Coaching is an integral component of the Loughborough Sport environment and we offer a broad range of opportunities in a number of programmes.
Coaching is an integral component of Loughborough Sport, without our volunteer coaches Loughborough Sport would simply not run. Whether you are taking your first steps into coaching or want to expand on your prior experiences, the Coach & Volunteer Academy can help!
We offer a broad range of opportunities in a number of programmes for our students, including within our Athletic Union, recreational programmes and even support clubs and schools out in the community.
We aim to recruit, train and deploy a high quality workforce, providing the opportunity for students to gain internationally recognised qualifications in a number of different sports and seek to develop individuals to progress along the Coaching pathway.
Our Virtual Coaching Briefings
If you want to know more about Coaching, you can watch our 2020 virtual briefing by clicking the image below:
The Coaching Pathway: Where Can I Coach?
The Coach & Volunteer Academy supports all volunteer coaches across any programme within Loughborough Sport and beyond. We offer three unique pathways for our students to gain coaching experience, these are:
Performance & Development
The Performance & Development pathway supports all volunteers who coach within our Athletic Union clubs and Performance Programmes. Student coaches can gain experience right across the coaching pathway from supporting development team squads to leading 1st teams in our BUCS competitions or National leagues.
Recreation & Participation
Our Recreation & Participation pathway is a great stepping stone for new or existing coaches to build skills by working as a coach or activator within our competitive, but highly social, Hall sport programme (Inter Mural Sport) or our Recreational programme (My Lifestyle).
Schools & Community
This pathway provides the opportunity for our students to coach outside of the University, gaining valuable experience in either a school or community club environment. It provides excellent opportunities for those looking to work in any career involving young people, especially those looking at a future in PE teaching!
Support & Development
1 to 1 Support
Access to Mentoring
Why get involved?
- Access to internationally recognised industry qualifications such as FA Level 1 & 2 and RFU Rugby Level 2 Coaching qualifications.
- Access to in-house specific technical training and mentoring from Loughborough Sport staff, including our Director of Coaching.
- Access to masterclasses and CPD opportunity that are led and delivered by industry experts.
- Opportunity to network with industry professionals and leading industry organisations.
- An opportunity to develop employability skills through volunteering experiences and an employability programme.
- Free access to minimum operating standards such as Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), Safeguarding & Protecting Children and Emergency First Aid at Work
- Access to our new and exciting Recognition Package as well as subsidised Coach & Volunteer Academy kit on certain items.
Don’t just hear it from us!
Check out some of our Success Stories below to read about the experiences some of our volunteers have had, including the winner of the Coach of the Year award 2019/20; Ellie!
Ellie Threlkeld, Volunteer Cricket Coach
Volunteering for this role has made me improve my time management skills. However, the main skill I have gained through this experience is confidence; as a new coach I was a bit shy and struggled speaking up and leading a big group of people that are my own age.
How to get involved?
Any student studying on a Higher Education Course at Loughborough University or Loughborough College can get involved with our Coaching Strand.
To find out more on how to get involved in the Coach & Volunteer Academy, visit our “Get Involved” page.