Current Students and Staff

// University News

Purple banner with text saying 'Make sure you are registered to vote' alongside a group of student holding white signs above their head that spell out 'vote'

Students: Don’t forget to register to vote

By registering, you can ensure you’re eligible to take part in elections or referendums.

It only takes a few minutes to register; you’ll be asked to provide basic information such as your address and national insurance number, so make sure you have these to hand. 

Register online now.  

If you are eligible to vote and based on our Loughborough campus, you will soon receive an email from the Electoral Registration Office at Charnwood Borough Council. This is a legitimate email. Please respond to this email, even if you’ve already registered or you have decided that you do not wish to vote at your term-time address. 

Further information about registering and what voting you are able to participate in can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below: 

Q. I’m already registered at my home address, do I need to register again? 

As a student, you can register at both your term-time and home addresses (as long as they are in different council areas). To vote in the local elections in Charnwood, you will need to be registered at your term-time address. 

Q. Does this mean I can vote twice? 

You can't vote twice in a UK Parliamentary, Scottish Parliamentary, or National Assembly for Wales election (for example at your home address and term time address). Doing so is a criminal offence. 

However, you can vote in a local government election at both your home and term-time address if they are in different local government areas. 

Q. Can the University register me to vote? 

No. You are responsible for ensuring that you’re registered to vote. You can do so by completing the short online form.  

Q. When do I need to register to vote in the Charnwood local elections? 

The deadline for registering to vote in the next local elections across Charnwood on 4 May 2023, is April 17, 2023. 

Q. If a snap general election is called, where do I vote? 

If you are registered to vote at both your home and term-time address, you need to choose one address and vote only in that area for a general election. 

Q. How can I find out if I’m already registered to vote in Charnwood?  

If you are unsure whether you are already registered to vote in Charnwood, please contact Charnwood Borough Council’s electoral services team at  

Q.  How do I vote if I can’t make it to a polling station on polling day? 

You can apply for a postal vote or a proxy vote (when someone you trust votes on your behalf).  

If you have any other questions, please contact the Council’s electoral services team using the email above or by calling 01509 634546.