Performance Para sport
Loughborough University is home to one of the largest multi-sport communities of Para athletes within a Higher Education Institution in the UK.
Loughborough is proud to have a number of student athletes that have competed for Great Britain at the Paralympic Games including:
- Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson DBE (Para-Athletics)
- Ellie Simmonds (Para-Swimming)
- Dan Greaves (Para-Athletics)
- Jonathan Broom-Edwards (Para-Athletics)
- Amy Conroy (Wheelchair Basketball)
- Clare Griffiths (Wheelchair Basketball)
- Jude Hamer (Wheelchair Basketball)
- Laurie Williams (Wheelchair Basketball)
- Mikey Jones (Para-Swimming)
- Crystal Lane (Para-Cycling)
- Sam Ruddock (Para-Athletics)
- James Hollis (Para-Swimming)
- Emma Hollis (Para-Swimming)
At the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, Loughborough based athletes contributed an impressive 10 Gold, 8 Silver and 4 Bronze medals to the overall medal tally for ParalympicsGB.
Several Paralympic National Governing Bodies (NGBs) also choose to base their Performance Programmes at Loughborough University thanks to its world class facilities, creating a unique and inspiring multi-sport environment for Para sports where the likes of Jonnie Peacock, Richard Whitehead, Libby Clegg and Sophi Hahn use Loughborough as a training base.
Paralympic NGB Performance Programmes currently operating at Loughborough include:
- Para-Athletics (British Athletics)
- Para-Triathlon (British Triathlon)
- Para-Powerlifting (British Weightlifting)
Para sport performance programmes
Loughborough University operates an integrated model whereby athletes with and without disabilities train alongside each other and benefit from integrated coaching and support services.
Performance programmes for Para Sports at Lough currently include:
British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) is the national governing body for Higher Education sport in the UK. BUCS competitions for Para sports currently include Para-Athletics, Para-Cycling and Para-Swimming so there are opportunities to compete for Loughborough University for athletes in these sports.
Support for Para athletes
Loughborough offers various scholarships that are open to Para athletes who show outstanding potential. Find out more about our scholarships.
In addition to the sport scholarship scheme, we also offer specific cash bursaries of £1,000 for Athletes with a Disability. Find out more on the undergraduate study website.
Performance support services
Para athletes at Loughborough can access a number of integrated performance support services including strength and conditioning, performance lifestyle, nutrition and physiotherapy. Find out more about our performance support services.