Explore career options
School of Science
Slides from our 2019 Graduate Entry Medicine presentation can be found on our Learn module.
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Sally can support you with:
- Using careers guidance to help you to explore your career options during 30 minute careers consultations.
- Answering quick queries during 15 minute Quick Advice careers appointments.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a consultation.
- My Loughborough Journey presentations and workshops within departments.
- Workshops on topics such as CVs and interview techniques.
Sophie Flight, Employability Development Officer
Based in the Bridgeman building, Sophie can support you with:
- Applying for jobs – CVs, cover letters and other applications.
- Helping you find opportunities, including internships and placements.
- Interview support
She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments at The Place that you can book on Careers Online.
Based in The Place in Stewart Mason, Rakhee can support you with:
• Finding, applying and setting up placements within your department. You can email Rakhee on Scifirstname.lastname@example.org .
Dr Christian Dawson, Placement Tutor, and Judith Poulton, Placement Administrator
Based in the David Davies Building, Christian and Judith can help you with:
Key skills developed during your degree
- Leadership and communication
- Problem solving
- Project management
- Technology practice
Careers directly related to Computer Science:
- Applications Developer
- Games Developer
- Information Systems Manager
- IT Consultant
- IT Technical Support Officer
- Multimedia Programmer
- Network Engineer
- Secondary School Teacher
- Software Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Web Developer
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Business Analyst
- IT sales consultant
- IT trainer
- Project Manager
- Technical Author
Further study at Loughborough University:
Committed to providing the best teaching and learning environment, students within the Department of Computer Science benefit not only from excellent facilities and world-class cutting edge research carried out by staff, but from our enviable international industry links. Our Industry Liaison Committee represents leading UK and international companies, providing regular input to curriculum development, career advice to students and additional teaching resources.
For more information please visit the Department of Computer Science Postgraduate study page
Further study elsewhere:
Popular areas of Further Study:
This is according to Loughborough University’s most recent 2017 DLHE Statistics:
- MSc Advanced Computer Science
- MA Business Psychology
- Sound Engineering
- MSc Internet Computing and Network Security
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Computer Science graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Computer Science
- Main activity: 94.5% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only)
- Mean salary: £29,953 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only)
- Sectors: 48% were working in Information and communication, 12% were in Financial and insurance activities, 12% were in Manufacturing, 6% were in Professional, scientific and technical activities, and 5% were in Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles.
- Location: 41% were working in London, 18% were in the South East, 12% were in the East of England, 9% were in the West Midlands, 8% were in the East Midlands, 4% were in the North West, 4% were in Yorkshire & the Humber, 3% were in Wales, and 1% were in the South West.
Arm LTD, ASOS, Atos, BAE Systems, BBC, GSK, IBM, Llamasoft, Ministry of Defence, Network Rail, PA Consulting, Severn Trent Water, Thales Group.
Cyber Security Analyst, Digital Marketing Executive, Graduate Bid and Project Manager, Insurance Underwriting Associate, IT Consultant, Learning & Development Coordinator, Management Consultant, Operations Analyst, Project Manager in Cyber Security, R&D Software Engineer, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Trainee Finance Adviser, Web Designer.
Further Study included:
Artificial Intelligence, MA Business Psychology, MSc Advanced Computer Science, MSc Advanced Computer Science, MSc Business Analytics, MSc Business Psychology, MSc Finance and Management, MSc Internet Computing and Network Security, Multi Engine Commercial Pilots Licence MCPL, PGCE – SCITT, PhD in Computer Science, Sound Engineering.
Resources to research career areas
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further. We will deliver talks in your department and offer one-to-one appointments to help you with the recruitment process for this. You will also receive regular “Science: Your Careers Update” emails from Claire. These will include graduate jobs, internships, placements, work experience and upcoming events tailored to your school.
We have recently produced a PDF containing links to useful websites to help you search for careers related to your degree. Click below to access the document:
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- Careers Online - Our website for vacancies and opportunities and internally through your department.
- Year In Industry – This organisation can help match you to industrial placements. It's free to use for our students.
- Gradcracker - Search for internships, placements and graduate opportunities.
- TargetJobs - Browse opportunities, career sectors, internships and careers advice.
- Prospects - Search for graduate jobs.
- STEM Graduates - Search for STEM specific graduate jobs.
- Ask in your department.
Computer Science specific websites: