How we use your data

How we use your data

The University collects and processes information about students for various teaching, research and administrative purposes, including council tax, and the health, safety and welfare of individuals.

You are given the opportunity to opt-in to various categories of processing on your registration form but you should consider the implications of deciding not to opt-in carefully (further information on how each category of data is processed is provided at the point of registration and will help you to make an informed decision).

Student confidentiality

All of your personal information, held by the University, will be treated strictly in terms of the UK GDPR & Data Protection Act 2018. This means that confidentiality will be respected and that all appropriate security measures will be taken to prevent unauthorised disclosure, or processing of your data.

There may be occasions where you might like us to discuss, or share your personal information with someone else (e.g., a parent, guardian, partner, or sponsor etc.), we will only ever do this once we are clear that we have your permission to do so (usually by asking you at the time). However, in very exceptional circumstances, we may decide it is necessary to contact someone in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person, for example if we have a serious concern for your welfare or personal safety, or that of others.

Personal information is used for stated purposes only and you will be advised of any changes. Details on how the University uses your personal data is provided on the Student Privacy Notice.

Some of the personal information processed by the University is classed as sensitive "special category" data under the UK GDPR (for example, racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, health information etc). Appropriate security will be in place to ensure that information (such as medical certificates) is retained confidentially and kept no longer than is necessary.

You are entitled to have access to and/or request a copy of the information held about you to ensure that it is accurate, up-to-date, and that it is being handled appropriately. You can do this by submitting a Subject Access Request.

Keeping your data up-to-date

The University does all it can to ensure that data remain accurate and up-to-date. However, it is important that you regularly check your details, via the Student Self-Service portal, and update them as and when necessary. You can also update any data usage preferences that you might have via the Self-Service portal.

Council tax

Each academic year the University shares a data extract with Charnwood Borough Council, detailing all full-time students as follows:

  • Taught students: within the first 6 weeks of each academic year
  • Research students: at the start of each month

If you receive a Council Tax bill within these periods, you should contact Charnwood Borough Council to advise them that you are a full-time student and that your status will be confirmed by the University as part of the process detailed above.

You will be included in the above data extract if you have registered for the current academic year and you have provided us with a term-time address. It is, therefore, very important that you ensure that term-time address is up to date on Student Self-service.

Other Councils

If you reside in an area that is not covered by Charnwood Borough Council, you will need to request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate. This letter confirms your status as a student and study dates and can be presented to the relevant Council as proof of your full-time student status. You can request a letter on the Student Enquiries site. Please note: We cannot issue a Council Tax Exemption Certificate until your registration is complete (including collecting your ID card.)

The rules are different if you live with someone who is not a full-time student – but your household could still get a discount. The Government’s Council Tax pages are a good place for further detailed information

What is the definition of a full-time student for Council Tax purposes?

For council tax purposes the definition of a full-time student includes people who are:

  • Enrolled for the purpose of attending a university or college course which lasts for at least one academic year, normally requires attendance of at least 24 weeks a year and involves on average at least 21 hours of study, tuition or work experience per week during term time; or
  • Under the age of 20 and studying for at least 12 hours per week on a course which lasts for more than three months for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard (correspondence courses, evening classes or courses taken in connection with a person's job, such as on day release, are not included).

You will count as a student throughout the duration of your Programme including any vacations and periods of non-attendance with leave of absence. If you are undertaking work experience as part of a sandwich course you will still be treated as a student provided the time spent on work experience does not exceed the time spent on study and tuition during the whole course.

If you need assistance with Council Tax exemptions, please contact the Student Advice and Support Service.

Student Advice and Support Service →

Statutory returns

The University has a statutory obligation to disclose personal information about you to the OfS, HESA and (in the case of further education and apprenticeship students) ESFA. For more detailed information on the information we disclose, please hit the link below.