The judges were looking for ‘a team who have performed over and above expectations in their work to enhance the student experience, or developed a commercial business at their institution’.
As part CUBO’s annual winter conference a virtual awards ceremony was held, where the University’s Catering Services team were acknowledged for their commitment to challenge the status quo, exceeding revenue targets and launching initiatives such as ‘all you can eat meals’, a service for the local community, and a detailed food safety audit.
The team were also recognised for their efforts in the following areas:
- Supporting sustainability: Removal of single-use disposables from dining halls
- Collaborative working: In recent years the team have worked closely with a range of Departments across the University to enhance services and increase promotion
- Strategic vision: Ensuring all services were aligned to improve the customer and student experience, as well as the overall University strategy; revenue targets surpassed from £8.04m to £10.3m.
- Innovation: Retail outlets have been modernised and aligned with high-street trends to surpass competitors, and the team has been able to deliver new and improved services without significant increase in costs.
- Empowerment: Supporting teams to ask questions and input into new ideas before pursuing, as well as utilising member’s skills and strengths.
Gagan Kapoor and Dan Brazill accepted the award on behalf of the team, and Gagan said: “It’s been an amazing four years and for me it’s all about the team. There’s a lot of people to thank as part of that team experience, and they are a credit to the University and our local community.”
A recording of the live stream of the awards ceremony is available to view here.