How to connect my iOS (iPad/iPhone) device to eduroam
To complete the connection, you will be required to enter your Loughborough University Username and Password.
Important notice: iOS 15 (iCloud+ subscription)
From iOS 15 Apple are introducing iCloud Private Relay. This is an always on VPN that tunnels traffic out via Apple servers and is part of the iCloud+ subscription.
Devices using this service will be unable to access internal campus resources as the traffic will originate from external to the university. It also circumvents the protection we provide to protect campus users.
As such, we have decided to block this for on campus users. This means that any user with it enabled will get an alert saying that they need to either disable Private Relay for your network or choose another network.
Connecting to eduroam
Remove previous settings
If you have connected to eduroam before, but are having problems, this could be down to old profiles. To remove these settings:
- Old profiles can be found in Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management
- Click on the eduroam profile and select Remove
- Go to Settings
- Open Wi-Fi settings
- Select setup-wifi
Type in your Loughborough username and password and click Continue
AUP - Acceptable Use Policy
Read and Accept the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)
If you have previously connected to eduroam you can review your devices and delete certificates which are not in use
- If you are using an existing device, select the device name from the list and click Continue
- If this is a new device, select This is an additional device, enter a Name for the device or use the default (if one is provided) and click Continue
In the pop-up box click Allow to be redirected to your settings
Once connected, go back to General settings and select Profiles
Note: If on iOS 15 once connected go back to General settings and select VPN and Device Management
Select eduroam and click install and enter your device password and then click install again (top right hand corner)
Once profile is installed click Done > Go to Wi-Fi and select eduroam
Finally, Forget Setup-WiFi
Once connected to eduroam, it is worth forgetting the setup Wi-Fi network, this will ensure it does not try to connect to setup-Wi-Fi in the future
- Go to Settings>Wi-Fi
- Tap the (i) next to the Wi-Fi network that you want your device to forget.
- Tap Forget This Network, then tap Forget to confirm