But what about those items you have but no longer want or need? Well, instead of throwing them in the bin and letting them go to landfill, you can donate them to the University’s Give ‘n’ Go scheme instead.
Give ‘n’ Go is a sustainability initiative that gives students living in halls of residence the chance to give away their unwanted belongings and support a worthy cause.
We’ve teamed up with six charities and non-for-profit organisations – including Dogs Trust, Better World Books, and Shepshed Food Bank – who will all benefit from the donations received, as many of them have been impacted by the pandemic.
Nik Hunt, Environmental Manager at the University commented: “For Give ‘n’ Go, our aim is to repurpose and recycle as many items as possible that would otherwise end up in general waste and landfill. By taking part in the scheme, not only does your support have a positive impact on the environment, but you’ll also be helping vulnerable groups of people (and dogs!) in our local community.”
What can you donate?
- Non-perishable food - Unopened tinned or dried foods (such as soups, baked beans, pasta and rice) as well as food in unopened jars such as sauces.
- Frozen food* - Unopened frozen food items can be left in your freezer in your halls of residence, just let your hall manager know they are there and our team will come and collect them!
- Crockery and kitchen items – Eg plates, pans, utensils, Tupperware boxes, cutlery, mugs, and glassware. These must all be clean and in good condition.
- Clothing - Clothes and shoes for all ages and genders welcome.
- Coat hangers
- Books - All fiction (adult and children’s) and any textbooks.
- Stationary - Used and unused folders, notepads, pens, pencils etc.
- Bedding items - Used and unused pillows, duvets and throws (must be in good to excellent condition)
- Toiletries - Unopened bath and shower products, lotions, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and sanitary products.
- Electrical items - Working and broken electrical items such as tablets, keyboards, and headphones.
If you have something that is not listed above and you want to know whether it can be donated or recycled through the scheme, please email email@example.com and they’ll let you know.
Where and when can you donate?
They’ll be 14 donation stations set up across campus from 11 June – 12 July, which will be regularly checked and emptied to make sure there’s room for everyone’s donations. You can see a full list of the donation stations online.
When the donation stations close, the Sustainability Team and a group of volunteers will be working hard behind the scenes sorting and packing all the donations ready for distribution to our partner charities.
For more information about Give ‘n’ Go – visit the dedicated webpage here.
*Please note frozen food cannot be accepted in the Unite Halls (Harry French, The Holt and William Morris).