Organised by Doctoral Researcher President, Nathan Ritchie, Tasha Kitcher, PhD Support & Social Network Vice-Chair and Josh Thompson, the event featured speakers Steve Rothberg, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research), Tymele Deydier, PhD Social and Support Network Chair and Ana-Maria Bilciu, Education Executive Officer. It was sponsored by the Doctoral College and food was provided by Olivia’s Café.
To ensure those who were unable to attend in person still received an award experience, there was an online digital reveal, which was hosted by Nathan Ritchie and Hugo Ritchie, featuring appearances from the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Robert Allison, Professor Rachel Thomson, the Pro Vice-Chancellor for Teaching, and Professor Liz Peel, Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor of the Doctoral College.
You can still watch the digital reveal here.
The winners of the PhD Awards 2021 are as follows:
- Supervisory Team of the Year (Staff): David Maidment and Eef Hogervorst
- Contribution to Researcher Development (Staff): Stacey Clemes
- Peter Beaman’s Unsung Hero Award (Staff): Berkeley Young
- Contribution to Knowledge: Tasha Kitcher
- Award for Community Engagement: Alix Lerebours
- Welfare and Diversity Champion: Demi Wilton
- Contribution to the Wider Community: Liam Baddeley
- Team of the Year: PhD Social and Support Network
- Overall Impact Award: Tymele Deydier
- President’s Award: Brett Friskney
Nathan Ritchie, Doctoral Researcher President said: “It was fantastic to deliver the PhD awards in-person this year as it has been a while since the PhD community has had a chance to dress up and see each other in the flesh. We also made sure those that were unable to attend had a digital experience of the awards.
“It may have been a difficult academic year for many, but our community has continued to show support for one another and has proven once again why we are such an invaluable part of this institution."
Image (from left): Ursula Davis (SBE Lead Rep), Brett Friskney (Presidents Award Winner and Wolfson Lead Rep), Tymele Deydier (SSN Chair, AACME Lead Rep and Outstanding Impact Winner), Nathan Ritchie (Doctoral Researcher President), Ana-Maria Bilciu (Education Executive Officer), Angelina Pan (DCA Rep).