Explore career options
School of Aeronautical and Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering (AACME)
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Ruth and Joss can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities. They offer Quick Advice careers appointments, both in Bridgeman Building and within the engineering departments that you can book via Careers Online. (You may be seen by one of our other Careers Consultants.)
- Exploring your career options with a 30 minute Careers Consultation.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a consultation.
- Presentations and workshops within departments.
- Workshops on topics such as CVs and interview techniques, and assessment centres.
Based in the Bridgeman building, Tracy can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities, and developing your skills and employability. She has bookable Quick Advice appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within the engineering departments that you can book via Careers Online.
- Meet her at talks, workshops, drop-ins and careers events.
For more information on placements in your department, please contact the following staff:
- DIS Administrator Malcom Newbitt M.Newbitt@lboro.ac.uk
- DIS Co-ordinator Dr Sina Saremi-Yarahmadi S.Saremi@lboro.ac.uk
Further information can be found on your department Learn placement page here
Key skills developed during your degree
- A high standard of numeracy
- Commercial awareness and business skills.
- Creative and innovative problem solving.
- IT competency and computer-modelling experience
- Research and report-writing skills
- The ability to analyse and interpret data.
- The ability to evaluate designs, processes and products, and make improvements.
- The capability to work in multi-strength teams.
- Time management, planning and organisational skills
Careers directly related to your degree:
- Design Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Product Engineer
- Product/Process Development Scientist
- Research Scientist (physical sciences)
- Technical Sales Engineer
Careers where degree would be useful:
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Department of Materials Engineering offers two postgraduate taught masters programmes.
There are various postgraduate research opportunities from funded PhDs within Materials Engineering to study within the several doctoral training centres with which AACME is partnered.
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate taught programmes:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Materials Engineering graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Materials Engineering
- Main activity: 98% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £26,539 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry locations (professional level roles): 12% stayed in the East Midlands, 26% were in London, 21% were in the West Midlands, 15% were in the South East, 9% were in the South West, 9% were in Yorkshire & the Humber, 6% were in the North West, and 3% were in Wales.
- Industry sectors (professional level roles): 43% were in manufacturing, 26% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 9% were in information and communication, 6% were in electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply, 3% were in administrative and support service activities, 3% were in construction, 3% were in education, 3% were in public administration and defence; compulsory social security, 3% were in real estate activities, and 3% were in wholesale and retail, repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles.
Airbus, Atkins, BAE Systems, Bentley Motors Ltd, Cadent Gas, E.ON, Fibre Extrusion Technology Ltd, IBM, Intertek, National Composites Centre, Parker Hannifin, Pirelli Tyres, QinetiQ, Renishaw, Sky.
Design Engineer, Materials Engineer, Process Engineer, Product Design Engineer, Quality and Materials Engineer, Research and Development Project Manager, R&D Engineering Materials Testing and Characterisation, Research Engineer, Technologist, Technology Consultant, Transport Technology Consultant, Finance Analyst.
Further Study included:
MSc Additive Manufacturing, MSc Materials Science and Technology, MSc Medical Engineering Design, MSc Renewable Energy, MSc Renewable Energy Systems Technology, MSc (RES) Additive Manufacturing and Advanced Manufacturing Technologies, PhD Engineering, PhD in Materials Science.
Resources to research career areas
- National Careers Service
- Prospects: manufacturing sector overview
- Prospects: options with a materials science degree
- TargetJobs: materials and metals sector overview
- TargetJobs: materials science job description
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- Biomedical Engineering News from the ImechE
- Careers in Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineer profile from the IPEM
- NHS STP Training Programme
- Medical Engineering profile from NHS Careers
- NHS Careers in Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering
- NHS Careers in Physical Sciences and Biomedical Engineering
- Getting Started in Careers in Physics and Engineering in Medicine
- Engineering in Healthcare
- Careers in Bioengineering US article
- Careers In Biomaterials Science US article
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links:
- IET Jobs in Engineering and Technology
- Prospects: jobs search
- The Engineer jobs
- Just Engineers
- Target jobs
- The Year in Industry
- Engineering Jobs
- Student Ladder
- STEM Women
- Remap disability equipment organisation
- Hospital Open Days for STP Training
- emedcareers Pharmaceutical, Medical, Biotech & Healthcare jobs
- New Scientist jobs
- NHS Jobs
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Engineering Council
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- The Biomedical Engineering Association
- The Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine
- European Society for Biomaterials
- Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society
Sector and labour market information (LMI):