligations or comply with relevant legislation;
- required in the public interest, such as equal opportunities monitoring and reporting;
- to assess your capability to participate in physical activity on health grounds and enable us to offer you support, subject to appropriate confidentiality safeguards;
- to investigate student behaviour (under our Student Code of Behaviour).
Why do we collect your information?
We use your personal information for the purposes:
- To allow entry into Loughborough Sport facilities.
- To carry out our contractual obligations between you and us.
- To confirm eligibility for price categories at discounted rates.
- To notify you about changes to our services.
- To provide information on products or services that you may request from us, or which we feel may be of interest of you, and where you have given consent for us to contact you for such purposes.
- To register individuals with national governing bodies, where you have given consent for us to pass on this information.
- For producing marketing materials, such as sports guides and website content in the form of videos or images. Personal data alongside photographs will only be used with explicit consent.
- To enable all financial transactions to and from us, including administration of sponsorships which may include sharing personal data with third party sponsorship providers.
- Where is it necessary to comply with a legal obligation.
- To provide management statistics though analysing member data which may be used by us enhance the student experience.
- For security, safety and disciplinary purposes to support our student code of behaviour.
- To ensure we meet our statutory obligations, including those related to diversity and equal opportunities.
Who has access to your data at the University?
Associated departments of Loughborough Sport within the University will have access to your personal data in a secure electronic format for the provision of services, account administration, marketing, student support and technical support, for instance.
Who do we share your data with outside the University?
We partner with third-party service providers both in the UK and around the world and share your personal data for them to process to fulfil the service they provide to Loughborough Sport such as, membership administration including financial payments, direct marketing and data analytics. They are not permitted to share or use your personal information for any other purpose.
Upon request we may be required to share your personal data for the following:
- Legal and compliance reasons, such as the prevention, detection, or investigation of a crime.
- External contracted coaches for those that participate in an organised Loughborough Sport programme.
- To enable us to provide appropriate care in the event of an emergency.
- To secure scholarship/funding.
- To meet external audit or governmental requirements.
How long do we keep your information?
The University has appropriate security measures in place electronically and to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way.
We will not store your personal information for longer than is necessary and when we no longer need this information we will delete or destroy it. We will also ensure our trusted partners and selected third parties with whom we share your personal data in accordance with this Privacy Notice will do the same. Retention periods are determined by local laws, contractual obligations, and the expectations and requirements of our data subjects.
Loughborough University does not sell your data to third parties or other organisations.
From time to time, Loughborough University will use your personal data to conduct analysis that will provide useful information.
Who can I contact?
If you have a general question about how Loughborough Sport related data is used, please do contact us. You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also contact this email if you have a concern or complaint about how your data is being handled.
If you have any questions more generally regarding Data Protection at the University, then please do contact the Data Protection Officer on email@example.com or write to:
- The Data Protection Officer at Academic Registry, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leics, UK LE11 3TU.
You may find additional useful information and the answer to your query on our Information Governance webpages.
Complaints about Data Protection
If you have taken steps to have a concern or complaint about Loughborough University’s handling of data resolved but are still not satisfied you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ico), who are the relevant regulator for data privacy and protection matters. The ico can be contacted at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF and your will find more information on their webpages.
Updates to this policy
This section was last updated in September 2018. It is reviewed as necessary. If there are significant changes in the processing of your personal data which will impact you, we will act to inform your directly.