2021: EGU Ralph Alger Bagnold Medal
2018: Fellow of the British Society for Geomorphology
2016: Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
2014 onwards: Associate Dean (Teaching).
2014: Loughborough University Research-Informed Teaching Prize.
2011 onwards: Professor of Physical Geography, Loughborough University.
2006: Loughborough University Teaching Prize.
2004-2016: Adjunct Professor in Atmospheric Research, Griffith University, Australia.
2004: Philip Leverhulme Prize (Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences).
2004: Gordon Warwick Award (British Society for Geomorphology).
2019 onwards: Member RGS-IBG Professional Advisory Group
2017-2020 Member RGS-IBG Council (Expeditions and Fieldwork)
2016-2020 Chair, RGS-IBG Geography Programmes Accreditation Panel
2014-2016 President, International Society for Aeolian Research.
2014-2016 Chair, British Society for Geomorphology.
2013-2014 Vice-Chair, British Society for Geomorphology.
2010-2014 President-Elect, International Society for Aeolian Research.
2008-2013 Associate Editor, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms.
2006-2013- Physical Geography Editor, RGS-IBG Book Series.
2004 onwards: Editorial Board Member, Geomorphology.
Joanna Bullard’s research focuses on aeolian processes, landforms and sediments in both dryland and coastal environments. It contributes to debates concerning, and our understanding of, the responses of arid and coastal aeolian systems to climate fluctuations and the potential importance of aeolian processes in global biogeochemical cycles. Recent research projects have focused on dust emissions in cold climates, the identification of sub-basin scale aeolian dust sources using remote sensing imagery, and coastal dune development and geomorphology on the UK North Sea coast.
She is currently researching the sources, transport, distribution and impacts of dust generated within the high latitudes (defined as ≥50°N and ≥40°S). This involves collaboration with colleagues specialising in remote sensing and modelling of dust emissions, and also a series of major field campaigns in Iceland (2015-16) and Greenland (2017-2019) to determine dust emission processes and the impact of dust inputs to Arctic lakes and soils.
Joanna teaches physical geography, including specialist topics such as aeolian processes and landforms. She runs the final year dryland environments fieldtrip which currently takes place in Namibia.
Current postgraduate research students
- Maud Van Soest: "The relative importance of soil-forming processes vs dust inputs under changing climate conditions in Kangerlussuaq, South West Greenland"
Recent postgraduate research students
- Tom Mockford (2018) "Sources, drivers and sedimentology of Icelandic dust events"
- Helena Stewart (2016) "Peat’s secret archive: reconstructing the North Atlantic storm frequency and volcanic eruption history of the last 10,000 years"
Bullard, J.E., Ockelford, A., O’Brien, P., McKenna Neuman, C. 2021. Preferential transport of microplastics by wind. Atmospheric Environment, 245, 118038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2020.118038
- Elliott, D.R., Thomas, T.D., Strong, C.L., Aubault, H.A., McTainsh, G.H., Bullard, J.E. 2019. Surface stability in drylands is influenced by dispersal strategy of soil bacteria. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences. 124, 3403-3418. Doi: 10.1029/2018JG004932.
- Saros, J.E., Anderson, N.J., Juggins, S., Mcgowan, S., Yde, J.C., Telling, J., Bullard, J.E., Yallop, M.L., Heathcote, A.J., Burpee, B.T., Fowler, R.A., Barry, C.D., Northington, R.M., Osburn, C.L., Pla-Rabes, S., Mernild, S.H., Whiteford, E.J., Andrews, M.G., Kerby, J.T., Post, E. 2019. Arctic climate shifts drive rapid ecosystem responses across the West Greenland landscape. Environmental Research Letters. 14, 7, doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/ab2928.
- Ackerley, D., Bullard, J.E., Chandler, J.H., Millett, J., Montreuil, A-L. 2019. Post-storm geomorphic recovery and resilience of a prograding coastal dune system. Environmental Research Communications. 1, 011004, doi: 10.1088/2515-7620/ab0258.
- Bullard, J.E., Aubault, H., Ockelford, A., Strong, C. 2018. Surface roughness and spatial patterning of cyanobacterial crusts control soil microtopographic and erosion response to rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 123. doi:10.1029/2018JG004726.
- Mockford, T., Bullard, J.E., Thorsteinsson, Th. 2018. The dynamic effects of sediment availability on the relationship between wind speed and dust concentration. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. doi:10.1002/esp.4407
- Bullard, J.E., Mockford, T. 2018. Seasonal and decadal variability of dust observations in the Kangerlussuaq area, West Greenland, Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research. 50, 1, S100011, doi:10.1080/15230430.2017.1415854.
- Nash, DJ, Bateman, MD, Bullard, JE, Latorre, C. 2018. Late Quaternary coastal evolution and aeolian sedimentation in the tectonically-active southern Atacama Desert, Chile. Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, Palaeogeography. doi:10.1016/j.palaeo.2017.11.040.