Explore career options
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the teams.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Able to analyse and interpret data
- Able to evaluate designs, processes and products, and make improvements
- Attention to detail, exercising good judgement and accepting responsibility
- Business organisation and human resource management
- Communication with others and work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Cost-conscious and aware of the wider professional responsibilities
- Creative and innovative problem solving
- Knowledge of manufacturing technologies and processes
- Numerate and highly computer literate
- Planning and prioritising work to deadlines and under pressure
- Understanding of technology management
Career areas related to the Manufacturing Engineering courses:
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Production Manager
- Automotive engineer
- Contracting Civil Engineer
- Control and Instrumentation Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Corporate Investment Banker
- Mining Engineer
- Patent Attorney
- Production Manager
- Technical Sales Engineer
- Water Engineer
- Remember that 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines
Options for engineers from the Wolfson School are varied and plentiful. The majority begin careers in discipline related engineering roles within medium to large companies. However, some graduates use the personal rather than technical skills that they have developed to enter alternative professions such as business, finance, consultancy and teaching.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Wolfson School offers postgraduate taught programmes including:
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and Management MSc
- Engineering Design MSc
- Mechanical Engineering MSc
The Wolfson School offers postgraduate research opportunities including PhD and some MPhil degrees.
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate taught programmes:
Professional development websites:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering graduates do?
Graduates from this subject area have gone on to destinations where:
BP, Cambridge Medical Robotics, Caterpillar, Cummins, Dyson Ltd, Jaguar Land Rover, Martin-Baker Aircraft Company, McLaren Automotive, Renishaw, Ricardo, Rolls-Royce, Royal Navy, Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd, Transport for London, Triumph Motorcycles, Hitachi Consulting, JP Morgan.
Design Engineer, Manufacturing Systems and Process Engineer, Marine Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Engineering Building Services Consultant, Packaging Engineer, Project Engineer, Robotics Software Engineer, Technical Design Engineer, Tooling Engineer Powertrain Manufacturing, Web Developer, Project Analyst, Technology Consultant-Analyst, Financial Analyst.
Further Study included:
MBA Business, MSc Engineering Design, MSc Engineering with Finance, MSc Mechanical Engineering, MSc Renewable Energy Systems Technology, MRes Medical Device Design & Entrepreneurship, PhD Embedded Intelligence, PhD Sports Technology.
For more information on companies graduates work for, industry links and career opportunities, visit the subject area page of the University website. You can also find out what our students say in our student stories of personal journeys through and beyond Loughborough and track the career journeys and Loughborough experiences of some of our alumni.
Resources to research career areas
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links:
- IET Engineering and Technology Jobs
- Prospects: jobs search
- The Engineer jobs
- Just Engineers
- Target jobs
- The Year in Industry
- Engineering Jobs
- Student Ladder
- STEM Women
- "How to get noticed and land that dream product design job" article with design portfolio advice