Explore career options
School of Science
Slides from our 2018 Graduate Entry Medicine presentation can be found on our Learn module.
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Sally can support you with:
- Using careers guidance to help you to explore your career options during 30 minute careers consultations.
- Answering quick queries during 15 minute Quick Advice careers appointments.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a consultation.
- My Loughborough Journey presentations and workshops within departments.
- Workshops on topics such as CVs and interview techniques.
Sophie Flight, Employability Development Officer
Based in the Bridgeman building, Sophie can support you with:
- Applying for jobs – CVs, cover letters and other applications.
- Helping you find opportunities, including internships and placements.
- Interview support
She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments at The Place that you can book on Careers Online.
Based in The Place in Stewart Mason, Rakhee can support you with:
• Finding, applying and setting up placements within your department. You can email Rakhee on Scifirstname.lastname@example.org .
Dr Karima Khusnutdinova, Placement Tutor
Based in the David Davies Building, Karima can help you with:
Key skills developed during your degree
- Advanced IT skills through the use of computer applications.
- An ability to present mathematical arguments and draw conclusions.
- An analytical approach to problem solving and the ability to formulate theories and apply them appropriately.
- High level numeracy skills and the ability to handle and analyse large quantities of data.
- Logical, clear thinking.
Careers directly related to Mathematics:
- Business Analyst
- Operational Researcher
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Civil Service
- Management consultancy
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Department of Mathematical Sciences attracts staff and students from all over the world, making it a diverse and stimulating environment in which to study. Active in high quality research across the broad spectrum of mathematics, the Department has an international reputation, with four fifths of research rated internationally-leading (or better) in REF 2014.
The Department undertakes research in both pure and applied mathematics and is located in the newly-refurbished Schofield Building. It consists of around 35 members of staff and 50 PhD students from all over the world.
For more information please visit the Department of Mathematical Sciences Postgraduate study page
Further study elsewhere:
Popular areas of further study:
This is according to Loughborough University’s most recent 2017 DLHE Statistics:
- MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering
- PGCE Maths
- MA Maths
- MSc Statistics
- MSc Industrial Mathematical Modelling
- MSc Business Analytics
- Actuarial Associateship Exams
- PhD Applied Mathematics
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Mathematics graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
- Main activity: 86.8% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only)
- Mean salary: £25,710 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only)
- Location: 26% were working in London, 19% were in the East of England, 14% were in the South East, 10% were in the East Midlands, 10% were in the West Midlands, 7% were in the South West, 7% were in Yorkshire & the Humber, 5% were in the North West, and 2% were in England (region unknown).
- Sectors: 31% were working in Financial and insurance activities, 19% were in Professional, scientific and technical activities, 14% were in Information and communication, 12% were in Education, and 7% were in Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles.
Acturis, Bet Digital, Hawk Eye Innovations, KPMG, Kubrick Group (Client: The Guardian), Mercedes Benz, Morgan Stanley, NHS, Silicon Valley Bank, The Access Group, Tyler Capital.
Assistant Management Accountant, Associate Banker, Bespoke Master Data Manager, Data Analyst, Financial Analyst, Graduate Financial Analyst, Junior Mathematician, Junior Trading Analyst, Operations Engineer, System Operator, Technical Analyst, Trainee Actuary.
Further Study included:
Certificate in Education (Secondary), MA Mathematics, Maths PGCE, MSc Banking and Finance, MSc Business Analytics, MSc Industrial Mathematical Modelling, MSc Mathematical Finance, MSc in Mathematics Education, MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering, MSc Sports Biomechanics, MSc Statistics (Financial Statistics), PhD Mathematics.
Resources to research career areas:
- Dolan Accountancy: How to become an accountant
- Learn About O.R.
- Maths Careers profiles
- Plus Magazine
- Prospects: What can I do with my degree
- Top Universities, What can you do with a Mathematics degree?
- The Science Council - Working towards becoming a Registered Scientist
- IMA - Real Life Applications of Maths
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further. We will deliver talks in your department and offer one-to-one appointments to help you with the recruitment process for this. You will also receive regular “Science: Your Careers Update” emails from Claire. These will include graduate jobs, internships, placements, work experience and upcoming events tailored to your school.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- Careers Online - Our website for vacancies and opportunities and internally through your department.
- Year In Industry – This organisation can help match you to industrial placements. It's free to use for our students.
- Gradcracker - Search for internships, placements and graduate opportunities.
- TargetJobs - Browse opportunities, career sectors, internships and careers advice.
- Prospects - Search for graduate jobs.
- STEM Graduates - Search for STEM specific graduate jobs.
- Ask in your department.
Maths specific websites: