Hosting Elite Sport at Loughborough University during the Covid-19 Pandemic
Loughborough University is a recognised Elite Training Centre with one of the largest concentrations of world-class sports facilities in the UK. We are fully compliant with Government regulations to host elite sport training camps and competitions.
Why choose Loughborough?
Loughborough is a unique, elite-level sports environment catering to the needs of multiple sports and National Governing Bodies. We have been nationally recognised by UK Sport and others for the work we have done to provide a safe environment for our athletes to continue to train throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have hosted multiple elite-level training camps and competitions where teams have benefited from our:
- Secure single-site campus environment
- World-class sports facilities
- Two world-leading gyms
- Performance support services used by Olympic and Paralympic athletes
- Three on-campus hotel solutions, including the Elite Athlete Centre with altitude bedrooms
- On-campus Covid testing centre includes both Lateral flow and PCR testing capacity for visiting guests with rapid turn around times
- An inspiring and vibrant elite athlete environment
Elite camps and events
Our campus is the ideal location to host your elite training camps or events. We create bespoke packages for our clients who benefit from our outstanding facilities and on-site accommodation. We can offer clients unique services and support utilising our performance support teams, altitude training and living, heat acclimation training and high-performance coaching. You will be supported on campus by our experienced teams who have worked with clients from across the world of sport.
- Training camps. We have hosted multiple teams on campus throughout the pandemic. Teams have benefitted from our outstanding training environment, innovative training opportunities from our multi-sport campus, performance nutrition and being part of a hub of elite coaching and development.
- Events. We have recently hosted national athletics, tennis, and netball events. Our flexible facilities allow us to support a broad range of competitions and sports and our dedicated events team provide our clients with focused support throughout their event.
- Altitude and heat training. Our Elite Athlete Centre and Hotel, centrally located on campus, has 20 altitude bedrooms. These can be set to maximum altitude equivalent of 5000m. Our physiology centre includes a heat and altitude training chamber to allow athletes to acclimate to these conditions. Where international travel may not be possible, we offer a unique alternative for your altitude and heat training needs.
- Speedlab. A new collaboration between Speedworks, headed up by world renowned speed coach Jonas Dodoo and Loughborough University, the world’s leading university for sport. This programme is specifically designed to build effective and efficient players and athletes, we will teach you the techniques necessary to maximise explosive strength, speed and robustness. This can be booked for day access or added as an element of your training camp. Find out more about Speedlab here
World-class sports facilities
Our campus is home to some of the UK's best multi-sport facilities, including:
- Two world-class gyms
- Loughborough University Stadium. Used by top tier football teams our pitch is a grass hybrid surface, the same used at the World Cup
- 6 high-level performance grass pitches
- 5 artificial pitches servicing the needs of Rugby, Football, Hockey, Lacrosse and American Football
- Olympic Swimming Pool. Home to a British Swimming National Centre and a British Triathlon Performance Centres
- Tennis Centre. Home to the LTA National Academy
- A range of sports halls suitable for multiple events and used for international televised competition
- Cricket Centre. Home to the National Cricket Performance Centre for the ECB
- Athletics Centre. Home to the British Athletics National Performance Centre
- Gymnastics centre
Changes to our facilities to keep them Covid secure
To ensure we provide a safe training environment at all our facilities we have implemented the following changes:
- Keep a safe distance. Our facilities have been rearranged to give everyone the space they need to train safely, new one way entry and exit points have been added to al our indoor facilities.
- Extensive and frequent cleaning. Our indoor facilities are cleaned using high-grade anti-viral disinfectant throughout the day.
- Hand sanitising stations. We've added additional hand sanitising stations across our facilities so it's easy to regularly clean your hands during your stay.
- Managed gym capacity. the Loughborough Sport app is central to booking gym sessions, this allows us to maintain controlled numbers in our gyms at all times.
We have three on-campus hotels, Burleigh Court, the Link and the Elite Athlete Centre and Hotel. Our hotels have remained open for essential workers and elite sport throughout the pandemic in line with Government regulations. The service levels will vary in line with the Government tier systems and regulations, however, some of the key changes are:
- Upon arrival, you will have a contactless check-in with your sanitised key card in a sealed envelope. You will be temperature checked upon entering the building and all payments will be cashless.
- Whilst we are in Tier 4-5 lockdown the restaurants will remain closed with meals ordered to your bedroom.
- You can request the bedrooms to be serviced during your stay, or if preferred staff can leave fresh linen and towels at the bedroom door.
How the University is Protecting Elite Teams and Athletes on Campus
Loughborough University is leading the way in supporting elite teams to continue training and competing during the Covid Pandemic. The University campus is one of six Elite UK Sports training centres in the UK. Home to seven National Governing Bodies, we work in close partnership to deliver a safe training environment for all athletes ahead of the Tokyo 2021 Olympics Games. We welcome elite sports teams to our campus, however, ask that you read the following guidance carefully to manage expectations, and to keep the community safe.
University Measures to Protect Against Covid-19 Outbreaks
- We strictly abide by Government rules on social distancing with clear signage to ensure a minimum of separation of two metres is maintained in all facilities.
- We operate a maximum capacity within our venue dictated by the size of the area, environmental conditions and type of activity.
- We have a strict track & trace policy in place at all venues and require all users to pre-book training slots
- During competitions, we will ensure that each team has a separate entrance, exit and changing areas (if permitted by the sports national governing body). You will be provided with a floor plan with illustrated pathways to include in your event risk assessment to deliver a Bio-Safe environment
- Where applicable, a dedicated booking manager will be identified throughout your stay to ensure there is a single point of contact for the group.
- We have enhanced our cleaning provision and operating to the highest hygiene standards as per Government cleaning guidelines prior to, during and after your visits.
- Our campus-wide policy requires face masks to be worn at all times within our facilities (except during Intensive exercise), and use of PPE including, aprons/ gloves when in contact with athletes.
- On-campus Covid tests both Lateral flow and PCR for visiting guests (additional cost on application) with rapid turn around times.
- Completion of a self-assessed Covid questionnaire with temperature checks
- Your team will be supported by a university Covid officer to ensure risk assessments are compliant and you are well prepared for returning to competition.
Our Expectations from Visiting Teams:
Whilst on our campus we expect your full cooperation to ensure training and competition are in line with Government policies and regulations. Our COVID team will support you through the booking, however, we ask that you prepare a robust risk assessment and training practices in advance.
Risk assessment and mitigation plan
- All teams must prepare and submit a Covid-19 risk assessment specific to our venues. This must be approved by our COVID manager prior to arrival.
- Each team must have a nominated Covid-19 officer.
- All athletes and staff must adhere to Government rules on social distancing whilst on campus and when traveling to, and from our campus to prevent the transmission of the virus.
- You are expected to agree and abide to facilities maximum capacity levels as advised by the university.
Cleaning and hygiene
- Visiting teams must discuss their cleaning requirements and expectations prior to visiting the campus so that arrangements can be prepared.
- Teams are expected to abide by Government advice on hygiene such as regularly washing and sanitising hands to prevent the spread of the virus. Hand sanitiser is widely available at all sports facilities on campus.
- Teams must adhere to their national governing bodies guidelines on sharing and sanitising equipment between usage.
- Teams must also adhere to each facilities cleaning rules such as cleaning weightlifting equipment before and after usage. Cleaning stations are widely available within all venues.
Personal protective equipment
- Face coverings are mandatory at all indoor facilities on campus. Athletes and coaches are to follow NGB guidelines on wearing masks during exercise.
- Coaches should wear all appropriate PPE as instructed by their NGB including gloves and plastic aprons.