The University’s procedure for considering complaints is outlined under Ordinance XXXVIII (Student Complaints Procedures). A complaint is defined as: ‘the expression of a specific concern relating to matters or services provided by Loughborough University that affect the quality of a student’s learning opportunities or student experience.’

Before making a complaint

Before making a complaint please seek advice and support from the Student Advice and Support Service. You can also get independent advice from, and discuss your situation with, the Students’ Union before you make a complaint.

If you have concerns about a service provided by the University

If you have a concern about a matter or service provided by the University, you should normally raise it with the member of staff most closely involved at the earliest possible opportunity.

If the matter is not fixed, you should contact the Dean of your School or Head of the relevant support service to discuss it directly.

If you are still unhappy with the response you receive then you can submit a formal complaint by email to the Academic Registrar.

Concerns about your programme of study

If you have comments or concerns about your programme of study, we suggest you raise these through student feedback forms and your School staff/student committee.

Concerns about academic matters

If the issues concerned relate to an academic matter, such as decisions about your academic performance taken by Programme/Review Boards, or research degree examiners, you may need to submit an Academic Appeal, rather than a complaint.

Information about how to submit an academic appeal under Regulation XIV (Student Appeals against Programme Board or Review Board Decisions) for undergraduate and taught postgraduate students is linked below. Doctoral Researchers should consult Regulation XXVI (Research Degree Programmes).

Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA)

If you have completed the University’s internal complaints procedure, you may submit a complaint to the independent body set up to review student complaints. This is called the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA).