Information for staff
Members of General Assembly are welcome to attend graduation ceremonies and form part of the academic procession. Invitations to the ceremonies are sent out in advance of the ceremonies.
July 2021 Ceremony Format
The graduation ceremonies will be held over two weeks in July 2021:
- Week 1: 19 to 23 July 2021 for students whose ceremonies would have been held in July or December 2020.
- Week 2: 26 to 30 July 2021 for students who completed/are due to complete their programme after 14 December 2020.
Two ceremonies will be held each morning at 9.55 and 11.35 and either two or three ceremonies will be held each afternoon at 13.30, 15.10 and 16.50. We enviasge that ceremonies will last in the region of 45 minutes. The allocation of ceremony dates and times by School and programme are given below. These documents show the programme codes for students invited to the ceremonies, not those who have confirmed their attendance.
Health and Safety
The safety of all staff, graduands and guests is important to us, and we have carefully considered where risks might arise and have implemented ways of protecting you. As a precaution, we will be asking all those who are planning to attend graduation to take a Covid-19 test before they come onto campus. Graduands and guests will also be reminded not to attend if they are experiencing any symptoms of Covid-19 or are currently having to self-isolate.
Staff attending graduation ceremonies should also have received a negative Covid test result within a 48 hour period prior to the ceremony. Book a test at the link below.
To make the ceremonies Covid secure, they will be held in a marquee in car park 5 which will have three open sides to ensure as much ventilation as possible. The numbers attending each ceremony will be strictly limited to allow effective social distancing and the length of the ceremony will be limited.
We will ensure that staff who are attending graduation events will be able to maintain social distancing as per government guidance.
Staff booking is now closed in order to meet gown hire deadlines. If you were intending to book a place but have not yet done so, please contact Caroline King directly to see whether this can be accommodated.
Academic Dress Hire
When booking your place, please confirm whether or not you require the University to hire your academic dress from Ede and Ravenscroft. If your details (award, institution, etc.) have changed since you last attended a graduation, or you have never attended a ceremony at the University as a member of staff, please contact Caroline King to confirm your requirements. Further guidance on academic dress is given below.
If you are a member of staff who is graduating, you will be seated within the student blocks and will need to have confirmed your place via the student booking process. Please hire your academic dress directly from Ede and Ravenscroft.
Guidance on Academic Dress
All staff intending to join the academic procession must wear academic dress. Staff should wear the gown and hood which represents the institution from which they graduated and the qualification obtained.
Staff who Own Academic Dress
- If you own your academic dress, you should wear this for the ceremony.
- Staff who wish to purchase new robes should write to Ede and Ravenscroft, Unit A, Denny Industrial Centre, Waterbeach, Cambridge, CB5 9QD - Telephone +44 (0)1223 861854.
Hiring Academic Dress
- Ede and Ravenscroft are the official robemakers for the University and will supply a wide range of academic dress to Loughborough University staff.
- The Graduation Office will order the gowns for you from Ede and Ravenscroft direct. All you need to do is complete the relevant parts of the Attendance Form to enable us to order the correct robes.
Collecting Your Gown
- Gowns can be collected on the morning of the ceremony from the Space, Bridgeman Building from 8.30am. All you need to do is give your name to the staff on duty in the robing room.
- Inside your robe will be a ticket with a name and reference number on it. THIS TICKET MUST NOT BE REMOVED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES as it will be needed to register the return of the robe after the ceremony. Please inform one of the Ede and Ravenscroft staff in the robing room if it becomes detached.
- Gowns should be returned to the robing room after the ceremony.
Note for Graduates of Non-UK/Irish Institutions
Ede and Ravenscroft are unable to provide robes for Institutions outside of the UK & Ireland. As an alternative they hold a small stock of miscellaneous un-adopted designs, or if you give a full description of your desired dress they will endeavour to supply a close match.
Note regarding University of London
Please state if you are a member of Convocation (this applies to all degrees other than PhD and Higher Doctorates). If no indication is given non-Convocation robes will be supplied.
On the Day
Staff robing will take place within the Space (Bridgeman Building). Please be robed and ready to form the procession outside the Bridgeman Building and proceed to the ceremony marquee at the following times.
In case of wet weather, the procession will form inside the Bridgeman foyer.
|Ceremony||Staff Robing||Procession Assembly|
|1 - 9.55||8.35 - 9.35||9.40|
|2 - 11.35||10.15 - 11.15||11.20|
|3 - 13.30||12.10 - 13.10||13.15|
|4 - 15.10||13.50 - 14.50||14.55|
|5 - 16.50||15.30 - 16.30||16.35|