Explore career options
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the team.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Able to analyse and interpret data
- Able to evaluate designs, processes and products, and make improvements
- Attention to detail, exercising good judgement and accepting responsibility;
- Awareness of the importance of human factors
- Commercial awareness
- Communication with others and work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Creative and innovative problem solving
- Knowledge of design and manufacture of sports equipment
- Numerate and highly computer literate
- Planning and prioritising work to deadlines and under pressure;
- Professionalism and customer focus
- Understanding of marketing for the sports equipment sector
Career areas related to the Sports Technology course:
- Design Engineer
- Product Manager
- Sports Equipment Designer
- Sports Science Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Technology Engineer
- Test engineer
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Corporate Investment Banker
- Events Manager
- Marketing Executive
- Patent Attorney
- Technical Sales Engineer
- Remember that 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines
Options for engineers from the Wolfson School are varied and plentiful. The majority begin careers in discipline related engineering roles within medium to large companies. However, some graduates use the personal rather than technical skills that they have developed to enter alternative professions such as business, finance, consultancy and teaching.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Wolfson School offers postgraduate research opportunities including PhD and some MPhil degrees
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate taught programmes:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Mechanical and Manufacturing courses in the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Main activity: 95% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £26,988 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry locations (professional level roles): 16% stayed in the East Midlands, 18% in the South East, 16% in London, 16% in the West Midlands, 13% in the East of England, 10% in the South West, 5% in the North West, 3% in Yorkshire & the Humber, 2% in Scotland and 2% in Wales.
- Industry sectors (professional level roles): 46% were in manufacturing, 20% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 9% were in wholesale and retail trade; repair of vehicle and motorcycles, 7% were in information and communication, 5% were in public administration and defence; compulsory social security, 2% were in construction, 2% were in financial and insurance activities, 2% were in arts, entertainment and recreation, 2% were in electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply, 1% were in administrative and support service activities, 1% were in agriculture, forestry and fishing, 1% were in education, 1% were in mining and quarrying, 1% were in other service activities, 1% were in transport and storage
adidas, BMT Defence Services, Betterlogic, Brakes, Chilli Apparel, Deloitte LLP, Gymshark, Hawk Eye Innovations, Jaguar Land Rover, LaboSports, PUMA, Your Golf Travel.
Account Handler, Analyst, Business Analyst, Future Product Coordinator, Innovation Engineer, Innovation Executive, Junior Developer Teamsport Footwear, Product Designer/Developer, Product Developer, Product Executive, Programme Attribute Leader, Site Test Engineer, Sports Betting Analyst, Systems Operator.
Further Study included:
CAA Pilot Licence, PhD Sports Technology.
- View Graduate Profiles from this department
Resources to research career areas
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links:
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Institute of Sports Technology
- Institution of Engineering Designers
- Institution of Engineering Technology
- International Sports Engineering Association
Sector and labour market information (LMI):