Explore career options
School of Aeronautical and Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering (AACME)
Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Ruth and Joss can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities. They offer Quick Advice careers appointments, both in Bridgeman Building and within the engineering departments that you can book via Careers Online. (You may be seen by one of our other Careers Consultants.)
- Exploring your career options with a 30 minute Careers Consultation.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a consultation.
- Presentations and workshops within departments.
- Workshops on topics such as CVs and interview techniques, and assessment centres.
Based in the Bridgeman building, Tracy can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities, and developing your skills and employability. She has bookable Quick Advice appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within the engineering departments that you can book via Careers Online.
- Meet her at talks, workshops, drop-ins and careers events.
For more information on placements in this department, please contact the following staff:
- DIS Administrator Christine Carlton firstname.lastname@example.org
- DIS Co-ordinator Dr Andrew Watson email@example.com
Further information can be found on your department learn placements page.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Computer programming
- Practical, environmental and business awareness
- Problem solving
- Professional competence
- Project management
- Report writing and presentation skills
- Team working
- Time management
Career areas related to the Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering courses:
- Aerospace Engineer
- Airline Pilot
- Automotive Engineer
- Control and Instrumentation Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Electronics Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Network Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Test Engineer
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- IT Consultant
- Management Consultant
- Multimedia Programmer
- Quality Manager
- Technical Author
- Technical Sales Engineer
- Remember 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines.
The engineering career options are very broad. The majority of graduates move into design engineering roles within large companies, opportunities within HM Forces and students who excel academically can progress to postgraduate studies. The department's degrees are, however, balanced and well-rounded, providing you with the skills required for a professional career in a wide range of sectors; you will be equally attractive to employers in finance, industry, consultancy and public services.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The School of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering offers a taught MSc programme in Automotive Systems Engineering the modules of which can also be run as short courses for automotive engineering professionals.
The school offers postgraduate research opportunities including PhD and some MPhil degrees.
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate Taught programmes:
Professional development websites:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering
- Main activity: 91% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £26,700 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry locations (professional level roles): 30% stayed in the East Midlands, 22% in the West Midlands, 13% in the South East, 9% in the South West, 7% in the East of England, 6% in London, 4% in the North West, 2% in the Channel Isles, 2% in the North East, 2% in Northern Ireland, 2% in Yorkshire & the Humber and 2% in Wales.
- Industry sectors (professional level roles): 54% were in manufacturing, 14% were in public administration and defence, 9% were in information and communication, 7% were in education, 4% were in arts, entertainment and recreation, 4% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 4% were in wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles, 2% were in construction, 2% were in financial and insurance activities, and 2% in transport and storage.
Airbus, Cummins, Deloitte, Jaguar Land Rover, Johnson Matthey, Leonardo Helicopter Division, Rolls-Royce, Sky, Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd, Zodiac Seats UK.
Aeronautical Engineer, Applications Engineer, Associate Software Developer, Commodity Acquisitions Engineer, Engineering Consultant in Motorsports, Graduate Landing Gear Engineer, Legislation Engineer, Test Engineer, Merchandiser, Digital Media Intern.
Further Study included:
MSc Automotive Engineering, MSc Advanced Composites, MSc Sports Bio Mechanics, MRes in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics, PhD Fuel Cells
- eGEMS gives access to destinations information for Loughborough graduates at school and course level.
- View Graduate Profiles from this department
Resources to research career areas
- Automotive sector overview from the Automotive Council UK
- Motor Sport Industry Association: careers information
- Prospects: Aerospace Engineer job description
- Prospects: Automotive Engineer job description
- Prospects: Options with my Aerospace Engineering degree
- TargetJobs: Aerospace Engineering sector overview
- TargetJobs: Automotive Engineering sector overview
- Space Careers UK
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links:
- IET Jobs in Engineering and Technology
- Prospects.ac.uk: jobs search
- The Engineer jobs
- Formula Student
- Just Engineers
- Prospects: Aerospace Engineer vacancy sources
- Prospects: Automotive Engineer vacancy sources
- Target jobs
- The Year in Industry
- Volunteers in Motor Sport
- Engineering Jobs
- Student Ladder
- STEM Women
- Space Careers UK
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Association for Consultancy and Engineering
- Engineering Council
- Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- Motor Industry Association
- Motor Sport Association
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- ADS UK Aerospace, Defence, Security and Space Sectors Trade Organisation
- Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
- Women’s Engineer Society
Sector and labour market information (LMI):
- Engineering and Technology Magazine
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Motorsport Industry News
- Motorsport News
- MIRA Motor Industry Research Association
- Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders news
- Science Daily
- The Engineer: Aerospace
- The Engineer: Automotive
- The Institute of the Motor Industry
- The Student Engineer
- SMMT Motor Industry Facts 2019 report