The group has worked collaboratively with colleagues from across the campus and has achieved a number of successful outcomes, some of which are listed below:
- Introducing some gender-neutral toilets into a number of new and refurbished buildings.
- Establishing the Lisa Vine support service for transgender students to access one to one support.
- Developing university guidance for the management of residential visits to the campus regarding accommodation arrangements.
- Including more gender-diverse imagery in prospectuses and ensuring that support is publicised more clearly for potential students.
- Amending the HR system so that preferred name and gender identity are recorded.
- Making changes to the staff and student records systems to record gender identity alongside legal sex, and to make better use of preferred name where this varies from legal name. Work to use Preferred Name across more systems is underway.
The group is really keen to hear from transgender and non-binary students and staff to understand what other changes could be made to improve their experience while working or studying here. Please complete this short questionnaire here to help us with our thinking.
If you would like to share your feedback more confidentially, please contact David Wilson, the Trans Rep for the University’s LGBT+ Staff Network. David will remove your name and other identifying information from messages before passing them to the working group.