Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Living in the UK

Working in the UK during your studies

Whether you are allowed to work in the UK while here as a student will depend on your visa restrictions. Most students on a tier 4 visa are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. However, you need to check your visa to make sure yours says this. All EU students are allowed to work in the UK.

When taking a job you need to consider the number of hours you will be working and whether this is going to be feasible combined with your studies. Working too many hours per week in term time can be detrimental to your studies.

If you are having a problem on your placement or need to discuss any concerns you are having, we strongly encourage you to contact the Placement team. You should do this as soon as you can and definitely before resigning or taking any action.

Please see here for further information about Tier 4 Students' Work Entitlements.

If you are planning to work for the University while you are on a Tier 4 visa, further guidance is available on the HR website.

The UKCISA website has more information for you.

 Rights and responsibilities in employment  Tax and National Insurance for international/EU students