25 Nov 2015
Enter the Three Minute Thesis for your chance to win
Doctoral students are being encouraged to enter the first heat of the Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition for their chance to win Amazon vouchers and an iPad!
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition which challenges doctoral students to present a compelling oration on their thesis topic and its significance in just three minutes.
The competition is open to all PhD and EngD students, but to be eligible for the national final students must not have sat their viva before 22 June 2016. Three heats will be held for University research students in 2015/16, followed by a final at the Summer Showcase event in June.
The deadline to enter the first heat is Friday 27 November at 12pm.
To participate, students are required to submit a 300 word summary of their research and its potential impact on society/economy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Those chosen to present will be informed on the afternoon of Friday 27 November.
The first heat will take place on Friday 4 December at 12:30pm at Graduate House. The winner of each heat will receive a £20 amazon voucher and the overall Loughborough University winner will receive an iPad, with two runners up receiving £50 vouchers.
Rules of the competition:
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Students are welcomed to attend and support their peers.
Following the 3MT® competition, students are alsp invited to attend a Postgraduate Question Time, where they can pose questions to the University and SU.
For further questions, contact email@example.com.