International Student Support
Loughborough Careers Network was voted the best university careers service for international students in the 2017 International and UK Student Barometer – a survey of student views at 211 universities in the UK and overseas. Our skilled and experienced team are available to help you both explore your career options and apply for opportunities, whether in the UK or in another country.
Support for international students
Accessing advice and guidance from Careers Network can make you feel more confident with your career direction and more employable too. The Working Abroad page also has information about finding jobs in different countries, including where to find vacancies.
We are also part of a 'Midlands International Group,' where Career Representatives from 15 University Careers Services work together to support International Students. We work together to provide the best advice, events and resources possible to help you explore options, develop new ideas and access key information to help secure future roles. The Midlands International Group Website had lots of useful information about CVs, understanding Graduate options and visas, and much more.
Preparing for employment
The summaries below suggest how to best use your time at university to prepare you for future employment.
You can access these in the Related Documents section - on the right hand side or at the bottom of this page.
Working during your studies
Working part-time whilst at university is a great way to develop your skills and experience as well as developing confidence and cultural awareness. For advice on finding work see our guides below:
Our Find jobs and work experience page also has advice on finding work while you are a student.
Careers Online is the University’s own vacancy system. On this we advertise over 7000 graduate jobs, placements, internships, part-time work and voluntary roles a year; this includes vacancies from over 70 countries across a range of sectors.
*PLEASE NOTE - whilst we do our utmost to evaluate each role advertised via Careers Online please assess each opportunity carefully and consider whether or not your personal circumstances will be affected by taking up said opportunity. Whilst we have made every effort to check the roles advertised, we cannot always guarantee their authenticity*
Finding a graduate job outside the UK
As a Loughborough student, there are resources that can help you find opportunities in your home country, including Careers Online which has opportunities from many employers internationally. For more information, read the PDF below:
You can also attend Careers Events to develop your job-searching skills, including events specifically for international students. Our Working Abroad page also has resources to for finding a job outside the UK, including Going Global. (You will need to log in with your university details, making sure you are connected to the University Network, either on campus or via the VPN.)
Applying for graduate jobs in the UK
Understanding the job search ‘culture’ of a new country can take time. Please see the below PDFs for more information:
Visas for working in the UK
For information on rights to work during your studies and vacation times please refer to the Loughborough University Student Advice and Support Service webpage Working during your studies.
There are various visa options available for working in the UK after graduation. The UK Government website and UKCISA website provide more information on the different visa options:
- UKCISA(United Kingdom Council for International Student Affairs) – Working after studies
- UK Government work visas
Two of the popular options for students post gradation are the:
UKCISA have also put together a Webinar which explains who is eligible, how to apply, and what the new Graduate Route allows you to do.
This webinar recording for students will provide you with some questions and answers on the new Graduate Route.
The Student Advice and Support Service also ran a Graduate Visa webinar for current Loughborough University students – January 2022. This will also provide you with some further advice on the Graduate Visa Route.
Tips for job applications
- Apply from the UK and start early in your studies. Don’t wait until you have completed your studies before beginning job hunting. Many finance companies have November and December deadlines, while many small and medium-sized companies (SMEs) often recruit when a role is required, so keep checking relevant websites.
- Be aware of lengthy, multi-staged application processes for UK graduate schemes. Some employers have deadlines for non-EEA applicants to allow time to apply for visas.
- Familiarise yourself with employers on the UKVI Register of Sponsors. They are used to employing non- EEA students. This will give you the best chance and the easiest route to employment with a company in the UK. Often, they are large employers or employers requiring key skills; Engineering, Accountancy, IT, Finance, Banking etc.
- Employers invited to Loughborough University Graduate and Placement Fairs are asked if they employ international students, or if they are on the UKVI Register of Sponsors. Please refer to the fair brochures on the Attend Events section of the Careers Network website.
- Employers will issue a Certificate of Sponsorship which will enable you to apply for your Skilled Worker route, switching from a Tier 4 Student Visa. If accepted, this visa will give you ‘leave to remain’ in the UK for the period of your Skilled Worker Visa.
For advice relating to your individual circumstances we recommend that you contact:
- Student Advice and Support Service - for support with student visa enquiries, including post-doctoral extensions and general immigration advice.
- Loughborough Enterprise Network - for Tier 1/Start Up visa enquiries and advice on self employment.
- Careers Network - for any careers related matter and advice on employment in the UK during your studies.
- United Kingdom Council for International Student Affairs - for advice, guidance and information about all aspects of the international student experience.
Starting your business in the UK
Have an innovative business idea that you want to establish in the UK?
The Loughborough Enterprise Network (LEN) can help you! Follow this link to find a brief guide to the Start-Up Visa endorsement from Loughborough University: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/students/len/visa/