- 2018 onwards: RAEng Engineering for Development Research Fellow, Loughborough University
- 2017-18: Research Associate, Dept. of Geography, Loughborough University
- 2017 onwards: Honorary Lecturer, Dept. of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy, University College London (UCL STEaPP)
- 2015 onwards: Visiting Researcher, Centre for Environment and Sustainability, University of Surrey
- 2015-17: Research Fellow, Dept. of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy, University College London
- 2014 -15: Research Fellow, Centre for Environment and Sustainability, University of Surrey
- 2007-12: Associate Lecturer & Tutor, School of Photovoltaic & Renewable Energy Engineering, University of New South Wales
- 2018 onwards: UN Economic Commission for Europe Expert Group on Resource Classification, Renewables Working Group, Solar Subgroup
- 2018 onwards: Management Committee, Low Carbon Energy for Development Network
- 2017-18: Editor, Low Carbon Energy for Development Network Briefing Paper Series
- 2015-17: Trustee, Engineers Without Borders UK
- 2015-17: Chair, Energy and Development Group, University College London
- 2009: Renewable Energy Engineer, Integrated Development Services, Nepal
- 2007: Consultant (sustainable energy policy), Energy Strategies, Australia
- 2006: Conference and Workshop Facilitator, Initiatives of Change
- 2005: Consultant (energy efficiency policy), Mark Ellis & Associates, Australia
- 2018: Engineering for Development Fellowship, Enhancing Community Energy Resilience Using Renewable Energy in Developing Countries (funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering)
- 2018: Principal Investigator, Research collaborations on community energy resilience in low-income countries (funded by the UK Energy Research Centre and DfID’s Energy and Economic Growth programme)
- 2018: Co-Investigator, Long-term institutional change in the wake of crisis: understanding implications for energy-system resilience (funded by Institute for Global Innovation, University of Birmingham)
- 2016: Co-Investigator, Role of informal governance systems in crisis response and crisis recovery (funded by UCL STEaPP)
- 2016: Co-Investigator, Visions of infrastructure (funded by UCL STEaPP)
- 2015: Principal Investigator, Enhancing community resilience using renewable energy in Nepal (funded by UCL STEaPP)
- 2008: Named Researcher, Overcoming barriers to renewable energy in rural Indonesia by community capacity building (funded by Australian Agency for International Development)
She is an Engineering for Development Research Fellow funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng). Her research tackles the challenge of providing access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all in the context of increasing long-term pressures and sudden shocks, such as climate change, disasters and conflicts.
Her research focuses on enhancing community energy resilience using renewable energy. She is currently working with communities in Nepal and Malawi to create innovative energy solutions. She is also developing methodologies for measuring community energy resilience, as well as assessing the interdependencies and trade-offs between energy systems and other critical infrastructure. This research is being expanded to other countries in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa through a networking project funded by the UK Energy Research Centre and the Energy and Economic Growth Programme.
Her previous research included mapping the synergies and trade-offs between energy and the Sustainable Development Goals; agro-industries and clean energy in Africa; capacity development for renewable energy projects in rural China and Indonesia; solar-powered water purification in remote areas in Australia; and local manufacture of solar photovoltaic systems in Nicaragua. She also engages regularly with policy-makers, most recently providing capacity building support for the Department for International Development’s Transforming Energy Access Programme as part of the Low Carbon Energy for Development Network.
She is focused on research in her current role, but contributes as a Guest Lecturer to undergraduate and postgraduate modules, including Geographies of Global Economic Change and Globalisation: Key Debates and Issues.
She has previously lectured and convened modules on Renewable Energy in Developing Countries, and Clean Energy and Development at postgraduate and undergraduate levels.
- To, LS, Seebaluck, V, Leach, M (2018) Future energy transitions for bagasse cogeneration: Lessons from multi-level and policy innovations in Mauritius, Energy Research and Social Science, ISSN: 2214-6296. DOI: 10.1016/j.erss.2017.10.051.
- Fuso Nerini, F, Tomei, J, To, LS, Bisaga, I, Parikh, P, Black, M, Borrion, A, Spataru, C, Castan Broto, V, Anandarajah, G, Milligan, B, Mulugetta, Y (2018) Mapping synergies and trade-offs between energy and the Sustainable Development Goals, Nature Energy. DOI: 10.1038/s41560-017-0036-5.
- Brown, E, Campbell, B, Cloke, J, To, LS, Turner, B, Wray, A (2018) Low carbon energy and international development: from research impact to policymaking, Contemporary Social Science, ISSN: 2158-2041. DOI: 10.1080/21582041.2017.1417627.
- Castan Broto, V, Stevens, L, Ackom, E, Tomei, J, Parikh, P, Bisaga, I, To, LS, Kirshner, J, Mulugetta, Y (2017) A research agenda for a people-centred approach to energy access in the urbanising global south, Nature Energy, 2(10), pp.776-77. DOI: 10.1038/s41560-017-0007-x.
- To, LS, Kwapata, K, Masala, L, Alonso Navarro, V, Batchelor, S, Mulugetta, Y, Barnett, A, Karekezi, S (2017) Policy perspectives on expanding cogeneration from bagasse in Malawi, Journal of Energy in Southern Africa, 28(1), pp.45-53, ISSN: 1021-447X.
- Francisco, G, Harcourt, W, Farhar, BC, Osnes, B, Karve, P, To, LS, Speer, N, Sweetman, C (2012) Views, events, and debates, Gender & Development, 20, pp.607-621, ISSN: 1355-2074. DOI: 10.1080/13552074.2012.731759.