Explore career options
School of Aeronautical and Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering (AACME)
Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the teams.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Computer programming
- Practical, environmental and business awareness
- Problem solving
- Professional competence
- Project management
- Report writing and presentation skills
- Team working
- Time management
Career areas related to the Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering courses:
- Aerospace Engineer
- Airline Pilot
- Automotive Engineer
- Control and Instrumentation Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Electronics Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Network Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Test Engineer
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- IT Consultant
- Management Consultant
- Multimedia Programmer
- Quality Manager
- Technical Author
- Technical Sales Engineer
- Remember 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines.
The engineering career options are very broad. The majority of graduates move into design engineering roles within large companies, opportunities within HM Forces and students who excel academically can progress to postgraduate studies. The department's degrees are, however, balanced and well-rounded, providing you with the skills required for a professional career in a wide range of sectors; you will be equally attractive to employers in finance, industry, consultancy and public services.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The School of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering offers a taught MSc programme in Automotive Systems Engineering the modules of which can also be run as short courses for automotive engineering professionals.
The school offers postgraduate research opportunities including PhD and some MPhil degrees.
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate Taught programmes:
Professional development websites:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering graduates do?
Graduates from this subject area have gone on to destinations where:
Airbus, Cummins, Deloitte, Jaguar Land Rover, Johnson Matthey, Leonardo Helicopter Division, Rolls-Royce, Sky, Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd, Zodiac Seats UK.
Aeronautical Engineer, Applications Engineer, Associate Software Developer, Commodity Acquisitions Engineer, Engineering Consultant in Motorsports, Graduate Landing Gear Engineer, Legislation Engineer, Test Engineer, Merchandiser, Digital Media Intern.
Further Study included:
MSc Automotive Engineering, MSc Advanced Composites, MSc Sports Bio Mechanics, MRes in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics, PhD Fuel Cells
For more information on companies graduates work for, industry links and career opportunities, visit the subject area page of the University website. You can also find out what our students say in our student stories of personal journeys through and beyond Loughborough and track the career journeys and Loughborough experiences of some of our alumni.
Resources to research career areas
- Automotive sector overview from the Automotive Council UK
- Motor Sport Industry Association: careers information
- Prospects: Aerospace Engineer job description
- Prospects: Automotive Engineer job description
- Prospects: Options with my Aerospace Engineering degree
- TargetJobs: Aerospace Engineering sector overview
- TargetJobs: Automotive Engineering sector overview
- Space Careers UK
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Aeronautical Engineering student placement profile.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links:
- IET Jobs in Engineering and Technology
- Prospects.ac.uk: jobs search
- The Engineer jobs
- Formula Student
- Just Engineers
- Prospects: Aerospace Engineer vacancy sources
- Prospects: Automotive Engineer vacancy sources
- Target jobs
- The Year in Industry
- Volunteers in Motor Sport
- Engineering Jobs
- Student Ladder
- STEM Women
- Space Careers UK
Talentview Aviation free to use recruitment platform for a range of opportunities in the Aviation industry
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Association for Consultancy and Engineering
- Engineering Council
- Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- Motor Sport Industry Association
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- ADS UK Aerospace, Defence, Security and Space Sectors Trade Organisation
- Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
- Women’s Engineer Society
Sector and labour market information (LMI):
- Engineering and Technology Magazine
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Motorsport Industry News
- Motorsport News
- MIRA Motor Industry Research Association
- Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders news
- Science Daily
- The Engineer: Aerospace
- The Engineer: Automotive
- The Institute of the Motor Industry
- The Student Engineer
- SMMT Motor Industry Facts 2019 report