Explore career options
Electrical, Electronic and Systems Engineering
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the team.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Computer programming
- Practical, environmental and business awareness
- Problem solving
- Professional competence
- Project management
- Team working
- Time management
Career areas related to the Electrical Electronic and Systems Engineering courses include:
- Aerospace Engineer
- Applications Developer
- Broadcast Engineer
- Control and Instrumentation Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Electronics Engineer
- IT Consultant
- Network Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Software Tester
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Remember 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines.
Career prospects of EESE graduates are excellent; there is no part of the modern world where electronic, electrical and systems engineering do not play a part. You may choose to follow a career in a technology company, or a specific industry sector, such as healthcare, government and public services, finance and banking, transport or construction as well as education, research, leisure, media or sport – the difficult part may be deciding where to let your degree take you.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manfacturing Engineering offer a range of postgraduate taught masters programmes across three key challenges of Communications Energy and Systems.
The School welcomes enquiries about postgraduate research opportunities including MPhil and PhD degrees.
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate Taught programmes:
Professional development websites:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Electrical, Electronic and Systems Engineering graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Electrical, Electronic and Systems Engineering courses in the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Main activity: 90% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £26,740 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry locations (professional level roles): 8% stayed in the East Midlands, 22% in the East of England, 22% in the South East, 16% in the West Midlands, 14% in London, 11% in the South West, 8% in the North West.
- Industry sectors (professional level roles): 43% were in manufacturing, 22% were in public administration and defence; compulsory social security, 11% were in information and communication, 8% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 5% were in electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply, 3% were in financial and insurance activities, 3% were in other service activities, 3% were in transport and storage, 3% were in wholesale and retail trade; repair of vehicle and motorcycles.
AECOM, Airspan Communications Ltd, BAE Systems, British Army, GSK, Lockheed Martin, Micron Design, Ministry of Defence, National Grid, Royal Navy, SHEco Renewable Systems Ltd, Simulation Solutions, Thales, ZF.
Duty Analyst, Electrical Engineer, Electronic Engineer, Embedded Software Engineer, Graduate Control Systems Engineer, Graduate Hardware Engineer, IT Graduate, Research Engineer, Systems Architect, Weapon Engineering Officer, Civil Servant, Tax Consultant.
Further Study included:
MSc Renewable Energy, MSc Energy and Power, MSc Telecommunications with Business, MSc Design Innovation Management, PGCE, PhD Autonomous UAVs for Marine Mammal Monitoring, PhD Manufacturing, PhD Robotics.
- View Graduate Profiles from this department
Resources to research career areas
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links:
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Energy Institute
- The Institute of Engineering and Technology
- The Engineering Council
- Renewable Energy Association
- Renewable UK
Sector and labour market information (LMI):
- Engineering and Technology Magazine
- Faces of Wind Energy
- IET Factfiles
- IET newsletters: Built Environment, Design and Production, Energy, Information and Communications, Transport
- The Engineer
- The Student Engineer