Current Students and Staff

// University News

Student vote

2 May 2017

Information for students about voting in forthcoming elections

Comprehensive information for students about registering to vote is available on the University’s electoral registration webpage.

Leicestershire County Council elections

Leicestershire County Council elections take place this week on Thursday 4 May. As a student, you are eligible to vote if you registered to vote locally. If you are not registered it is now too late to do so for this election.

Polling cards have been issued for this election. This card confirms you are registered to vote. It also tells you where your polling station is. You can only vote at the polling station on your card. You do not need your polling card to vote but it helps staff at the polling station so please take it along if you have it. 

Further information on the local elections taking place this week is available from Leicestershire County Council.

General Election 2017

The General Election will take place on Thursday 8 June. If you are not registered and want to vote in this election there is still time to do this. It is, however, too late for the University to do this for you and you must do this yourself. You have until 22 May to register to vote (5pm on 23 May for postal votes). You can register to vote online. You will need your National Insurance number to do this.

Further information

For any questions about voter registration contact Charnwood Borough Council. Telephone: 01509 634546.


It is your individual responsibility to check that you are registered to vote.