Explore career options
School of Aeronautical and Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering (AACME)
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Ruth and Joss can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities. They offer Quick Advice careers appointments, both in Bridgeman Building and within the engineering departments that you can book via Careers Online. (You may be seen by one of our other Careers Consultants.)
- Exploring your career options with a 30 minute Careers Consultation.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a consultation.
- Presentations and workshops within departments.
- Workshops on topics such as CVs and interview techniques, and assessment centres.
Based in the Bridgeman building, Tracy can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities, and developing your skills and employability. She has bookable Quick Advice appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within the engineering departments that you can book via Careers Online.
- Meet her at talks, workshops, drop-ins and careers events.
For more information on placements in your department, please contact the following staff:
DIS Administrator Malcom Newbitt firstname.lastname@example.org
DIS Co-ordinator Dr Mark Leaper email@example.com
Further information can be found on your department learn placements page.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Computer programming
- Practical, environmental and business awareness
- Problem solving
- Professional competence
- Team working
- Time management
Careers directly related to your degree:
Careers where degree would be useful:
- Analytical Chemist
- Energy Manager
- Production/Manufacturing Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Mining Engineer
- Quality Manager
- Remember that 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines.
A Chemical Engineering degree develops many skills that are valued not only by engineering employers but also by those in a variety of sectors, including financial services, management and information technology.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Department of Chemical Engineering offers postgraduate taught masters.There are various postgraduate research opportunities from funded PhDs within Chemical Engineering to study within the several doctoral training centres with which AACME is partnered.
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate taught programmes:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Chemical Engineering graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Chemical Engineering
- Main activity: 95% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £30,000 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry locations (professional level roles): 15% stayed in the East Midlands, 24% in the South East, 15% in London, 9% in the East of England, 9% in the North West, 6% in the North East, 6% in Wales, 6% in Yorkshire & the Humber, 3% in Scotland, 3% in the South West.
- Industry sectors (professional level roles): 35% were in manufacturing, 18% were in mining and quarrying, 15% were in financial and insurance activities, 15% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 9% were in information and communication, 3% were in education, 3% were in water supply, sewerage, waste management and remedial activities and 3% were in wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles.
3M, BP Chemicals, British Gypsum, British Sugar, ExxonMobil, EY, GSK, ITM Power, Lloyds Financial, L’Oréal, National Nuclear Laboratory, PwC, Unilever.
Civil Aviation Engineer, Distillation Development Engineer, Drilling Fluids Engineer, Graduate Chemical and Process Engineer, Manufacturing Technology Engineer, Production Management Associate, Scientist, Supply Chain Manager, Auditor, Day Trader, Consultant, Risk Analyst.
Further Study included:
MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering, MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering with IT and Management, MSc Chemical Engineering, MSc Corrosion Control Engineering, MSc Finance and Management, MSc Marketing, PhD in the Incorporation and Deagglomeration of Fine Particles, PhD Chemical Engineering Practice, MPhil Industrial Systems, Manufacture and Management, DPhil in Engineering Science.
Resources to research career areas
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links: