Explore career options
School of Science
Slides from our 2019 Graduate Entry Medicine presentation can be found on our Learn module.
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Sally can support you with:
- Using careers guidance to help you to explore your career options during 30 minute careers consultations.
- Answering quick queries during 15 minute Quick Advice careers appointments.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a consultation.
- My Loughborough Journey presentations and workshops within departments.
- Workshops on topics such as CVs and interview techniques
Based in the Bridgeman building, Sophie can support you with:
- Applying for jobs – CVs, cover letters and other applications.
- Helping you find opportunities, including internships and placements.
- Interview support
She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments at The Place that you can book on Careers Online.
Based in The Place in Stewart Mason, Rakhee can support you with:
• Finding, applying and setting up placements within your department. You can email Rakhee on Sciemail@example.com .
Niladri Banerjee, Physics Part B Tutor
Based in the David Davies Building, Niladri can help you with:
Key skills developed during your degree
- Analytical – the ability to understand complex concepts, to interpret data and construct logical arguments
- Communication – the ability to communicate complex information effectively
- IT skills – including familiarity with appropriate software such as programming languages and packages.
- Practical skills – such as planning, experimenting and reporting, using technical equipment and paying attention to detail
- Problem solving – with a pragmatic and analytical approach
Careers directly related to Physics:
- Higher Education Lecturer
- Research Scientist
- Science Communicator
- Sound Engineer
Careers where your degree would be useful:
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Department of Physics provides an academically stimulating and supportive environment for postgraduate taught and research students. The department's research strengths are in the areas of condensed matter and materials, with a good balance between theory and experiment. Their research has a flexible network structure with four main areas, each with a wide range of national and international collaborations. The quality of our researchers is recognised internationally and are published in highly ranked physics journals.
For more information please visit the Department of Physics Postgraduate study page
Further study elsewhere:
Popular areas of further study:
This is according to Loughborough University’s most recent 2017 DLHE Statistics:
- Renewable Energy Systems Technology
- MSc Data Science
- MSc Space Risk and Disaster Reduction
- MSc Finance
- MSc Cyber Security
- PGCE Mathematics
- PhD Physics
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Physics graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
- Main activity: 88.9% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only)
- Mean salary: £26,239 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only)
- Sectors: 27% were working in Information and communication, 23% were in Manufacturing, 14% were in Public administration and defence; compulsory social security, 9% were in Professional, scientific and technical activities, and 5% were in Arts, entertainment and recreation.
- Location: 23% were working in London, 23% were in the South East, 18% were in the East Midlands, 14% were in the West Midlands, 9% were in the South West, 5% were in the North West, 5% were in the Scotland, and 5% were in Yorkshire & the Humber.
Atkins, Atomic Weapons Establishment, Broadridge, CGI Group, DSTL, Ebury Partners, Hawk Eye Innovation, Home Office, ION Trading, L'Oreal, Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC), Martin-Baker Aircraft Company, Mojo Limited, Rolls- Royce.
Automation Engineer, Foreign Exchange Broker, Graduate Research Engineer, Master Data Manager, Nuclear Graduate, Programme Developer, Research Scientist, Software Developer, Systems Engineer, Systems Manager, Technical Analyst, Technology Consultant, Trainee Health Physicist.
Further Study included:
CDT Diamond Science & Technology, Investment and Financial Management, MSc Cyber Security, MSc Human and Applied Physiology, MSc Space Risk & Disaster Reduction, PGCE Secondary Science Education, PhD Physics, PhD Remote Sensing, Renewable Energy Systems Technology.
Resources to research career areas
- Physics World
- IOP, your future with Physics
- The Science Council - Working towards becoming a Registered Scientist
- What is a Patent Attorney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35huJlkxZPE&feature=youtu.be
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further. We will deliver talks in your department and offer one-to-one appointments to help you with the recruitment process for this. You will also receive regular “Science: Your Careers Update” emails from Claire. These will include graduate jobs, internships, placements, work experience and upcoming events tailored to your school.
We have recently produced a PDF containing links to useful websites to help you search for careers related to your degree. Click below to access the document:
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- Careers Online - Our website for vacancies and opportunities and internally through your department.
- Year In Industry – This organisation can help match you to industrial placements. It's free to use for our students.
- Gradcracker - Search for internships, placements and graduate opportunities.
- TargetJobs - Browse opportunities, career sectors, internships and careers advice.
- Prospects - Search for graduate jobs.
- STEM Graduates - Search for STEM specific graduate jobs.
- Ask in your department.
Physics Specific Websites:
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
Sector and labour market information: