Loughborough named world’s best sporting university
Loughborough has been named the best university in the world for sports-related subjects in the global 2019 QS higher education league table.
To lead one of the QS World University Rankings by Subject tables, a university must have outstanding – often unrivalled – regard among the global academic community. To stay top, it must continue maintaining standards while universities around it work hard to achieve precisely the same goals. It is therefore a testament to the outstanding work done by all at Loughborough University that it has maintained its world-leading position every year that we have produced the table.
Jack Moran, QS
Unrivalled sporting achievements
Our sporting prestige is a direct result of the combined passion and ambition of all those associated with sport at Loughborough. There’s an atmosphere of determination on campus and a will to succeed that pervades all our activities – our achievements reflect this.
- Unbeaten British Universities and Colleges Sport champions for 39 years running.
- We were named Sports University of the Year in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and 2014.
- Loughborough won the prestigious University of the Year for Sport title in honour of its unparalleled role in the triumph of the British Olympic and Paralympic teams at Rio 2016.
- Loughborough athletes won 30 medals at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- Over 80 students, graduates and Loughborough-linked athletes travelled to Rio to participate in both the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- In the Olympic competition we secured 12 medals, including 5 golds, and if Loughborough University was a country we would have finished 17th on the medal table.
- Loughborough coaches also played a key role in the Games, with alumni guiding Team GB, Canada and Fiji to gold medals.
- During the Paralympic competition Loughborough-linked athletes secured a further 22 medals, and if Loughborough was competing as a nation it would have finished 10th in the Paralympics medal table.
- At the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, 90 athletes with Loughborough connections competed, winning a total of thirteen medals.
- Over 400 performance student athletes are currently studying and training at the University.
- Highest level of student sport volunteering in the country’ and ‘Highest recorded levels of student participation in sport in the country.
- Awarded 5* for sports-related subjects – International QS Stars Scheme 2018.
Names you’ll know
From alumni to collaborative partners, and organisations that use campus as their HQ, Loughborough University is associated with a number of household names.
Some of the most celebrated names in sport have studied at Loughborough including: