2015 onwards: Senior Lecturer in Physical Geography, Loughborough University
2007 onwards: Lecturer in Physical Geography, Loughborough University.
2003 - 2007: Research Associate, Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge.
1999 - 2003: Higher Scientific Officer (Marine Geosciences), British Antarctic Survey.
2015 onwards: External examiner for the Master’s Degree (M.Phil) in Polar Sciences, Department of Geography, University of Cambridge.
2009 onwards: Member of the review and moderating panel, Research Councils or Science Foundations of Norway, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Poland and Czech Republic and International Ocean Drilling Program.
Research interests focus on investigating marine and terrestrial landform records to better understand Quaternary ice-mass and environmental change in the Arctic and Antarctic. This involves reconstructing the history, behaviour and flow-dynamics of ice sheets in Greenland, Antarctic Peninsula, West Antarctica and Svalbard-Barents Sea. Specific emphasis is placed on understanding the role of ice streams in ice sheet flow-dynamics and their response to drivers of environmental change, as well as the genesis and transport of subglacial sediment and its influence on ice stream flow. An additional focus is on investigating the subglacial environment of contemporary and Holocene glaciers in the High Arctic (Sweden) and the role it plays in facilitating and regulating ice-flow.
Jeff also focuses research on contemporary and past glacial geomorphic processes by examining the large to small-scale patterns and processes of glacial and glacially-influenced sedimentation and landforms associated with subglacial, glacimarine (fjord, continental margin and deep-ocean) and terrestrial environments. A key component of this work has been to characterise glacial and glacially-influenced sedimentation and erosion beneath and adjacent to floating and grounded tidewater glacier margins, and in proglacial areas beyond land-terminating ice margins, in polar regions. Recent work is focused on spatial and temporal characteristics and behaviour of contemporary and recent turbid meltwater plumes issuing from land- and marine-terminating glaciers to the ocean around Greenland and Svalbard.
Jeff's teaching focuses on the undergraduate Geography degree course and includes:
- Part-A: Earth System Science, Environmental Hazards.
- Part-B: Geographical Research and Design Practice, Exploring the Ice Ages.
- Part-C: Glacial Environments and Landscapes, and Arctic Glaciers Fieldcourse.
Current postgraduate research students
- Peter Hill: "Reconstructing Svalbard ice-mass evolution and dynamics since the last glaciation"
Recent postgraduate research students
- Joe Pomeroy (2013) "The Sedimentary and Geomorphic Signature of Subglacial processes in the Tarfala Valley, Northern Sweden and the Links between subglacial soft-bed Deformation, Glacier Flow Dynamics and Landform Generation"
- Arndt, J.E., and Evans, J., in press. Glacial morphology of a palaeo-ice stream on the continental shelf of NE Greenland. In Dowdeswell, J.A., Canals, M., Todd, B.J., Dowdeswell, E.K. and Hogan, K.A., eds, Atlas of Submarine Glaciated Landforms. Geological Society of London.
- Evans, J. and Hogan, K.A.., in press. Grounding zone wedges on the Northern Larsen Shelf, Antarctic Peninsula. In Dowdeswell, J.A., Canals, M., Todd, B.J., Dowdeswell, E.K. and Hogan, K.A., eds, Atlas of Submarine Glaciated Landforms. Geological Society of London.
- Evans, J. and Dowdeswell, J.A., in press. Holocene submarine gullies and an axial channel in glacier-influenced Courtauld Fjord, East Greenland. In Dowdeswell, J.A., Canals, M., Todd, B.J., Dowdeswell, E.K. and Hogan, K.A., eds, Atlas of Submarine Glaciated Landforms. Geological Society of London.
- Dowdeswell, JA, Hogan, KA, Ó Cofaigh, C, Fugelli, EMG, Evans, J, Noormets, R (2014)Late Quaternary ice flow in a West Greenland fjord and cross-shelf trough system: submarine landforms from Rink Isbrae to Uummannaq shelf and slope, Quaternary Science Reviews, 92, 292 – 309, ISSN: 0277-3791. DOI: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.09.007.
- Ó Cofaigh, C., Davies, B.J., Livingstone, S.J., Smith, J.A., Johnson, J.S., Hocking, E.P., Hodgson, D.A., Anderson, J.B., Bentley, M.J., Canals, M., Domack, E., Dowdeswell, J.A.,Evans, J., Glasser, N.F., Hillenbrand, C.D., Larter, R.D., Roberts, S.J. & Simms, A.R.Reconstruction of ice-sheet changes in the Antarctic Peninsula since the Last Glacial Maximum. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2014;100:JQSR-D-13-00424.
