One in 10 UK companies have a menopause policy, and Loughborough is one of these progressive organisations. You can find the policy here.
Did you know?
- In the UK, 13 million women are currently going through menopause – that’s 1 in 3 women.
- 1 in 4 women state that their menopause symptoms affect the quality of their life.
- There are currently 34 recognised symptoms of menopause. The most frequently reported is hot flushes, which occur in 80% of symptomatic women.
- In the UK, 59% of working women between the ages of 45-55 who experience menopause symptoms say they have a negative impact at work. Of these symptomatic women, nearly two-thirds (65%) said they were less able to concentrate, more than half (58%) said they experience more stress, and more than half (52%) said they felt less patient with clients and colleagues.
- Overall, research indicates that 25% of women consider leaving their jobs because of the menopause, with an estimated 5% of symptomatic women quitting their jobs altogether. For those who continue to work, up to a third experience problems at work. As 4.3 million working women in the UK are currently at perimenopause or menopause, more than a million experienced and productive women, often at the peak of their careers, may leave the workplace or struggle to do their job.
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is the most effective treatment for menopause symptoms. However, getting HRT can be difficult with some GPs being reluctant to prescribe HRT, primarily due to lack of specialised training in menopause and also due to lack of current understanding of the risks and benefits of HRT in women aged 50-59 years. Our menopause support group can help you navigate this journey.
Join us and learn more:
- Dial into our next Menopause Café on June 22, 11am–1pm. You’ll hear from our resident experts, Professor Eef Hogervorst and Dr Emma O’Donnell on ‘myth-busting’, how to navigate the menopause and get the support you need from the medical profession and from the University, and how to self-care.
- Let People and Organisational Development know if you’d like one of our Loughborough-branded ‘Fans for Flushes’ (see image above) and we’ll mail it out to you.
- Watch the recent Channel 4 Davina McCall documentary on Sex, Myths and the Menopause.
- And coming soon: we’ll be making some fabulous resources available to you online, so be sure to watch this space.