Cisco Jabber service
Telephone changes 2023
Migration of Telephony Services to Microsoft Teams Voice
Throughout 2023 and 2024 IT Services will be migrating all University staff from the Cisco CallManager telephone system to Microsoft Teams. The Microsoft Teams platform is already in widespread use across the organisation and this change will integrate telephone functionality with the Teams software - supporting both internal and external calls.
Jabber is an instant messaging service and phone integration application that enables you to contact staff members at the University.
The Cisco Jabber software package is already installed on University Windows 10 computers and is ready for you to try and use. If you are able to use the chat feature, but not the telephone feature, please contact the IT Service Desk to get the telephone feature enabled for you.
- Integrates with your desk phone
- Enables you to use your laptop as a phone (softphone mode)
- Can be used when working from home to message/call people at the University
- Use it as an instant messaging service
- Links to your Outlook calendar to automatically update your presence status
- Automatically installed on Windows managed PCs, can be installed on non-managed machines
Cisco features overview
- If your PC / Mac is equipped with a suitable webcam and microphone, you are able to use Jabber to make voice and video calls without the use of a handset. It is recommended you use headphones and a microphone. Please contact IT Services to enable softphone mode. Calls will be charged to your department as usual
- Shows other users your status and if you are available to be contacted
Contact Lists and Contact Groups
- You can add other users to contact lists in Jabber to see their presence status to contact them quickly. Contacts can be grouped together as required
- Quickly send a message to one or more Jabber users at the University. You can also transfer documents
- Access your voicemail messages directly from Jabber
- Integration Jabber links to your Outlook calendar to automatically update your presence status if you are in a meeting
- The Caller ID will be displayed on your PC / Mac when your handset rings
Group Chats, Group Emails and Conference Calls
- Quickly start instant messaging chats or conference calls with a group of Jabber contacts by selecting the contact group
Using Jabber Off-Campus
- While working off-campus, you will still have access to Jabber to make calls as though you are using your desk phone, provided you have a suitable microphone. The services available will depend on the speed of the network. It is not necessary to connect to the University's VPN unless screen sharing and file transfer features are necessary
Cisco Jabber setup guides for personal devices and Telephone service.