- Ó Cofaigh, C, Kilfeather, A, McCarthy, DJ, Lloyd, JM, Dowdeswell, JA, Hogan, KA, Jennings, AE, Andrews, JT, Hiemstra, JF, Noormets, R, Evans, J, Moros, M (2013) An extensive and dynamic ice sheet on the west greenland shelf during the last glacial cycle, Geology, 41(2), pp.219-222, ISSN: 0091-7613. DOI: 10.1130/G33759.1.
- Dowdeswell, J.A., Evans, J. and Ó Cofaigh, C., 2010. Submarine landforms and shallow acoustic stratigraphy of a 400 km-long fjord-shelf-slope-transect, Kangerlussuaq margin, East Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews, 29, 3359-3369, doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2010.06.006.
- Dowdeswell, JA, Hogan, KA, Evans, J, Noormets, R, Ó, CC, Ottesen, D (2010) Past ice-sheet flow east of Svalbard inferred from streamlined subglacial landforms, Geology, 38, pp.163-166, DOI: 10.1130/G30621.1.
- Evans, J, Cofaigh, CÓ, Dowdeswell, JA, Wadhams, P (2009) Marine geophysical evidence for former expansion and flow of the Greenland Ice Sheet across the north-east Greenland continental shelf, Journal of Quaternary Science, 24(3), pp.279-293, ISSN: 0267-8179. DOI:10.1002/jqs.1231.
- Dowdeswell, JA, Ottesen, D, Evans, J, Ò'Cofaigh, C, Anderson, JB (2008) Submarine glacial landforms and rates of ice-stream collapse, Geology, 36(10), pp.809-822, DOI:10.1130/G24808A.1.
- Ò Cofaigh, C., Evans, J., Dowdeswell, J.A. and Larter, R.D., 2007. Till characteristics, genesis and transport beneath Antarctic palaeo-ice streams. Journal of Geophysical Research, Earth Surface, 112, F03006, doi:101029/2006JF000606.
- Evans, J., Dowdeswell, J.A., Ó Cofaigh, C. & Anderson, J.B. & Benham, T.J., 2006. Extent, dynamics and processes of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet on the outer continental shelf of Pine Island Bay, Amundsen Sea, Antarctica during the last glaciation. Marine Geology, 230, 53-72.
- Dowdeswell, J.A., Evans, J., Ó Cofaigh, C., & Anderson, J.B., 2006. Morphology of the continental slope off Pine Island Bay, Amundsen Sea, West Antarctica. Bulletin of theGeological Society of America, 118 (5), 606-619.
- Ó Cofaigh, C., Larter, R.D., Dowdeswell, J.A., Hillenbrand, C.D., Pudsey, C.J., Evans, J. & Morris, P., 2005. Flow of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet on the continental margin of the Bellingshausen Sea at the Last Glacial Maximum. Journal of Geophysical Research. 2005;110:1-13.
- Evans, J., Pudsey, C.J., Ó Cofaigh, C., Morris, P. & Domack, E., 2005. Late Quaternary glacial history, flow dynamics and sedimentation along the eastern margin of the Antarctic Peninsula Ice Sheet. Quaternary Science Reviews, 24, 741-774.
- Evans, J., Dowdeswell, J.A. and Ó Cofaigh, C., 2004. Submarine bedforms and former ice sheet flow in the Gerlache Strait and on the inner continental shelf, Antarctic Peninsula.Journal of Quaternary Science, 19, 397-407.
- Evans, J. and Pudsey, C.J., 2002. Sedimentation associated with Antarctic Peninsula ice shelves: implications for palaeoenvironmental reconstructions of glacimarine sediments.Journal of the Geological Society, 159, 233-237.
- Evans, J., Dowdeswell, J.A., Grobe, H., Niessen, F., Stein, R., Hubberten, H.W. and Whittington, R.J., 2002. Late Quaternary sedimentation in Kejser Franz Joseph Fjord and on the continental margin of East Greenland. In: Dowdeswell, J.A. and Ó Cofaigh, C. (eds.),Glacier-influenced sedimentation on high-latitude continental margins. Geological Society of London, Special publication, 203, 149-179.
- Pudsey, C.J. and Evans, J., 2001. First survey of Antarctic sub-ice shelf sediments reveals mid-Holocene ice shelf retreat. Geology, 29, 787-790.